Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-12-2017, 01:23 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Mode dial failure on K3II ?

I've had this camera for 13 months, so it's out of warranty. Took about 16000 shots with it. Today was the first time the usual P or Tv would not make contact, the camera goes to M by itself. It's not from the lens contacts, those are clean. No drops or impact.

If I press on the mode dial down, it keeps the setting steady, otherwise it keeps switching between the actual setting and M. The only thing that I changed was to set some user modes a few days ago. I never used those before, so I'm guessing some accumulated grime was moved around the contacts...

Any idea how I can clean it without significant disassembly?

04-12-2017, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One month out of warranty? I would contact Ricoh. They will likely extend your warranty coverage. I would strongly suggest not trying contact cleaner or anything similar on the mode dial until you get a response.

Steve
04-15-2017, 07:50 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
I've had this camera for 13 months, so it's out of warranty. Took about 16000 shots with it. Today was the first time the usual P or Tv would not make contact, the camera goes to M by itself. It's not from the lens contacts, those are clean. No drops or impact.

If I press on the mode dial down, it keeps the setting steady, otherwise it keeps switching between the actual setting and M. The only thing that I changed was to set some user modes a few days ago. I never used those before, so I'm guessing some accumulated grime was moved around the contacts...

Any idea how I can clean it without significant disassembly?
Does the mode dial physically move, or do you just end up in Manual, with the dial at Av or whatever? If the latter you might want to reset your settings to factory, maybe you caused some weird settings. I've just checked my K3ii and it's pretty firmly locked and takes 2 actions to move it, even after I press the release button it takes a firm grip to rotate the control.

Tuggie76
04-28-2017, 05:46 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuggie76 Quote
Does the mode dial physically move
Yes, it was moving as before, just the setting wasn't registered, resetting didn't fix it. Ricoh customer support also said it was likely an issue with the electrical contacts inside the dial.
Precision received the camera on Wednesday and shipped it back today after just two days, should have it early next week. After reading online horror stories about Precision I was a little worried, then again this was likely a minor repair. It wasn't covered under warranty though.

09-30-2017, 05:18 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I know this is an old thread but how tight should the MODE DIAL feel?

On my K7 it was very stiff and firm but on my K3 it has some play in it and very easy to move when unlocked. Is that normal?

Starting to worry I might end up with another case of mode dial failure just because there is some play.....
10-02-2017, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
I know this is an old thread but how tight should the MODE DIAL feel?

On my K7 it was very stiff and firm but on my K3 it has some play in it and very easy to move when unlocked. Is that normal?

Starting to worry I might end up with another case of mode dial failure just because there is some play.....
I can't move my dial with using reasonable force.

Tuggie76