Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2016, 10:20 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K3 sensor stuck in up position

Hi, I just came back from a photo trip and it seems that my K3´s sensor is stuck (i use composition adjustment in LV a lot) i can not recenter the sensor and when taking pictures with the Da 14 with a filter or the lens hood on i get vignetting on the upper part. I suppose IS is not working either. I can move the sensor from left to right, but not up and down, it seems to have gotten stuck in the upper position. Has anyone encountered a similar problem?

Last edited by mgbirder; 11-30-2016 at 10:28 AM.
11-30-2016, 10:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Try turning it off and on again / leaving the battery out for a bit / resetting the camera.
11-30-2016, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Vignetting on the upper part of the image means the sensor is stuck or not moving from it's lower limit of motion.

What happens if you turn the camera upside down while it's on in liveview? Does the image and vignetting shift to the other side (i.e., the vertical motion system has no power) or does the vignetting stay in the same place (the sensor is stuck)?

If it's stuck, a bit of percussive maintenance might do the trick (hold the camera upside down and tap on the hotshoe). If it's not powered, you could try a factory reset but the problem may be more serious.
11-30-2016, 11:22 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Vignetting on the upper part of the image means the sensor is stuck or not moving from it's lower limit of motion.

What happens if you turn the camera upside down while it's on in liveview? Does the image and vignetting shift to the other side (i.e., the vertical motion system has no power) or does the vignetting stay in the same place (the sensor is stuck)?

If it's stuck, a bit of percussive maintenance might do the trick (hold the camera upside down and tap on the hotshoe). If it's not powered, you could try a factory reset but the problem may be more serious.
its stuck, i can hear the sensor moving when shifting left to right, but it does not move when trying to move it up or down, i tried the percussive maintenance and reset, but the problem persists

11-30-2016, 12:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The sensor on my K-3 got stuck under a really weird angle and the right edge of the images was blurry. It took me several years to figure out, what exactly went wrong, as I attributed the problems to decentered lenses. I had all the reasons to think so, because certain lenses were not affected by the issue. Only after my images started to develop a severe tilt, despite the fact that electronic level showed that the camera is perfectly alligned, I decided to inspect the sensor position. Actually there was another manifestation of the sensor assembly failure: in live view the camera rattled, as if attempting to compensate for the shaking hands.
The camera was sent to a European service centre by the local dealer. They estimated the cost of repairs as 600 €, stating that the entire sensor assembly had to be replaced. I sold the camera for parts or repairs for roughly 250 $ via e-bay. The buyer was extremely happy. Since July this year I am a happy owner of K-3 II.
11-30-2016, 02:18 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mgbirder Quote
its stuck, i can hear the sensor moving when shifting left to right, but it does not move when trying to move it up or down, i tried the percussive maintenance and reset, but the problem persists
I tried it once again and for some strange reason on one occasion the vignette disappeared, but then it happened again (I am shooting withe the 14 mm with the hood on to replicate the issue). To rule out a firmware related issue I updated to 1.3 but the problem persists...

Last edited by mgbirder; 11-30-2016 at 02:29 PM.
11-30-2016, 02:55 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you operated the camera on a long exposure or on Blub mode with the lens removed so you can see what the sensor is doing?

Regards

Chris

11-30-2016, 03:17 PM   #8

Did you try operating the manual dust removal cycle? How about when you put it into sensor cleaning mode?
11-30-2016, 04:46 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Did you try operating the manual dust removal cycle? How about when you put it into sensor cleaning mode?
Yes, did that, no change :-(
12-01-2016, 10:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
The K-3 has only been out for two years this month, so I can't see how it took you "several years" to figure out.

Incidentally, lenses decentered from the factory are exceedingly rare, despite what many online, including on this forum, would have you believe. If you are having decentering problems on multiple lenses and have not dropped or otherwise whacked them, chances are it will be, as in this case, the camera body that is the problem.
I bought the camera when it came out. And in spring 2016, when the images developed a severe tilt, I finally understood something is wrong with the body. So it is more than a year, which makes the usage of word "several" justified.
12-01-2016, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The K-3 has only been out for two years this month, so I can't see how it took you "several years" to figure out.
Time dilation???

QuoteOriginally posted by Stagnant Quote
I bought the camera when it came out. And in spring 2016, when the images developed a severe tilt, I finally understood something is wrong with the body. So it is more than a year, which makes the usage of word "several" justified.
Several is technically more than two...

Steve
01-04-2017, 05:59 PM   #12
rfg

HMMM, bought mine December 2013. Makes it 3 years ago...
01-04-2017, 06:29 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rfg Quote
HMMM, bought mine December 2013. Makes it 3 years ago...
Mine was bought in November 2013, FWIW.

Back on topic, I suspect a service centre repair is in order for the OP's K-3, unless they feel brave or qualified enough to pull the body apart to investigate. Not something I'd take on lightly.
04-25-2017, 02:16 AM   #14

Just wondering if this story had a happy ending?
04-26-2017, 05:08 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FilmORbitz Quote
Just wondering if this story had a happy ending?
Not exactly, the problem is, that I live in Bolivia, there is no service center here that I trust to make such a repair, and sending my camera to a authorized service center in the US and paying the eventual repair would cost me around about what a used K3 is worth at the moment. I bought a K1 and use the K3 for telephoto applications until I get back to Colombia where I will try my luck with a technician I know.