Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2017, 01:09 PM   #1
Forum Member

K-3 II Panning Shake Reduction

There have been quite a few threads discussing K-3 & K-3 II AF performance; but I'm interested in one particular aspect: panning.

Background - I shoot motorsports fairly frequently, and love slow (<1/80) shutter speed panning shots. I'm currently using a K-5, and more often than not, a 60-250mm that I prefocus. I generally fire a short burst, and my keeper rate is...OK.

I'm pondering the upgrade to either a K-3 or a K-3 II. I've weighed the other differences; but none are as potentially important for this use case as the shake reduction while panning.

So, for those who also shoot fast-moving objects, man-made or otherwise, do you think the panning SR is good enough to tip the scales in favor of the K-3 II? How effective is it in the real world?

05-20-2017, 07:47 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I wasn't aware any Pentax had SR dedicated to panning? There is no option for vertical or horizontal stabilization. I may be wrong here but i think you should be turning SR off while panning.
05-20-2017, 10:02 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bschriver11 Quote
I wasn't aware any Pentax had SR dedicated to panning? There is no option for vertical or horizontal stabilization. I may be wrong here but i think you should be turning SR off while panning.
It's a first for Pentax. When it detects panning, it shuts down stabilization along the axis of motion, and maintains it in the other axis. From the Imaging Resource review:

"At the same time as improving the efficacy of the stabilization system, Ricoh has also made another change which should mean that you get better results when shooting moving subjects: The Pentax K-3 II's Shake Reduction system can now detect and account for panning motion, stabilizing your motion on all but the axis of the panning motion."

Pretty trick, no?
05-21-2017, 06:06 AM   #4

I had a K7 then I recently got the K3ii. I also do quite a bit of motor sports photography and it's panning detection works well. On the K7, I had to turn the SR off in order to get clear panning shots as the SR was countering the panning, making the image significantly worse. When I would take my people shots, I would forget to turn it back on, another issue. With the K3ii, its no longer the case. On top of that, I can take panning shots handheld, which I couldn't do before. The panning detection doe work and it works well!!

05-21-2017, 08:47 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ephophex Quote
"At the same time as improving the efficacy of the stabilization system, Ricoh has also made another change which should mean that you get better results when shooting moving subjects: The Pentax K-3 II's Shake Reduction system can now detect and account for panning motion, stabilizing your motion on all but the axis of the panning motion."
Does it work the same on the K3 ?
05-21-2017, 08:58 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the 8+ FPS will likely do more for your images than the shake reduction. i use a k3 and shoot motorcycle racing constantly. rarely go as slow as 1/80 but do a lot at 1/125.

as far as i know the k3 doesn't have panning shake reduction, so it must be a k3ii thing?
05-21-2017, 10:29 AM   #7

I believe the panning SR is part of the upgrade from K3 to K3ii. The other upgrades are the GPS (which replaced the built in flash), AstroChaser mode and pixel-shift high res setting.
05-21-2017, 10:57 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JCCharles Quote
I had a K7 then I recently got the K3ii. I also do quite a bit of motor sports photography and it's panning detection works well. On the K7, I had to turn the SR off in order to get clear panning shots as the SR was countering the panning, making the image significantly worse. When I would take my people shots, I would forget to turn it back on, another issue. With the K3ii, its no longer the case. On top of that, I can take panning shots handheld, which I couldn't do before. The panning detection doe work and it works well!!
Thanks, JC!

I'm the world's most absent-minded shooter; so simply not having to remember to switch it is a huge plus.