Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2017, 10:11 AM - 2 Likes   #1

African Safari -- Lens report

Just returned from two weeks on safari in (near) Kruger National Park in South Africa and the Chobe National Park in Botswana.

Leading up to the trip, I spent a couple months surfing the net for advice on lenses to take.

In the end, here's what I decided to take: Two identical K-3 bodies (already had them) and two 18-135 lenses. When you've got one, you've got none. Also took a brand new 60-250 -- and a monopod.

Prior to the trip, I discovered and learned to use; 1. Back button focus (spot), and 2. Tav setting allowing me to always manually control shutter speed and aperture. Don't think I'll ever go back. (This was on my 60-250 equipped camera) My daughter used the other body with an 18-135 lens on 'Green' mode. She's not into cameras and just wanted a point and shoot capability.

Results certainly met and exceeded my expectations. Over 6000 photos between the two of us. Very few were duds.

Highlights:
1. Daytime photos are outstanding - well focused and super crisp. I tried to keep shutter speeds in the 1000 to 2000 range to minimize shake and subject movement. Tried to keep aperture in mid-range and ISO less than 1000. It worked !!

2. Very good low level light (after sunset) capability for shooting animals. Shutter speeds down to 100 - 400 range. Got some outstanding shots. Other friends on the trip had smaller-sensor equipped cameras and struggled with low light shots.

3. My zoom range was more than adequate - especially on the 60-250 since the photos were so sharp, I could crop heavily and still have a great image. Friends had some big-zoom Point and Shoot cameras (one had a 40x), but, as you would expect, shake was an issue at higher zooms. Monopod was very helpful to me and fairly easy to use from inside the safari vehicle. The lens mount ring/foot on the 60-250 made using the monopod even easier.

4. The 18-135 was very useful - especially when we were close to animals. There were many times we were less than 100 feet away.

Returning home was challenging since we flew out of Qatar to the states. Latest US security rules require all large electrical equipment has to be in checked bags on flights originating from designated middle eastern countries. . Fortunately, everything made it back to the states successfully.

Hope this info is helpful to future first-time safari travelers.

06-22-2017, 10:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Cool thanks for the report back
You confirmed my suspicion, that zooms would be a lot more useful in that situation than a super long prime.

The 60-250mm is one of the lenses that really makes Pentax unique
06-22-2017, 10:46 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I did the same parks back in 2002. Cant wait for some pictures. I only had a point and shoot back then and unfortunately i went to delete a shot and it deleted all my shots. My most interesting experience was at camp when a storm knocked out the electric fence. The lions and hyenas just outside didn't know so we avoided a jurassic park situation.
06-22-2017, 10:52 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
I did the same parks back in 2002. Cant wait for some pictures. I only had a point and shoot back then and unfortunately i went to delete a shot and it deleted all my shots. My most interesting experience was at camp when a storm knocked out the electric fence. The lions and hyenas just outside didn't know so we avoided a jurassic park situation.
This reminds me of the German girl and her friend he paid my over $1000 to take them on a photographic trips that turned out to have everything. Fall colours, birds moose , her, a couple of hikes to vistas. On her way back to Western University she left her camera on the bus. Stuff happens.

To the OP, glad you like your 60-250, as far as I'm concerned it's an amazing lens. It always causes me pain when someone has issues with it.

06-22-2017, 02:00 PM   #5
CDW
Site Supporter

Ditto on the 60-250. I rented one for a shoot with my K1. It was the equal, and with additional range on each end, of my Canon 70-200 F4L lens. I wish the 60-250 was all internal housing like the Canon but I can live with it. I'll be renting one again for an upcoming Australian trip.
06-22-2017, 04:35 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Photos or it didn't happen :-)
06-22-2017, 06:00 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I have been to Kruger park twice and loved it. I agree that the 18-135 is a very useful lens to have as the animals are often very close to the car. We even had two rhinos less then 2 yards away as seen in the first photo below.

Thanks for the tip on the monopod. Never occured to me to use it in the car. I'll bring mine if I get an opportunity to go again.

Last time I only had the Pentax AF 55-200 zoom (version I) which is completely inadequate, not only in terms of the focal length but quality. My old Nikon 70-200 f4 vastly exceeds the quality of this lens (last three pics below are with the Nikon).

I have now bought a K-3 and the DA*300 lens which I hope to use next time. Bit less flexibility then a zoom but should offer great IQ.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D50  Photo 

Last edited by Theov39; 06-29-2017 at 04:15 AM.