Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2017, 12:31 AM   #1

Step Focus software?

Is anyone aware of any Step Focus software (as per the Zerene Stacker tutorials page, outlining various programs for Nikon and Canon cameras stacker:docs:tutorials:tutorialsindex [Zerene Stacker]) that could be used with a K3 and Mac? My understanding is that one can use them to change the focus through a tight prescribed range to create a focus stack.

02-05-2017, 08:42 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Helicon focus. Works with any camera.
02-05-2017, 12:24 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You have to produce a stack of same photographs with different focus. You can do this manually by changing the focus via lens / camera, using a macro rail where you have to dial the steps manually or with an motor driven automatic stepping solution. The latter two are general solutions in macro photography. At the end of your session you have a stack of photographs with different focus.

In Zene Stacker or Helicon Focus you can blend these images to one so that you get a extended depth of field. I use Helicon Focus 6 on Mac.
02-05-2017, 04:19 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Helicon focus. Works with any camera.
Thanks biz-engineer. The Helicon website states that the software is for Canon or Nikon, but I'll follow up with them directly. Have you used Helicon Focus for automated focussing on a K3?

---------- Post added 6th Feb 2017 at 10:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
You have to produce a stack of same photographs with different focus. You can do this manually by changing the focus via lens / camera, using a macro rail where you have to dial the steps manually or with an motor driven automatic stepping solution. The latter two are general solutions in macro photography. At the end of your session you have a stack of photographs with different focus.

In Zene Stacker or Helicon Focus you can blend these images to one so that you get a extended depth of field. I use Helicon Focus 6 on Mac.
Thanks acoufap - I am using Zerene Stacker, and understand the concept of stacking a series of images to produce a single one. What I wanted to know was if there is any autofocussing software out there that can be used with a K3. It seems like helicon might be possible.

02-05-2017, 07:08 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CathW Quote
Thanks biz-engineer. The Helicon website states that the software is for Canon or Nikon, but I'll follow up with them directly. Have you used Helicon Focus for automated focussing on a K3?
The automated focus step works only for Canikon. The image stacking process works for any camera.
02-05-2017, 10:10 PM   #6

Original Poster
The automated focus step works only for Canikon. The image stacking process works for any camera.
Yes, so it seems... Frustrating, as I'd really to access like automated focussing!
Thanks.
02-06-2017, 12:07 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Frustrating, as I'd really to access like automated focussing! Thanks.
Yes, what happens to you is normal and it is the result of mass marketing manipulation. Not so long ago everyone was doing focus stacking manually for the last 200 years everyone was happy.
In marketing terms, new features like automatic focus stepping make the customers constructively discontent versus what they already have (manual focus stepping). That's what marketing are doing to stimulate sales. For example, not so long ago, all telephones were wired and audio was recorded on magnetic tapes. The amount of white noise from magnetic tapes was fairly high, but since it was the standard you were satisfied. Then, someone developed the CD, free of white noise, and sales and marketing promoted CD vs magnetic tape showing the difference in white noise, making everyone discontent of magnetic tape and wanting to buy CDs (=spending money).

Now, you have to switch to Canon and Nikon for automatic focus stepping, and switch back to anther brand once this other brand will do something that Canon or Nikon don't have.
If we want to be always up to date with the latest innovation in cameras, we have to have a pretty big budget; every generation of camera brings some additional features, so we would have to buy all the time, BTW, good for the economy.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-06-2017 at 12:14 AM.
02-06-2017, 08:51 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks acoufap - I am using Zerene Stacker, and understand the concept of stacking a series of images to produce a single one. What I wanted to know was if there is any autofocussing software out there that can be used with a K3. It seems like helicon might be possible.
If you search for an automated stepping macro rail solution just have look here on the stackshot solution. It seems not to be restricted to Canikon since you can get a shutter interface cable (connection between controller and camera) for pentax cameras in their store - here. Maybe that's something you could be interested in?!
02-07-2017, 04:35 PM   #9
Pentaxian

troll
02-07-2017, 10:09 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

troll
? - how shall I interpret your comment
02-08-2017, 12:48 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
gphoto2 supports some Pentax cameras, but the K-1 is not on the list. However, I don't know if it would need specific support for the K-1, or if it would just work using a common mechanism across various Pentax cameras. And I couldn't easily find if focus is supported on the listed Pentax cameras, but I have used it with non-Pentax cameras to focus and take photos.

...but gphoto2 is a command-line utility, which you can probably get a Mac version for, but maybe it is less automated than you are looking for. Or maybe there is a GUI available for it, elsewhere.

gPhoto - Projects :: libgphoto2 :: supported cameras
02-08-2017, 09:45 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
? - how shall I interpret your comment
:-) no regarding your comment. Sometimes, people come with a problem, get solutions and don't consider. It can be.
02-08-2017, 01:10 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:-) no regarding your comment. Sometimes, people come with a problem, get solutions and don't consider. It can be.
thanks for clarification ;-)
02-08-2017, 11:26 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
gphoto2 supports some Pentax cameras, but the K-1 is not on the list.
Connecting to a K-1, and querying the camera, it seems that, at least through this software, only image download (and upload) is supported. This makes sense, given the derivation of the Pentax functions in gphoto2 from PkTether. It is also possible that no additional functions are available at all, based on some other comments I found that refer to earlier Pentax cameras and what they report for capabilities.