Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2017, 07:14 AM   #1
Inactive Account

First Post with new K3II and Old M42 85-210mm Sun Zoom lens I paid $1 for

I'm New here.
Just a couple images with my new K3II and a cheap M42 lens I paid $1 for at a yard sale. Its a Sun Zoom 85-210 preset. Its a big , heavy , long and ugly lens , but it is built like a tank.
I have an affinity for old glass , and although its an interesting Lens , there isn't much here. Back in storage it goes.

---------- Post added 01-14-17 at 08:33 AM ----------

Can anyone tell me why I cannot orient my images properly in posting ?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
01-14-2017, 07:20 PM - 1 Like   #2
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WestBug Quote
I'm New here.
Just a couple images with my new K3II and a cheap M42 lens I paid $1 for at a yard sale. Its a Sun Zoom 85-210 preset. Its a big , heavy , long and ugly lens , but it is built like a tank.
I have an affinity for old glass , and although its an interesting Lens , there isn't much here. Back in storage it goes.

---------- Post added 01-14-17 at 08:33 AM ----------

still !!

nice piccies though

01-14-2017, 08:13 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love that first one.. I think you want to orient the jpgs before you upload them
01-15-2017, 06:00 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Ditto. The first one is great. Are those crane nests?

You likely have auto-rotation turned on in the camera body. The camera body and some applications will read the metadata and automatically rotate the image. Unfortunately, not all image tools do this - web browsers in particular seem lack this ability. So DeepThrob is right; you have to use a photo editor to rotate them before uploading. As a heads up you need to find an image viewer that does not auto-rotate images to double-check before uploading. That or avoid the problem altogether by turning off auto-rotation in the camera body (Menu C4 #23)

01-15-2017, 07:08 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeepThrob Quote
I love that first one.. I think you want to orient the jpgs before you upload them
Yes I did that. Something is still not right.I think there is some data that is being read even after removing all I could in Windows.

---------- Post added 01-15-17 at 08:12 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Ditto. The first one is great. Are those crane nests?

You likely have auto-rotation turned on in the camera body. The camera body and some applications will read the metadata and automatically rotate the image. Unfortunately, not all image tools do this - web browsers in particular seem lack this ability. So DeepThrob is right; you have to use a photo editor to rotate them before uploading. As a heads up you need to find an image viewer that does not auto-rotate images to double-check before uploading. That or avoid the problem altogether by turning off auto-rotation in the camera body (Menu C4 #23)
Yes they are Sandhill Crane nests that are in a habitat management area. Thanks for the heads up on turning the auto rotation off in the camera.
01-15-2017, 07:35 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Thanks. We have Sandhill Cranes locally, but their nests are not elevated. Their cries sound about as charming as an old barn door with rusty unlubricated hinges. And they seem to squawk the most shortly after dawn

A couple months ago I picked up a Focal A-type 80-200 close focus lens for $20 from an antique dealer trying to clear some inventory. After removing the Ricoh pin and adding a bit of aluminum foil to the base so my K-3 could read the aperture data, I have a nice lens with full automation - other than manual focus of course. Old glass certainly doesn't mean bad glass, especially on a crop format camera.
01-15-2017, 08:49 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Thanks. We have Sandhill Cranes locally, but their nests are not elevated. Their cries sound about as charming as an old barn door with rusty unlubricated hinges. And they seem to squawk the most shortly after dawn

A couple months ago I picked up a Focal A-type 80-200 close focus lens for $20 from an antique dealer trying to clear some inventory. After removing the Ricoh pin and adding a bit of aluminum foil to the base so my K-3 could read the aperture data, I have a nice lens with full automation - other than manual focus of course. Old glass certainly doesn't mean bad glass, especially on a crop format camera.
I was just told they are Cranes , but not maybe the Sandhill ones. That was just outside of Safford Arizona along some small little creek.
They do seem to become very active about dusk and squawk and make weird noises.
I'm donating and selling quite a bit of older glass and weeding things out a lot to get down to about 12 lenses or so....."hopefully" anyway.
In my lens collection there is quite a bit of Ricoh , Pentax , Takumar , and other assorted vintage glass and I find just about all of it at least good and some some of it excellent+++

01-16-2017, 08:13 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Very nice. That's one of the beauties of the K-Mount in that we can use these old lenses on modern bodies just for fun (or seriousness if we so desire) and see how they render on modern sensors. Some would say the modern lenses are better (sharper, contrastier), which in many respects may be true, but very often the results are quite pleasing.
01-17-2017, 06:00 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WestBug Quote
I'm New here.

I have had the same problem with most of my shots. No idea why. Even the mods can't do it. I though that I had worked out a procedure that worked a few times, but now that doesn't work either.

I like the images. Old glass is fun to play with. Once in awhile you find a real gem.
01-17-2017, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I have had the same problem with most of my shots. No idea why. Even the mods can't do it. I though that I had worked out a procedure that worked a few times, but now that doesn't work either.

I like the images. Old glass is fun to play with. Once in awhile you find a real gem.
I only own one modern lens. Its a DA WR 18-135mm. All the rest are manual primes mainly.
I really like my old Pentax m42's and K mount lenses along with some of the Rikenon XR's and P series lenses.
Glad I came here anyway as I found a man named Eric Hendrickson that does lens repairs and adjustments. Just sent him my SMC K 24mm for infinity stop adjustment , and a SMC A 24mm that is missing a tiny contact spring.
Cant wait to get them back to try on a Brand new K-1 in the box that I just purchased yesterday from my Employer real cheap ($1200). It is 6-8 months old at least and hasn't even been used for one single shot as he partially switched back to Nikon. It looks like a fantastic camera and he says it actually is amazing. But its way to BIG to me anyway , but I will give it a tryout and see the FF results before I decide if I'm going to keep it or not.
In the meantime I just keep using my APSc Bodies that I absolutely love and the K3 and K3II leave nothing to be desired by me at all.

Last edited by WestBug; 01-17-2017 at 10:33 AM.