Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-26-2016, 08:01 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sterby Quote
I use the Pentax Flucard for a pseudo limited tethering solution, it works half the time. Actually it is exactly half the time more than having no tethering option whatsoever.
I'm using the Flucard also, it work all the time but the speed of photo transfer is not as fast as "real" tethering

11-26-2016, 06:45 PM   #17

I have updated to 1.30. When I customize the JPEG settings, the settings for Sharpness, Fine, and Extra cannot be set individually.

When I select one of the sharpness settings and adjust, the adjustment is also applied to the other two settings. At least that is what is displayed.

Anyone else experiencing this?
11-27-2016, 06:03 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GrinMode Quote
I have updated to 1.30. When I customize the JPEG settings, the settings for Sharpness, Fine, and Extra cannot be set individually.

When I select one of the sharpness settings and adjust, the adjustment is also applied to the other two settings. At least that is what is displayed.

I think that has been the case for at least the last two or so firmware updates if not all along. I can't remember if the original firmware version would let you do that. I've been shooting to RAW for about a year and a half so my old memory is a bit foggy.

Larry
11-27-2016, 01:14 PM   #19

The FW update was total horror for me. I booted with menu on and then selected 1.11->1.30 and saw loading blinking and access for SD card. SD card led went blank and loading kept blinking. I put the camera on table and stared the blinking loading and wondered if it bricked. Then suddenly the blinking loading went away and saw the complete message. I rebooted and checked the firmware version. 1.30 YES!

I wonder how difficult it is to put some understandable status messages. Loading: the binary is loaded to memory. Writing: The binary is written to flash and verify: the just written data is checked.

11-27-2016, 05:09 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I think that has been the case for at least the last two or so firmware updates if not all along. I can't remember if the original firmware version would let you do that. I've been shooting to RAW for about a year and a half so my old memory is a bit foggy.

Larry
Thanks! I only tried updating JPEG settings recently, after the update to be exact. I'm primarily a RAW shooter .

But the setting works as expected in my K-30. Surprising that this 'bug' is already 2 versions old.
11-30-2016, 02:52 PM   #21

Thank you Pentax for listening and providing this update!

11-30-2016, 08:36 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by anemone Quote
I wonder how difficult it is to put some understandable status messages. Loading: the binary is loaded to memory. Writing: The binary is written to flash and verify: the just written data is checked.
Or a simple loading bar from empty to full, it'd be visual and easy enough to understand

Last edited by redcat; 11-30-2016 at 08:45 PM.
12-01-2016, 03:34 AM   #23

Photos: Albums
It is not something you will look at every day, no real need for an overly visualized interface. Although they should have set it so the "Complete" stays on until you press the any key.
12-03-2016, 03:55 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Pentax FTW. I wonder if they will decide to update any other bodies firmware? Very cool that they did this. Shows that it was just a firmware limitation like many thought, on at least these two models that just got it.
12-09-2016, 10:13 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster

This isn't a bug at all. The firmware is essentially asking you how you want to adjust sharpness for radius (fineness setting) and strength. The regular setting - "Sharpness" - is a larger radius; the - "Fine" setting - is a tighter radius; the "Extra" - is a very tight radius. I tested all three, and strongly prefer "Fine" setting as it manages to improve the edges without contributing much in the way of artifacts or halos. Pentax is so conservative with its default settings that I actually have no problem with Fine Sharpness hiked to +2, even though I am not at all a sharpness freak. I don't rely much at all on JPEG, but these settings are optimal just in case I need to work with a JPEG, and it really helps with defining video acuity. The K-3 video is closer to the decent level and can approach a film look when adding fine sharpness (and working the other settings, including all three contrast settings).
12-14-2016, 05:06 PM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
This isn't a bug at all. The firmware is essentially asking you how you want to adjust sharpness for radius (fineness setting) and strength. The regular setting - "Sharpness" - is a larger radius; the - "Fine" setting - is a tighter radius; the "Extra" - is a very tight radius. I tested all three, and strongly prefer "Fine" setting as it manages to improve the edges without contributing much in the way of artifacts or halos. Pentax is so conservative with its default settings that I actually have no problem with Fine Sharpness hiked to +2, even though I am not at all a sharpness freak. I don't rely much at all on JPEG, but these settings are optimal just in case I need to work with a JPEG, and it really helps with defining video acuity. The K-3 video is closer to the decent level and can approach a film look when adding fine sharpness (and working the other settings, including all three contrast settings).
Thanks for the info.

So you can only choose one mode of sharpening and, the level for that. You cannot set an individual level simultaneously for each mode of sharpening.

I always had in my mind that you can, like an graphic equalizer. But then again as I wrote, I'm more of a RAW shooter an very seldom look into the JPEG settings .
12-14-2016, 08:22 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info.

So you can only choose one mode of sharpening and, level of impact for that. You cannot set an individual level simultaneously for each mode of sharpening.

I always had in my mind that you can, like an graphic equalizer. But then again as I wrote, I'm more of a RAW shooter an very seldom look into the JPEG settings .
You have it right now.

Pentax does a very poor job about explaining this, and originally I had the same idea as you did until the bulb lit up in my mind. Sound happens at all the different wavelengths and can be boosted or lowered as desired. Image sharpening (or softening) really only has two essential variables covering the entire image - radius and sharpen-to-blur amount. So, the three Pentax categories available to select are designating the radius - and I would guess by the looks of it that "Fine" sharpening is somewhere in the 1.2 to 2 pixel sweet-spot. The +/- gives you the range of sharp to blur with 0 neither sharpening nor blurring. Obviously, this applies only to JPEG and video, not the RAW file (other than instructions to the converter - if supported). As soon as you switch from the "fine" setting to one of the other two, you are telling the camera you want change the radius accordingly. So, you don't have an option to select more than one radius (fineness setting) for tuning.

I'd be tempted to hike the sharpening even higher in video to try to overcome the limitations of compression and middling bitrate on these Pentax bodies, but that's a whole different kettle of fish.

Last edited by ScooterMaxi Jim; 12-14-2016 at 08:29 PM.