Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-23-2017, 08:38 PM - 1 Like   #1

Switch from 1 point to 27 fast

I'm not sure if this is a "feature" of my K-3 + 150 - 450 mm lens augmented by the Ricoh 1.4x teleconverter, but I find that if I'm tracking a bird flying by using a single AF point (which is my default setting because birds are usually in more complex scenarios), should I miss the bird for just a fraction of a second the focus goes all the way to the short end and stops there requiring me to manually push it all the way out again by which time the bird is long gone.

So, it seems to me, that for this specific situation, I should use 27 AF points to give me a better chance of catching the bird against the sky background.

So, my question is, is there a way I can quickly (press one button, for example) switch from 1 to 27 points when the situation arises without having to use the Info button and find the right panel and make the adjustment that way?

Thanks.

Dave

01-23-2017, 09:05 PM - 1 Like   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi Dave. Maybe instead of changing the number of focus points in whichever mode you are using, you dedicate 1 of your USER modes to the settings you want. Turning the mode dial is very quick, and it would always be set to how you want it. Just a thought. Good luck.

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 01-23-2017 at 09:22 PM.
01-23-2017, 10:00 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by davesofnj Quote
I'm not sure if this is a "feature" of my K-3 + 150 - 450 mm lens augmented by the Ricoh 1.4x teleconverter, but I find that if I'm tracking a bird flying by using a single AF point (which is my default setting because birds are usually in more complex scenarios), should I miss the bird for just a fraction of a second the focus goes all the way to the short end and stops there requiring me to manually push it all the way out again by which time the bird is long gone.

So, it seems to me, that for this specific situation, I should use 27 AF points to give me a better chance of catching the bird against the sky background.

So, my question is, is there a way I can quickly (press one button, for example) switch from 1 to 27 points when the situation arises without having to use the Info button and find the right panel and make the adjustment that way?

Thanks.

Dave
Press the AF mode button then turn the e-dial to change the # of points.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-23-2017, 10:47 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

User modes
User 1 static bird: af s, central point , Sr on,.
User 2 BIF: afc , Sr off, so set your favourite af settings...

01-23-2017, 11:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pasorro Quote
User modes User 1 static bird: af s, central point , Sr on,. User 2 BIF: afc , Sr off, so set your favourite af settings...
Yes, I'd suggest the same. K3 has user mode for direct setup of AF tracking and burst rate.

---------- Post added 24-01-17 at 07:30 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by davesofnj Quote
I should use 27 AF points to give me a better chance of catching the bird against the sky background.
I've had some trouble with 27 points AF tracking of birds against the sky with DA300 + TC. When the 9 center points were selected; AFC tracking was working correctly. Without TC, 27 tracking worked fine. Like pasorro and pjv, I'd also suggest using the USER programmable dial modes for fast operation.
01-24-2017, 06:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I beleive the 150-450 even has a focus limiter. Try it out. It may help with focus hunting a cross the full range.
01-24-2017, 02:56 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wissink Quote
I beleive the 150-450 even has a focus limiter. Try it out. It may help with focus hunting a cross the full range.
haven't tried that at the time i had the k3. I sold the k3 now using a k1 , does not exhibit the same AF behaviour with 150450+TC and 33 AF points.

01-24-2017, 04:28 PM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the big guy (as I call mine - new to me 12/24/16) does have a focus limiter

HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW Reviews - D FA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
01-24-2017, 06:20 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not only does it have the focus limiter, which divides into an upper and lower range, you can also pre-set a focus point, and return to that point with the press of a button. Just getting the focus limiter range set will make a big difference in speed, and the button is great to get back to a known point.
01-24-2017, 08:33 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks for all the input -- I had a computer die on me so I've been somewhat distracted from this issue.

I'll try out the suggestions (pressing the AF button sounds good).

The focus limiter works but doesn't change the behavior: if I lose the object, the lens goes to 6 meters rather than 6 feet. It could be that this is a symptom of the age of my K-3; I'm well over 100,000 images with it.

Dave