Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2017, 09:37 AM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
If the camera is set to BBF then CIF will not work. Since my camera is set to use back button focus the only way to use CIF is to change the settings in the menu back to shutter button focus. Not impossible, just cumbersome.
But BBF still doesn't trip the shutter button for you, whereas, CIF setup does.

05-09-2017, 10:11 AM   #32
Forum Member

Are you guys sure CIF doesn't work with back button? I could swear it did.

Switch to MF, hold back button AF and trip shutter? I'll have to check when I get back home but I'm convinced it worked with all lenses, even ones without MF switch and with back button when I tried it. I'll have to try later.

Greg
05-09-2017, 10:15 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Just looked this up in K20D manual, which indicates that on this body the technique only works if one uses a cable release. Have I misunderstood, or should I just experiment ?
05-09-2017, 11:20 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Albert, my Vivitar M 200mm is coupled with a Sigma AF 1.4x TC, are you saying that CIF won't work with the TC attached?
The camera recognizes the AF TC's as AF lenses. I'm saving up for a 1.4x-S (that I foolishly sold off a while ago) because the camera knows the lens is MF (even if it is an AF lens). I'm sure some brilliant fellow Pentaxian can tell you which contacts to cover up, but I'm too confused an old man for kludges like that.

---------- Post added 2017-05-09 at 12:22 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Just looked this up in K20D manual, which indicates that on this body the technique only works if one uses a cable release. Have I misunderstood, or should I just experiment ?
Doesn't sound right to me. As long as you have AF enabled on the shutter button and AF enabled on your cable release it should work. There is a setting somewhere for the cable release AF or not in the menus. If you are lucky it defaults to ON.

05-09-2017, 11:59 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But BBF still doesn't trip the shutter button for you, whereas, CIF setup does.
I know. I am not trying to use the back button. Only saying that if the camera is setup for BBF then CIF does not work. Which means I have to reprogram the camera to use CIF. Not impossible, just a pain for me.
05-09-2017, 12:13 PM   #36
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
The camera recognizes the AF TC's as AF lenses. I'm saving up for a 1.4x-S (that I foolishly sold off a while ago) because the camera knows the lens is MF (even if it is an AF lens).
Well, I have to take back what I said earlier. My M 200mm is coupled with a Sigma 1.4x TC AF, that TC has AF contacts not sure if it has autofocus contacts (although, when I connect it to an AF lens, it allows Autofocus to work) and the camera is setup for CIF and it works.
05-09-2017, 02:43 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gfurm Quote
Are you guys sure CIF doesn't work with back button? I could swear it did. Switch to MF, hold back button AF and trip shutter?
Works fine for me with the K-5.

Note - to use screw mount lenses, you need to short out the camera contacts to get CIF to work.

05-09-2017, 02:56 PM - 1 Like   #38
Forum Member

OK, so I just checked how it works on K3II.

First DA 300/4:
Lens with AF switch set to AF, camera to MF, pressed back button and it fires when no focus achieved.
Lens set to MF, camera to AF, pressed back button and camera doesn't fire until it's in focus.

M 50/1.7
Camera set to AF, back button pressed, camera doesn't fire until it's in focus.

DA 50/1.8
Camera set to MF, back button pressed, camera fires with no focus.

Bottom line:
CIF works with back button but you need lens with AF/MF switch.
Confused myself as I was sure lenses without switch worked. I never use it though so not much experience there.

Greg
05-09-2017, 03:22 PM   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
to use screw mount lenses, you need to short out the camera contacts to get CIF to work.
Yes, I heard that too in my thread but no one could explain to me which contacts and how to identify which contacts I should short out.
05-09-2017, 03:51 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
which contacts and how to identify which contacts I should short out.
Just shape a bit of tinfoil that covers them all.
05-09-2017, 04:03 PM   #41
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
Just shape a bit of tinfoil that covers them all.
Then the camera won't see the F stop. And I would rather use the camera to adjust f-stop.
05-09-2017, 08:03 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Then the camera won't see the F stop. And I would rather use the camera to adjust f-stop.
You cannot use the camera to adjust f/stop with an M42, K or M lens. There are no electrical connections. The f/stop is invisible to the camera.

---------- Post added 2017-05-09 at 21:16 ----------

Bottom line:
CIF works with back button but you need lens with AF/MF switch.
Confused myself as I was sure lenses without switch worked. I never use it though so not much experience there.
Greg
K-3 + DA* 16-50:
  • Camera AF
  • Lens MF
  • Button Customization AF2 (No focus on shutter release)
The camera fires as soon as I press the shutter release.
  • Camera AF
  • Lens MF
  • Button Customization: AF1 (focus on half press)
Press and hold shutter release, camera will fire when focus is obtained.

Same results with FA 100/2.8 Macro. I only have the two AF lenses with AF/MF switches.

If I am in AF1 (shutter release AF) holding the back button does nothing because the AF is enabled by the shutter release (as well).
05-09-2017, 09:08 PM   #43
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

My TC is one that allows me to use the camera to adjust f/stop even though the lens is an M.

And the lens I was talking about is an A lens.
05-09-2017, 11:09 PM   #44
Forum Member

Canada_Rockies: in AF2 you need to press and hold back button focus before pressing shutter. I just tried with sigma 18-35 which has AF/MF switch and it works as well.
05-10-2017, 07:18 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Canada_Rockies: in AF2 you need to press and hold back button focus before pressing shutter. I just tried with sigma 18-35 which has AF/MF switch and it works as well.
With K-3 and either DA* 16-50 or FA 100 macro, holding the AF button before pressing the shutter release has absolutely no effect. The shutter fires instantly upon pressing the shutter release.