Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2017, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

K3-II fw 1.10 DEBUG MODE

hello All,

I have a K3-II with firmware 1.10.

I have been digging the forum in order to find how to override the AF fine tuning setting, because +10 is not enough for my 70 Ltd.

Based on the information I found, I prepared an SD with two files, 00077980.570 and DEVELOP.MOD, inside the first one the line "[OPEN_DEBUG_MENU]", then turned on the K3II leaving the door open, and the Debug menu is there.

However, if I press OK, the screen turns black and nothing happen.

I guess that the firmware update to 1.10 needs different files.

Any suggestion, please?

Thanks in advance,

-Gian

03-26-2017, 01:41 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It is called "fine" tuning. My DA 70 Ltd needs no fine tuning. If yours needs more than +10, I suspect there is another issue. Have you ever tried it on a different camera?

Sorry, I can't help with the debug mode. Good luck.
03-26-2017, 02:19 PM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Gian. I'd have to agree with Paul... If a lens needs more than +10 (or less than -10) fine tuning, there is likely to be a problem with either the lens or the camera. Do you get the same problem with other lenses? If you do, it's the camera body that needs servicing. If it's just this lens, then the lens is seriously out of alignment and needs service.

For what it's worth, I have all of the HD DA Limited primes and the 20-40 zoom. On both my K-3 and K-3II, my DA40 works best at -2 AF fine adjustment, while my DA70 requires +1. All of the others are spot on at zero. Whilst I do hear of some people needing slightly greater adjustments for theirs, I would say the majority of Limited lenses are very well calibrated straight from the factory.
03-26-2017, 08:43 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gian Quote
hello All,

I have a K3-II with firmware 1.10.

I have been digging the forum in order to find how to override the AF fine tuning setting, because +10 is not enough for my 70 Ltd.

Based on the information I found, I prepared an SD with two files, 00077980.570 and DEVELOP.MOD, inside the first one the line "[OPEN_DEBUG_MENU]", then turned on the K3II leaving the door open, and the Debug menu is there.

However, if I press OK, the screen turns black and nothing happen.

I guess that the firmware update to 1.10 needs different files.

Any suggestion, please?

Thanks in advance,

-Gian

I'm not sure which files the K3II need for debug. If it works like the K3 you need to turn the camera off and remove the SD card after you have loaded the Debug program then turn the camera back on and the Debug menu will be the second menu in the menu selection when you push the menu button. Make sure you exit Debug mode when you are finished doing your lens corrections.

I thought some of my lenses also needed more than a 10 correction too. I was using the Spyder Lenscal system to check my lens and never could decide exactly where my AF was landing so I ended up doing the old 5 AA battery test and decided my lenses were pretty good at Zero correction, well at least the lens I have check so far looked pretty good at Zero

Larry

03-26-2017, 11:44 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
"you need to turn the camera off and remove the SD card after you have loaded the Debug program then turn the camera back on and the Debug menu will be the second menu in the menu selection when you push the menu button"

Ok, I missed that! will try later...

As far as I understood reading these forums, if I send in the camera for service, they will do exactly the same thing, i.e. open debug mode and shift the focus to move it in range where +-10 will work.
03-26-2017, 11:59 PM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gian Quote
"As far as I understood reading these forums, if I send in the camera for service, they will do exactly the same thing, i.e. open debug mode and shift the focus to move it in range where +-10 will work.
Not necessarily, Gian. If there is a problem with the physical position of the phase detect AF sensor, that may need to be adjusted. But, again, are you getting this problem with every lens? If so, then the camera needs servicing. If you're only getting the problem with the DA70, the lens needs servicing. If the camera is adjusted (by you or a service centre) to work with just one lens that is out of alignment, you're going to have problems with every other properly-aligned lens you try to use... Does that make sense?
03-27-2017, 04:21 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yes, it makes sense.

My other three Ltds need +5, only the 70 seems a tad out of range.

With +10 it has improved a lot, and I could get away with it.
04-21-2017, 12:23 PM   #8

K-3 II debug mode

Hello.
Can you confirm you could enter in the Debug Mode to make your corrections or there is other codes than 00077980.570 DEVELOP.MOD for firmware 1.10?

Thanks

04-22-2017, 04:50 AM - 1 Like   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
yes, I confirm I was able to open the debug menu.

BTW, when I connect my PC with the USB cable to download my shoots, the back display shows "PC DEBUG".

What does that mean? maybe there is a proprietary software to screen the hardware.
05-04-2017, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Maybe I'm bit late, but here is the answer:

Your first steps are the right one (with the files on the sd-card and door open)

* You see "Development Menu1" at the screen after turning on the camera
* at "DEBUG MODE" click "right", then it switched to <EN>
* now press OK
* screen is going black
* turn camera off
* close the door
* turn on camera again
* now you see "Development Menu1" again
* press MENU to Cancel
* screen is going black
* press MENU egain
* now switch through the settings