Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2017, 02:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-3II Profile in lightroom

Can anyone explain:- I have a K-3II and Lightroom 4. I only shoot in Raw (DNG) and in the Develop module - Camera Calibration tab the Process : is 2012 (current). When I look at Profile : the only option is Embedded. I don't have the option of Adobe Standard or ACR 4.4 as I had with my old camera (Samsung GX10).
Thanks-Kevin

04-17-2017, 05:39 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by retsoor Quote
Can anyone explain:- I have a K-3II and Lightroom 4. I only shoot in Raw (DNG) and in the Develop module - Camera Calibration tab the Process : is 2012 (current). When I look at Profile : the only option is Embedded. I don't have the option of Adobe Standard or ACR 4.4 as I had with my old camera (Samsung GX10).
Thanks-Kevin
For my K-3 I have just Adobe Standard or Embedded. Just my opinion here, but due to lower sales volume than in the Canikon world, Adobe does not spend much time developing profiles for Pentax cameras. However, I understand that for the K-1 LR 6 does have choices that replicate camera settings.
04-18-2017, 10:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lsimpkins Quote
For my K-3 I have just Adobe Standard or Embedded. Just my opinion here, but due to lower sales volume than in the Canikon world, Adobe does not spend much time developing profiles for Pentax cameras. However, I understand that for the K-1 LR 6 does have choices that replicate camera settings.
Thank you
04-18-2017, 11:21 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think Adobe just stopped upgrading Lightroom 4 and 5 awhile ago. In Lightroom 6 there are settings for Natural, Bright, Portrait, landscape, and Vibrant for the K3 and K-1. I don't own a K3 II, but I imagine that they have similar color settings available for it.

If you aren't interested in updating, I think the Huelight files work well and are quite reasonable with regard to cost.

04-18-2017, 11:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think Adobe just stopped upgrading Lightroom 4 and 5 awhile ago. In Lightroom 6 there are settings for Natural, Bright, Portrait, landscape, and Vibrant for the K3 and K-1. I don't own a K3 II, but I imagine that they have similar color settings available for it.

If you aren't interested in updating, I think the Huelight files work well and are quite reasonable with regard to cost.
Thank you for your advice I might well upgrade to Lightroom 6 because of pixel shift
04-18-2017, 01:14 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by retsoor Quote
Thank you for your advice I might well upgrade to Lightroom 6 because of pixel shift
I wouldn't upgrade for pixel shift. The implementation in Lightroom currently is not optimal. It doesn't support motion correction and so if there are any areas of motion, you get really odd looking artifacts in water, tree branches, etc. Raw Therapee is a lot better, even than DCU.

Lightroom 6 does have newer lens profiles, can do HDR and panoramas and probably has a few other tweaks thrown in. I like it, but it doesn't do pixel shift very well in my opinion.
04-19-2017, 08:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's interesting to know-thanks for the info

04-21-2017, 06:00 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In Lightroom 6 there are settings for Natural, Bright, Portrait, landscape, and Vibrant for the K3 and K-1.
Do you shoot pef or jpg, as I shoot only dng and do NOT have Natural, Bright, etc. settings available. I am using Adobe CC with all the latest updates.
04-22-2017, 04:20 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lsimpkins Quote
Do you shoot pef or jpg, as I shoot only dng and do NOT have Natural, Bright, etc. settings available. I am using Adobe CC with all the latest updates.
I shoot DNG, but I think I told an untruth. Someone had posted dcp files that were adapted for the K3 from K3 II files. I'm not sure where they got them from. They were posted here: Converted Lightroom K-3 II Profiles - PentaxForums.com. Seem to be pretty decent to me.
04-23-2017, 11:06 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a K-3ii and I have the vivid, portrait etc profiles available in Lr CC. AFAIK they came from Adobe; I don't see separate DCP files in with the others I've created (I use an Xrite Passport to make my own). I do use DNGs as well.
06-06-2017, 04:28 AM   #11

Is that true, that LR has K-3 profiles other than standard? I have newest LR (CC) and I don't have settings other than Adobe Standard for my K-3.
06-06-2017, 05:00 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dr_Fell Quote
Is that true, that LR has K-3 profiles other than standard? I have newest LR (CC) and I don't have settings other than Adobe Standard for my K-3.
See my follow up comment. Someone converted K3 II profiles. I have a link in my post two spots up.
06-06-2017, 05:22 AM   #13

Ah, ok, thank You. I have those profiles and I use them but I have problems with reds and those profiles (orange to red shift and oversaturation). I hoped there are new and better now, with LR update.

I have just found DNG profile editor and I am trying to fix that a bit.
06-10-2017, 11:58 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I had done some profiling for a friend with a K3II

http://isfphotography.com/PENTAXK-3IIbeta2.dcp

http://isfphotography.com/PENTAXK3II_Ian.dcp

Oddly both of his K3II needed 2 different profiles for them to produce the same results. The K3II_Ian was for the K3II that rendered reds that looked oversaturated and was a early purchased model while the beta was for the K3II that was purchased not too long ago.
I would try them both and see which one you like best
06-12-2017, 07:45 AM   #15

Thank You! I am sorry, I forgot to mention that I have K-3 and not K-3 II. I thought that K-3 II profiles will be usable with K-3 (there are some K-3 II profiles that are modified a bit for K-3 on the forum). Unfortunately with unmodified K-3 II profiles used with K-3 reds are oversaturated even more - probably my modified profiles work best at the moment.