Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2017, 09:06 AM   #1

weather seal on program selection dial??

Greetings,
I have a pentax K3 and as a result of a collision with an open drawer, the cover on the dial (top left) that selects the program was knocked loose. it is very thin metal part that does not appear to have any indication of glue or other substance as the source for it's stability. I have tried just pushing it back down but it doesn't stay. I have two questions 1: is it a part of the camera that would have been weather sealed? It doesn't look it would be...when I lift if off of the camera the button with spring are exposed and will, of course, fall out, but the inside of the dial looks to be a solid part of the molded camera body. 2: is there some sort of glue that I could get that would work to put it back in place without causing damage to the camera?
thanks
tom

---------- Post added 01-26-17 at 11:15 AM ----------

ok. so I looked a little closer and there is a very thin layer of some sort of adhesive on the inside. However it isn't continuous so I don't think it
is intended to function as a seal..any recommendations for the type of adhesive to use would be welcomed.

01-26-2017, 10:00 AM   #2

The weather seal is probably around the shaft inside the camera.

I would us a contact cement such as Pliobond which is used to the rubbery covers on the body. Contact cement will stick to most non-porous materials but can be often be pried apart with some effort.

@dcshooter may have some better suggestions.
01-26-2017, 02:55 PM   #3

Original Poster
thanks for the response..I have purchased some glue and will carefully attempt to put it together this evening. I appreciate the feedback.
tom
01-28-2017, 10:27 AM   #4

Original Poster
wasn't able to get pliobond and found a product called DAP RAPIDFUSE...it was easy to work with and distribute in very small amounts...seems to be doing the job...hopefully it will last

01-28-2017, 11:17 AM   #5

Any contact cement should work. Pliobond remains flexible which makes it good for rubbery or leatherette parts.