Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
11-01-2016, 01:14 PM   #31
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I'm sure it's just training.
I'm suspect you're right. I only started using back-button-focusing with my K-3, and later transferred it to my K-5 too. Had I learned that approach on the K-5 initially, I'm sure I'd have no problem with it

11-01-2016, 08:11 PM   #32

Original Poster
Many thanks to all the comments and help which I will take on board and explore .
Reason I have several make of cameras especially the DF is that I have many lenses Left over from my film days and able to use them all .
The M2/3 is a handy camera having inbuilt stabilization , as my years progress my shake is not getting better , hence cameras with shake reduction .
I have also always liked and used Pentax in film days , it having the advantage of able to use legacy lenses and inbuilt shake reduction and bigger
sensor made perfect sense to go with Pentax K3 .
One question if I may , Can I use a 2x teleplus MC7 with DFA 50 lens or any autofocus lens with aperture ring , with manual focus .
What I would like to do is use the 2x with autofocus lenses bit able to use the aperture ring and manual focus . Can that be done ?
11-01-2016, 09:20 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure I know that teleconverter. But you can definitely use a manual focus teleconverter as long as the aperture level linkage works. You will need to shoot in M mode with the green button triggering metering if you want to meter.

I used an FA* 300 this way with the A series 1.4x-s. That teleconverter allows direct aperture control from the body.
11-02-2016, 03:47 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Renato Quote
One question if I may , Can I use a 2x teleplus MC7 with DFA 50 lens or any autofocus lens with aperture ring , with manual focus .
What I would like to do is use the 2x with autofocus lenses bit able to use the aperture ring and manual focus . Can that be done ?
I'm assuming you are talking about this one Kenko 2x MC7 DG AF Teleplus 2X Magnification Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database which I believe was made by Tokina. The teleconverter should transmit data from the lens to the camera. You can use the apeture ring if you wish but it really is not necessary unless you are using extension tubes. To use the aperture ring you will have to enable "Use Apeture Ring" in the menu and use stop down metering. The lens may or may not autofocus. 2X Teleconverters have always been more bother than good for me. I get much better results from 1.4 and 1.7 converters.

09-04-2020, 06:00 AM   #35
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Scintilla Quote
If sharpness is of paramount importance, don't forget to turn off the simulated anti-aliasing filter on the K-3.
I have noticed a sharpness difference in the k-3 when using a tripod and timer with the shake reduction being off vs on . I think they are sharper when its off .
09-04-2020, 06:05 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Scintilla Quote
If sharpness is of paramount importance, don't forget to turn off the simulated anti-aliasing filter on the K-3.
It is off by default.
09-04-2020, 07:06 AM   #37
Pentaxian

My wife uses a Tampon MC7 telephoto with her Tampon 90 with great results, both autofocus and manual focus. I have used it with the DFA 100, but not the 50 macro. A 50 macro with a 2x is a 100 macro with ƒ4. The DFA 100 macro lets in twice the amount of light for focusing.

No pictures are posted so I can't comment on your results, but yesterday out with my K-1, I achieved the DoF I wanted using ƒ22. With my K-3 I'd go as high as ƒ16 for close to the same DoF. The smaller sensor of and Olympus will make IBIS easier to achieve, there is less sensor to move, and will achieve wider DoF at wider aperture, but that, depends on you not taking advantage of a tripod, a long shutter speed with asmaller aperture setting, and pixel shift.

K-1 and DFA 100 macro

So if you're going to compare with your Olympus, you might want to look at an equivalence table to make sure you get the same DoF with both cameras. It will be easier with the smaller sensor, you can get it done with a larger sensor. Assuming you get the image at all with a longer exposure you'll have better results with the K-3 if everything is perfect for it. A subject that doesn't move, a tripod, a long exposure and ƒ16 of ƒ22 on APS-c.

The defraction limit will come sooner on your Olympus given equal MP, (so say compared to a K-5) but should be about the same as the K-3. You can definitely achieve more detail on a K-3 but that depends on you, and circumstances. If your Olympus capture all necessary detail, a K-3 image won't look much different. However there will be circumstances where the K-3 blows it away. What percentage of the time (if ever) you can actually exploit that is anyone's guess. It could happen in any photo, but it could also not happen ever. If you're happy with the Olympus, and your work flow is such that you aren't taking advantage of the extra resolution of the K-3 it will be easier to work with the Olympus. I also note your choice of the 50 macro. I have better results with my longer lenses, to the point I've stopped using it. The DFA 100 macro is my choice, because my wife uses our Tampon 90 and I wanted something a little different. The 50 macro has become the red haired orphan that nobody wants. But that's just us.

09-04-2020, 07:12 AM - 2 Likes   #38
Pentaxian

Darn spell check. My wife uses the Tamron MC7 2x
09-04-2020, 07:28 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Darn spell check. My wife uses the Tamron MC7 2x
Honestly it brought a smile to me which I needed. Lol. We all knew what you meant, but it did let us giggle a little.
10-01-2020, 01:35 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good tools make good pictures.

10-01-2020, 01:54 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Hello ,
I have just joined the forum hope I can get some help with my new Pentax K3 Camera .
I purchased it because of the larger sensor , 24MP and have the option of getting further away from the subject and being able to crop , I do realize that it is best to compose the image in the first place , but I take mainly macros of wild flowers so it is not always able to fill the frame for all sorts of reasons .
regrettably have found that the image quality is not as good as I get on my Olympus OMD1 having a smaller sensor of 16MP .
I am using a DFA 2:8 50mm Macro lens , not a cheap lens by any means .
What am I doing wrong ? Or is 16 MP the optimum sensor size ?
Any help is welcome .
Welcome here.

I used a 8mp Canon, then a 16mp Pentax K-30, now a 24mp Pentax KP. Before I ever switched to Pentax, I had noticed that shutter speed needs to be higher in digital than I had become accustomed to when using film, so I went up even to even a faster shutter when using 24mp instead of 16mp. That is the first thing I would look at in your position.