Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-04-2016, 02:20 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Thinking of getting K3 II after K50 died

Darn K50 developed the aperture block issue... It just went 2.5 years with very light use and luckily I have two of them. The used unit I bought from Pentax forum member still works great...

Saw the K3 II deal with D-BG5 Grip. Does the K3 II have any common model specific issues too?

Please chime in about your likes and dislikes of the K3 II - thanks.

I would probably not utilize close to 80% of the features, only a hobbyist but I do shoot raw and full manual. Most photography from me are just snap shots of family, vacation, and kids.

Also, any forum members interested in buying the grip from me if I get the camera? Would $200 be a reasonable price to sell the grip in the for-sale forum?

Thanks...

11-04-2016, 02:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ejhc11 Quote
Most photography from me are just snap shots of family, vacation, and kids.
Think about the K-3. I have the K-3ii and am quite comfortable with attaching an external flash when I need it. For what you intend to use it for, the on-board flash would be a distinct advantage.
11-04-2016, 02:42 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I went from k-50 to k-3 and loved the transition. The k-3ii was available but the lack of on board flash made me uncomfortable and it was more expensive. The pixel shift and gps and kaf4 lens compatibility are good features however and might be worth it. Your intended use seems likely to be well served by an onboard flash however.
11-04-2016, 02:48 PM   #4
Forum Member

Unless you definitely want the on-board flash, K-3II is a great camera. Two features stand out - Pixel shift and GPS - but not available on K-3. I upgraded from K-5IIs and K-S2 to K-3II.

11-04-2016, 03:11 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks all for the replies and I overlooked that the K3 II didn't have a flash! Yes, I never invested in a Pentax flash when I re-branded to Pentax. I had a nice Canon 580 exII when I was with Canon DSLRs...

Yes K3 would be a good choice for those times you need a flash. Where to buy K3? Adorama and BH don't sell them anymore.
11-04-2016, 03:25 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks all for the replies and I overlooked that the K3 II didn't have a flash! Yes, I never invested in a Pentax flash when I re-branded to Pentax. I had a nice Canon 580 exII when I was with Canon DSLRs...

Yes K3 would be a good choice for those times you need a flash. Where to buy K3? Adorama and BH don't sell them anymore.
There are several in the market place (none mine!) Here Here Here

Maybe others, just do a search: "for sale k-3" without the quotes.
11-04-2016, 03:31 PM   #7
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

lightly used K-3's are available here in the Marketplace...

and a few on Amazon, as well...

11-04-2016, 03:56 PM   #8
mee
Veteran Member

That grip goes for less than 100 USD used most times. B&H had a few last (maybe still?) week for 89 used in 8 or 9 condition (good).

Until recently, it was retailing for around 150 USD brand new. Don't believe the inflated super price they now show..
11-04-2016, 04:36 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Selling outside of the marketplace is against the rules, so just be careful there

The K-3 II has proven to be very reliable ever since Pentax fixed a minor glitch in the first production batch. A lot of members switched to the K-3 family after their K-50 failed, and it's definitely a sound plan. The K-3 should last many more years than a K-50 would because of the better build quality and internals. It's actually rated for 200,000 shots!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-04-2016, 05:09 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks all for the info everyone and links.

No I didn't mean to sell it here Adam, sorry! Just wanted an idea of a price and interest of the grip before it was posted in the marketplace, if I did get a K3 II you posted.

K3 or K3 II camera sounds like a plan!
11-04-2016, 05:42 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I'm keeping my K-3. I got a K-1 for the GPS, so, I'm passing on the K-3ii, but. but I'm also planning on using my K-3 for some types of shooting until it dies, and I've never had a Pentax camera die unless we dropped it. (First K-x and K10D.) I can see myself using it 5 or more years from now. It's not great at anything, but it's better than average at just about everything.
11-04-2016, 06:22 PM   #12
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Really there isn't much between the K-3 and K-3ii.

The popup flash on the K-3 can act as a wireless controller for an off-camera flash. I like it for use with this for birds and other wildlife: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/256288...-extender.html But most people probably prefer the extra features of the K-3ii, particularly pixel shift and GPS. Also, unlike the K-3, the K-3ii can use KAF4 lenses - the only one at present is the DA 55-300 PLM, but there will no doubt be more to come.

You should also consider the K-70, which has the same sensor and some extra goodies like a flippy screen. It's lighter in weight and takes the same batteries as the K-50. See the recent in-depth PF review. But it has a less-advanced AF system, and lacks other features found in the flagship model, including greater durability, better dust control system, top LCD, dual card slots, extra buttons (e.g. one for ISO), more customization, and many other things.

Whichever model you get, you will find the 24mp sensor challenges you more. It can give breathtaking images, but you need to concentrate on technique: e.g. every slight misfocus shows up. The 24mp sensor is great if you crop a lot (e.g. for photographing birds).

Last edited by Des; 11-04-2016 at 06:29 PM.
11-04-2016, 09:15 PM   #13

Amazon should have some used ones as well (but buying from members here would probably be safer in terms of not getting a dud).
11-04-2016, 09:43 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Better build quality, ability to add a grip, GPS, dual card....

the list goes on and on. If this camera is on your radar and your have the money, go for it.
11-04-2016, 10:14 PM   #15

Original Poster
Yes if I can't find a nice K3 might have to splurge on the K3 II.

Also, someone suggested the K70, but wasn't it on this forum I read that it might also have the aperture block issue like my K50 too? Some posts were saying to buy extra warranty for the K70. I opted out of buying the K70 because of that reason. Otherwise K70 is more than enough DSLR for my usage.

Thanks all...