Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2017, 07:14 AM   #1

K3II Which Settings Affect the Raw File

Looking for definitive information on which settings actually change the raw file (not just write adjustment instructions in the metadata) . In reading the manual and other sources it appears that in the dynamic range adjustments for Highlight/Shadow corrections menu, the Highlight reduction, will actually affect/change the raw file, but the shadow correction will not. Can anyone verify this by actual use or reference?

Also, I can find nothing to confirm or refute the High ISO Noise Reduction adjustment will affect/change the raw file, either in the camera manual or from other sources. Anyone care to elaborate???

03-05-2017, 07:23 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Smoke665 Quote
In reading the manual and other sources it appears that in the dynamic range adjustments for Highlight/Shadow corrections menu, the Highlight reduction, will actually affect/change the raw file, but the shadow correction will not. Can anyone verify this by actual use or reference?
Highlight correction affects the raw file because it essentially underexposes the image (via shutter speed and/or aperture) and just increases the ISO to compensate. Shadow correction is just a post-processing operation on the data itself.

Also, I can find nothing to confirm or refute the High ISO Noise Reduction adjustment will affect/change the raw file, either in the camera manual or from other sources. Anyone care to elaborate???
High ISO noise reduction does not affect the raw file. You will also get better results by applying noise reduction using your own software (i.e. photoshop, topaz) instead of relying on the camera's JPEG output.

Slow shutter speed noise reduction DOES affect the raw file, however, as it effectively takes and extra exposure and subtracts hot pixels from the image.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-05-2017, 08:03 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
High ISO noise reduction does not affect the raw file. You will also get better results by applying noise reduction using your own software (i.e. photoshop, topaz) instead of relying on the camera's JPEG out
At first I assumed this but when I did some unscientific tests on my own, it appeared that there was less chroma noise with it set to high. In reality all cameras by their design apply some noise reduction.I've debated installing Raw Digger for some time, that might give me more insight in a comparison. Do you have any references to cite on this statement???

Last edited by Smoke665; 03-05-2017 at 09:29 AM.
03-10-2017, 05:21 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At first I assumed this but when I did some unscientific tests on my own, it appeared that there was less chroma noise with it set to high. In reality all cameras by their design apply some noise reduction.I've debated installing Raw Digger for some time, that might give me more insight in a comparison. Do you have any references to cite on this statement???
"It"?

Slow shutter noise reduction? It basically is using a second frame to remove hot pixels, as noted, so I dunno that using RawDigger etc will give much insight on that.

As for the other noise reduction, it's used in generating a JPEG from a RAW. If you wanna see the results of that, see here: Pentax K-3 Review - High ISO NR