Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2016, 07:31 AM   #1

K3 vs K3II

Hi I am thinking of buying either new or s/hand a Pentax K3 / K3II to upgrade from my K7.
I was wondering basically the only difference between the 2 is GPS rather than built in flash a slightly faster FPS .
Is there any thing else different between them?
To be honest I dont use the built in flash & dont see any great need ( to me ) for the GPS ( I know you can buy a ad on GPS )
Thanks

11-23-2016, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the K-3ii is an improvement over the original K-3. GPS, Sensor Shift High Resolution Image are just a few improvements. If you don't need this and can save a few bucks, by all means the K-3 will serve you well. Personally, the high resolution mode would be awesome to try and I have wanted to use the GPS for astro tracer technology, so I would go with the K-3ii.

Also, Second hand Pentax APS-C cameras can go as low as 40% lower than their new price. That kind of deal is hard to refuse considering these cameras are built like tanks. A K-3 or K-3ii with 80,000 shutter count is going to last you a long time and you may save a lot of money if you find one in good condition.
11-23-2016, 07:42 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for that
11-23-2016, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Just get the K-3II. It's already KAF4 compliant with a firmware update. The K-3 is officially off the store shelves in the USA & what you'll find is someone trying to gouge people for an older camera.

11-23-2016, 07:51 AM   #5

Original Poster
The K3 s I am looking at are all s/hand
11-23-2016, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #6
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Personally I'd go for the one I could find the cheapest. I very rarely use the on-board flash, but nice to have in a pinch. I very rarely miss having a GPS, but it certainly would be fun to try some astro photography. I don't see myself using pixel shift for anything. And I'm fairly certain there'll be no KAF4 lenses I'm interested in for quite some time yet. So I'd call it a draw in my case.

Edit: Firmware 1.30 for the K-3 equaled out the KAF4 difference.

Last edited by savoche; 11-25-2016 at 04:01 AM.
11-23-2016, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Here are the differences between the K-3 II and the K-3:
+Built-in GPS
+Pixel Shift Resolution
+4.5 stops of SR (instead of 4, no practical difference IMO)
+Support for the 55-300mm PLM via firmware update (firmware v1.30 for the K-3 also added support today!)
-No built-in flash

At this point I'd recommend the K-3 II over the K-3 unless the flash is important to you, just because you can get it with warranty and because it supports the latest lenses.

In terms of image quality, the two are pretty much identical. PSR has its uses but it's not something you'd be enabling for everyday shooting.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-23-2016, 09:57 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

I would recommend the K-3II. As already mentioned, it is the newer model, and with it comes the newer features and technology.
11-23-2016, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

I'm still using my K-3. If you an get one for an excellent price, go for it. I have also added a K-1 so I have better low light capability, AF4 and GPS. Between a K-3 and K-3 II, personally a K-3 and a good lens, or money in the bank saving for a good lens would probably be my choice. A K-70 might not be a bad option either, for pixel shift and KF4.

Last edited by normhead; 11-23-2016 at 06:50 PM.
11-23-2016, 11:03 AM - 1 Like   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I would go for k3 and saved money would put into some extra equipment , lenses or filters. Improvements in k3 II aren't worth putting more money for it. It's the same image sensor and same autofocus .
11-23-2016, 11:05 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

The K-3 does not support KAF4 lens technology that is present in newer Pentax lenses. The K-3II does.
11-23-2016, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #12
Forum Member

I am using K-7 and decided to buy the K-3II.
K-3 is no longer available and I had to choose between K-3II and the newer K70.
For me main advantage of K-3II are more sophisticated autofocus, more direct controls and better overall build, the only thing I will miss is built-in flash.
But if the flash of K70 would have possibility to control wireless flashes, the choice would be much harder.
11-23-2016, 06:48 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Well, what do you know. Now the K-3 can also use the 55-300mm PLM and KAF4 lenses:

Pentax K-3 Firmware v1.30 Released - Firmware Updates | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-23-2016, 06:55 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Well, what do you know. Now the K-3 can also use the 55-300mm PLM and KAF4 lenses:

Pentax K-3 Firmware v1.30 Released - Firmware Updates | PentaxForums.com
I'm taking my K-1 back,,,,

But seriously folks, there is one KAF4 lens and its a 55-300.

But you wonder, how many of the lenses on the lens map are KAF4. Clearly with all the new D FAs being old technology, they haven't been planning for the sudden release of a pile of KAF4 lenses. Are all new lenses going to be KAF4, or i KAF3 going to continue and KAF4 is just so the third party guys can release their lenses for Pentax again?
11-23-2016, 07:13 PM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm taking my K-1 back,,,,

But seriously folks, there is one KAF4 lens and its a 55-300.

But you wonder, how many of the lenses on the lens map are KAF4. Clearly with all the new D FAs being old technology, they haven't been planning for the sudden release of a pile of KAF4 lenses. Are all new lenses going to be KAF4, or i KAF3 going to continue and KAF4 is just so the third party guys can release their lenses for Pentax again?
I don't think any consideration is being given to third party manufacturers. The lever may be simpler to implement, even, especially on manual focus lenses.

KAF4 does allow for smoother/more precise aperture adjustments and possibly lower costs in the long run.

It's hard to say if all future lenses will be KAF4. My hunch is eventually yes, but not in the near future. Unsupported bodies should all be obsolete before the standard goes mainstream.

I think Pentax will go in the footsteps of Nikon's E lenses.