Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2017, 08:07 PM   #1

What is the difference in the focus point selection? K-3

I thought I knew my K-3 pretty well .
I use to generally use a center spot for focus then recompose, but recently I decided to use rear button focus and disable focus with the shutter button.
While getting use to this method I found myself scrolling through the focus point selection and noticed the white points under "Auto" and when scrolling I get the same selection option but the points are in red .
I checked the manual but cant figure out what is the difference.
Help !

Bob

01-15-2017, 08:40 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been using my K-3 since Spring of 2014 and know it pretty well. Like you, I generally use center spot. I am not sure what you mean by "white points under "Auto". Are you, by any chance describing live view AF point selection rather than regular viewfinder AF point selection? Auto in Live View provides a movable frame that may be positioned as desired within the frame. Live view uses a different AF system (Contrast Detect AF) with different setup that the Phase Detect AF system used by the optical viewfinder. The setup is similar, but not the same and changes made on one system do not migrate to the other.

Steve
01-16-2017, 02:15 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
On the K1 at least the red points signify tracking AF mode to be used with AFC
01-16-2017, 03:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photobobhunt Quote
While getting use to this method I found myself scrolling through the focus point selection and noticed the white points under "Auto" and when scrolling I get the same selection option but the points are in red .
Interesting, I'll check my K3 when I'm home, I thought I knew my K3 pretty well too (never finished the manual )

01-16-2017, 04:10 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
never finished the manual
Neither did Pentax
01-16-2017, 08:19 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Neither did Pentax
Truly? My K-3 manual is fairly comprehensive and the various AF point options well-described. I would rate the documentation as better than my previous K10D. Your K-1's documentation is not quite as good, though still much better than those from some competing brands (Sony are you listening?).

FWIW, my comments above were made with both my K-3 in hand and the user manual open on my computer. I am not sure what the OP was reporting, but am confident that they will figure it out. The K-1's AF point display format is different than the K-3 due to the LCD overlay.

Steve
01-16-2017, 10:38 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

The red dots are selective. Meaning you can select where they go. The white spots are auto, meaning the camera will choose the focus point within the zone. White spot is just center, you can't move it

01-16-2017, 11:29 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wibbly Quote
The red dots are selective. Meaning you can select where they go. The white spots are auto, meaning the camera will choose the focus point within the zone. White spot is just center, you can't move it
Dumb me!

I just figured out what the OP is talking about. Thanks for your excellent explanation. I almost never use the rear LCD status screen and usually have it turned off to save battery life. As a result, I am basically ignorant of how it behaves. Turn it on and what do I get? White dots and red dots...face palm...

Steve

(...uses and is familiar with all those modes, just not from the rear LCD status screen...)
01-16-2017, 11:33 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

To be honest I never use any mode but single point selective. It took me ages to figure out how to change it to multi point. Thats how I knew what he was talking about
01-23-2017, 03:47 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Nice topic, new K3 owner here. Bought it yesterday. It's main use will be motorsport photography, so I was wondering about the dots. Thought would let it in white (yep, looked like auto but I could not state that) and not red, but I am guessing using the red ones would be better for sports, adjusting them to any situation tho.

Issues? Am I totally wrong? (that's possible hahaha)
01-23-2017, 02:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

For motorsports you probably want it to be selective spot, it makes composing easier as you're probably going to be tracking the subject for a whole in AFC before bursting a few shutter actuations. You don't always want the subject in the center of the frame.

The k3 is absolutely awesome for motorsports, it's mostly what I shoot.
01-24-2017, 08:23 PM   #12

Original Poster
After reading th post and checking things out. The answer is simple.
The auto white dots are not selectable and the camera may focus on any one in the matrix. The red allows you to pick a selected spot , shifting the dark red spot.
Since I posted this question, I've covered a couple of events using back button focus and I am hooked. I only wish I could set it up the same way on my k-S2. You cannot disable shutter button focus on that one.
Thank you for all the help ........Bob
01-25-2017, 08:34 AM   #13
Pentaxian

For motorsports you probably want it to be selective spot, it makes composing easier as you're probably going to be tracking the subject for a whole in AFC before bursting a few shutter actuations. You don't always want the subject in the center of the frame.

The k3 is absolutely awesome for motorsports, it's mostly what I shoot.
Thank you wibbly, that was my thought as also that was my thought about the K3 and this is why i bought it.
Any tips maybe?

I have been using a K5 for the past 2 years, but any tips on the K3 are more than welcomed, also you can see my posts about motorsport events over here.
Best regards,

Daniel
01-25-2017, 10:04 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Based on your avatar, are you shooting bikes? I'm jealous of your location. Right near Catalunya, you lucky devil.

For bikes it's pretty easy, I just find the bike in the viewfinder but don't focus, track the bike until it's reaching the area I want the shot to be, then back button focus in AFC and pan with the bike, focusing more on keeping the bike in the same part of the frame than anything, then I let off a burst of 6 or 7 shots as the bike comes by me. I have burst set for release priority instead of focus priority.

It takes practice but the results are quite pleasing

Here's an example of my work
Attached Images

01-25-2017, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Based on your avatar, are you shooting bikes? I'm jealous of your location. Right near Catalunya, you lucky devil.

For bikes it's pretty easy, I just find the bike in the viewfinder but don't focus, track the bike until it's reaching the area I want the shot to be, then back button focus in AFC and pan with the bike, focusing more on keeping the bike in the same part of the frame than anything, then I let off a burst of 6 or 7 shots as the bike comes by me. I have burst set for release priority instead of focus priority.

It takes practice but the results are quite pleasing

Here's an example of my work

Thank you wibbly,
Not really, the avatar is Former Formula 1 1992 Champion Nigel Mansell and Indycar 1993 Champion. So mainly I shoot at cars, but I shooted bikes also sometime in the past and if everything goes smooth I have a mate that will do a 24H bikes race (the 24H of Barcelona),

Hahaha yeah, I am a lucky evil, this is right. I consider the track my second home, as I am track marshalling there for the last 10 years already! And since 3 years ago now, I have been lucky to get there as media/photographer for some events so, I can't ask for more Yet, any advice is always really welcomed!

Yep, I like to shoot at low shutter speeds, it takes lots of practice indeed, I can tell myself.

Check my posts / galleries over the forum, so you can see some of the pictures I have been taking with my Kr and lately with my beloved K5

Let me show you just a few photos, I do everything, on track and outside track,

All the best