Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-30-2016, 10:49 AM   #1
Forum Member

K3II infrared remote ???

Will the K3 II camera shutter be released with a infrared remote trigger? Thanks
Bill

11-30-2016, 11:04 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Yes. Any IR remote labeled as working with a Pentax camera will do it. I've paid as little as $1.67USD for one (admittedly shipped by slow boat from China). You may (likely) have to tweak your Menu in regards to shutter release priority and auto-focus with shutter release.

If you have never used an IR release before there are a couple things to keep in mind - the IR beam is line of sight* between the LED in the remote and the IR sensor window on your camera. There are limits as to how far off-center you can be. *in a room without direct sunlight, you might be able to bounce the beam off a surface like a wall. Results will vary.

The sun is a huge emitter of IR energy. And the more directly it is shinning on your remote or camera sensor, the shorter your effective working distance. The tiny LED in your remote is sending a specific signal over the IR frequency, but the sun is sending white noise over the whole IR range. It is sort of like trying to hold a conversation across a room with a cocktail party in between. If your co-conversationalist can't understand what you are saying, you have to move closer. The same goes for your remote.

Beyond that, some IR remotes have additional features like a separate AF button or weatherproofing. While I have and use an IR remote release, I tend to prefer using a wired release when possible.They are simply more reliable.
11-30-2016, 11:04 AM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes I use the Pentax O-RC1 with mine.
11-30-2016, 11:19 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks gentlemen appreciate it

Bill

11-30-2016, 11:22 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use my Android phone and the free DSLR Remote app by bitshift. DSLR Remote was developed using Pentax cameras and has a high degree of compatibility as well as a few neat features.

Steve
11-30-2016, 12:27 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I use my Android phone and the free DSLR Remote app by bitshift. DSLR Remote was developed using Pentax cameras and has a high degree of compatibility as well as a few neat features.

Steve
Forgot about this option. It does depend on your phone being equipped with an IR Blaster. I'm sure there are exceptions, but mostly it is only top end Android phones that have this feature.
11-30-2016, 03:35 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Forgot about this option. It does depend on your phone being equipped with an IR Blaster. I'm sure there are exceptions, but mostly it is only top end Android phones that have this feature.
Hmmmmm...I will be sure and note that the next time I give this advice. I bought my phone a couple of years ago and the IR blaster was pretty much a standard feature at that time. Since then, things have apparently changed. The good news is that most will still support an IR dongle that may be had for very little money.

Steve

11-30-2016, 06:10 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hmmmmm...I will be sure and note that the next time I give this advice. I bought my phone a couple of years ago and the IR blaster was pretty much a standard feature at that time. Since then, things have apparently changed. The good news is that most will still support an IR dongle that may be had for very little money.

Steve
I agree until the Android world decides to emulate the newest iPhone and eliminate the headphone jack!
11-30-2016, 09:36 PM - 1 Like   #9
Closed Account

The good news is that most will still support an IR dongle that may be had for very little money.
Hi Steve. I thought the mention of " IR dongles " was only permitted in NSFW threads !!!
01-27-2017, 02:55 AM   #10

Here's a quick hack.

1. Get any cheap universal remote.
2. Program the first code for SONY DVD Player
3. Test the D-Pad. All directions except up should trigger the camera.

Using this with excellent range on camera (6m and more) in broad daylight.
01-27-2017, 02:57 AM   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ender.wiggin Quote
Here's a quick hack.

1. Get any cheap universal remote.
2. Program the first code for SONY DVD Player
3. Test the D-Pad. All directions except up should trigger the camera.

Using this with excellent range on camera (6m and more) in broad daylight.
That's quite cool, but I'd have thought a cheap universal remote is more expensive (and a lot bigger) than some of the off-brand IR remotes on eBay - no?
01-27-2017, 03:08 AM   #12

Well, I got a rather complex one from Lidl for around 7 EUR. I had previously played around with an aftermarket camera dedicated one - Micnova brand or whatever. It used a 12 volt battery, which would drain in a heartbeat and the range was rubbish. I couldn't even trigger the camera from 1m away in daylight.
01-27-2017, 04:23 AM   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ender.wiggin Quote
Well, I got a rather complex one from Lidl for around 7 EUR. I had previously played around with an aftermarket camera dedicated one - Micnova brand or whatever. It used a 12 volt battery, which would drain in a heartbeat and the range was rubbish. I couldn't even trigger the camera from 1m away in daylight.
Interesting

Disclaimer: Readers please note, this solution should not be used indoors if you own a Sony DVD player...
03-19-2017, 11:15 PM   #14

I would like to ask, if Pentax K-3 can be remotely driven with IR remote when on AV mode?
03-20-2017, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by therion Quote
I would like to ask, if Pentax K-3 can be remotely driven with IR remote when on AV mode?
Yes. All exposure modes are compatible, though with a small qualifier for "B" mode. Using "B" with the IR remote requires changing menu/C1/Bulb Mode Options from "Mode1" to "Mode2" (one press to open and a second press to close).

Steve