Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2017, 09:22 PM - 1 Like   #1
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 93
Using HDMI port for external LV monitor ?

Please forgive me for being so na´ve , but why cant I use my HDMI port to have a bigger monitor for LV ?
I would just like a larger external monitor for some shots using LV.
I know there would ne no interface whatsoever , but there are times an external monitor with my wireless release would be a big help.
Has anyone tried this ?

02-07-2017, 09:50 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 36,950
QuoteOriginally posted by WestBug Quote
Please forgive me for being so na´ve , but why cant I use my HDMI port to have a bigger monitor for LV ?
I would just like a larger external monitor for some shots using LV.
I know there would ne no interface whatsoever , but there are times an external monitor with my wireless release would be a big help.
Has anyone tried this ?
@LaurenOE uses a field monitor wired in via the HDMI port for her video work with the K-3. I have considered getting a field monitor for low level work and wired my K-3 into my wide-screen TV via HDMI as proof of concept. It works great. (See page 63 in the user manual for setup help.)


Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-07-2017 at 10:09 PM.
02-07-2017, 10:06 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 14,108
QuoteOriginally posted by WestBug Quote
Please forgive me for being so na´ve , but why cant I use my HDMI port to have a bigger monitor for LV ?
I would just like a larger external monitor for some shots using LV.
I know there would ne no interface whatsoever , but there are times an external monitor with my wireless release would be a big help.
Has anyone tried this ?
That's what it's there for.

At times I use a 7" battery powered Lilliput monitor on a stand for focus and review.

You get to see all the camera settings you expect because it's not 'clean' output.
02-07-2017, 10:51 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
LaurenOE's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,657
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
@LaurenOE uses a field monitor wired in via the HDMI port for her video work with the K-3. I have considered getting a field monitor for low level work and wired my K-3 into my wide-screen TV via HDMI as proof of concept. It works great. (See page 63 in the user manual for setup help.)


Steve
Yep.

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
That's what it's there for.

At times I use a 7" battery powered Lilliput monitor on a stand for focus and review.

You get to see all the camera settings you expect because it's not 'clean' output.
Yep.

QuoteOriginally posted by WestBug Quote
Please forgive me for being so na´ve , but why cant I use my HDMI port to have a bigger monitor for LV ?
I would just like a larger external monitor for some shots using LV.
I know there would ne no interface whatsoever , but there are times an external monitor with my wireless release would be a big help.
Has anyone tried this ?
No problem...and if you use a Zacuto/Z-Finder and a rail system you get an EVF too.



02-08-2017, 06:56 PM   #5
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 93
Original Poster
There appears to be a lot more monitors on B&H and Ebay or Amazon that look really good without breaking the bank.
Now to figure out which one and at what resolution I actually need.
Lots of nice looking stuff for less than $200 compared to a couple years ago.

I'm very excited to have this new found idea (to me anyway). Opens up a whole lot more possibilities with my K3II that lacks an articulating screen that I so much desire.
This may take me to new Heights ! Or actually new exciting Lows.....lol.

Last edited by WestBug; 02-08-2017 at 07:08 PM.
02-08-2017, 07:31 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
LaurenOE's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,657
QuoteOriginally posted by WestBug Quote
There appears to be a lot more monitors on B&H and Ebay or Amazon that look really good without breaking the bank.
Now to figure out which one and at what resolution I actually need.
Lots of nice looking stuff for less than $200 compared to a couple years ago.

I'm very excited to have this new found idea (to me anyway). Opens up a whole lot more possibilities with my K3II that lacks an articulating screen that I so much desire.
This may take me to new Heights ! Or actually new exciting Lows.....lol.
You don't have to spend too much money either as the output from the HDMI is 720p at best.

02-08-2017, 08:24 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 36,950
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
You don't have to spend too much money either as the output from the HDMI is 720p at best.

Yep...the same resolution as the rear LCD.


Steve
02-08-2017, 09:15 PM   #8
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 93
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
You don't have to spend too much money either as the output from the HDMI is 720p at best.

Then I wouldn't benefit from anything higher in resolution. Good to know this.Thanks.

02-09-2017, 08:19 AM   #9
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 139
Thanks for this post. I am hoping to start a headshot photog business and since the K-3 won't let you shoot tethered, I was thing a portable monitor would be a great option to preview the picture and make corrections. Also I think it would be a great tool to educate your client as well as get them comfortable and excited about the shoot.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
dslr, hdmi, hdmi port, k-3, k3, lv, pentax k-3, port
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax K-5 and external HDMI LCD screen Harald Pentax K-5 116 01-18-2019 03:46 AM
Mini HDMI port to mini display on macbook Rnovo Pentax K-5 6 05-17-2012 11:02 AM
HDMI Out Port soppy Pentax K-5 15 12-13-2010 01:02 PM
Analog Monitor =vs= HDMI Ed n Georgia General Talk 3 05-20-2010 09:49 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:04 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top