Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-28-2016, 02:16 PM   #16

Original Poster
Sorry I wrote in a hurry my last post.

The problem is that autofocus drops out and M is lighted in viewfinder. Rotating the lens in mount fixes that. And it moves quite easily. Generally all my lenses have small play so I can tilt it vertically or horizontally. There is also some play in locking pin. rotational is 1-2 millimetres on right next to mount and tilting is just noticeable. However there isn't any light leak. For comparison all my lenses are rather tight fits to old K100 body. Some rotational play is in locking pin but k-3 is much more looser isn't as that tight as K100.

The 150-500 is mounted from lens. It is so heavy and long that my figure of nerd can't handle it. But still when I aim the camera, there is some torsion and it requires very gently touch to do that. It takes all the fun out to just think if AF will be there when I move the camera. So that's the qualification of horrible.

I keep wondering. The 70-300 has screw drive and it suffers also. Is it some pin with bad connection after all making these problems?

I wiped mount and flanges and got my wipe black. Tomorrow is again shooting day and I'll let you know if there is any difference.

11-28-2016, 02:21 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by anemone Quote
Sorry I wrote in a hurry my last post.

The problem is that autofocus drops out and M is lighted in viewfinder. Rotating the lens in mount fixes that. And it moves quite easily. Generally all my lenses have small play so I can tilt it vertically or horizontally. There is also some play in locking pin. rotational is 1-2 millimetres on right next to mount and tilting is just noticeable. However there isn't any light leak. For comparison all my lenses are rather tight fits to old K100 body. Some rotational play is in locking pin but k-3 is much more looser isn't as that tight as K100.

The 150-500 is mounted from lens. It is so heavy and long that my figure of nerd can't handle it. But still when I aim the camera, there is some torsion and it requires very gently touch to do that. It takes all the fun out to just think if AF will be there when I move the camera. So that's the qualification of horrible.

I keep wondering. The 70-300 has screw drive and it suffers also. Is it some pin with bad connection after all making these problems?

I wiped mount and flanges and got my wipe black. Tomorrow is again shooting day and I'll let you know if there is any difference.
This just sounds like awful mount tolerance. Has this camera been dropped? I can't imagine being able to get 1-2 mm of rotation or being able to get any tilt out of a mounted lens. Something is rotten. I would suggest this camera and some lenses be taken to a repair shop - particularly since it seems camera body specific. I stand by my statement earlier - perhaps the Adaptist mount replacement would be your cheapest option - it provides a new mount that is known to be flat and works. WR will be less but that's better than a sloppy mount.

Pentax K+ Multi-Mount (WR version) - Adaptist

---------- Post added 11-28-16 at 04:23 PM ----------

BTW - on the Adaptist website they talk about their mount and how the mount can become looser fitting for K mount lenses over time. They suggest fixes on this page - they may generalize to your original equipment mount also.

Remedial action for Loosened K mount lens mounting - Adaptist
11-28-2016, 02:28 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

... And it moves quite easily. Generally all my lenses have small play so I can tilt it vertically or horizontally. There is also some play in locking pin. rotational is 1-2 millimetres on right next to mount and tilting is just noticeable. However there isn't any light leak.
1-2mm is a lot of movement! And, with regard to tilting - that should result in light leaks. I have to ask: Is the mount, per chance, loose on the camera body? Has the camera had a bump or fall?
11-28-2016, 03:22 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

There is also some play in locking pin. rotational is 1-2 millimetres on right next to mount and tilting is just noticeable.
That should not be possible. That pin provides registration to the mount contacts. If it is loose that would indicate significant damage has been done to the lens release mechanism and/or the mirror box onto which all of this is mounted.

Steve

11-28-2016, 03:28 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

1-2 mm sounds small but it is huge in terms of tolerance - perhaps this is just an estimate that is overly large in units and not an actual distance.

A short video showing the problems would help immensely.
11-29-2016, 07:56 AM   #21

Original Poster
Here are some videos to show I'm not crazy. I had phone in one hand supporting the camera and another hand twisting the lens. So it isn't that high quality. And my phone has many features but camera isn't one of the most usable ones.

11-29-2016, 11:41 AM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Here are some videos to show I'm not crazy. I had phone in one hand supporting the camera and another hand twisting the lens. So it isn't that high quality. And my phone has many features but camera isn't one of the most usable ones.

Pentax 18-135 - YouTube
Sigma 70-300 - YouTube
You've got problems. The video at top show the lens moving sideways as it is twisted. Something is broken.

Steve

11-29-2016, 02:36 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You've got problems. The video at top show the lens moving sideways as it is twisted. Something is broken.

Steve
I agree. You'll need to have that checked. There's something badly wrong there.