Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2017, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
Like Steve, I shoot a K-3 and fail to see any compelling reason to seek for a replacement or "upgrade". It keeps giving me great images, with the added bonus that after three years of use, I'm beginning to know how to make it sing without having to think much about it.

The soonest I would even contemplate adding a new camera body to my gear wishlist would be when Ricoh releases a worthy K-3 II successor. Seriously, why would I want to ditch an expert-level flagship for a retro-ergonomics mid-range model? I trust that the KP's IQ improvements and attractive features like the focus bracketing will find their way into the upcoming top-of-the-line offering.

For the time being, my focus remains on closing gaps in my lens and accessory kit, and otherwise on enjoying photography with what I have and can do with it, which is quite a bit.

BTW, the attached image of our doggy dame enjoying the last rays of the evening sun in our garden was taken with my cheapest lens, the plastic-fantastic DA 50mm F1.8. A "lazy" image, in a way, but it means a lot to me. To get it, I observed the light, sensed the right moment, and intuitively knew how the gear would record it and what I would have to do to nail it. Go figure.
Same as me, I know how the K-3 works, when to use it and when not to. But I'd be interested in hearing what other who have upgraded K-3 series to K-P have to say. For me it's simple. I'm not giving up the 23 shoot buffer. I use it too much to contemplate going without. In the new APS_c I'm looking for faster AF, more dynamic range, 50 shot buffer and 10 FPS. I can't see paying money for less than that given that I'm so happy with the K-3. I also have the K-1 for landscapes, so I cover GPS shots with the K-1.

07-28-2017, 09:27 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

KP pros over K-3ii:
-Three wheel operation
-Tilting LCD (big plus!)
-Better high ISO performance and general IQ
-Reordering in the info button menu (very usful!)
-Switch for View Finde/LiveView/Video
-In-camera motion correction on pixelshift
-5 axis stabilization
-In-built flash (can be used as wireless master)
-New Focus peaking mode added

K-3II pros over KP:
-Separate AF and AL-E buttons
-Faster FPS with big buffer
-Dual card slot
-Top LCD
-GPS
-Button to toggle af point selection and function buttons
-Better grip for big lenses
-Bigger accu (and I assume you have spares)
-Higher rated shutter (200'000 vs 100'000)
-Cheaper

These come in mind, there should be other things. (I have a KP and a K-30 only.)
07-28-2017, 09:55 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@08amczb: You have some engaging, well-observed, in-the-moment photography on your flickr page, I must say, Benjámin.

Regardless of which particular gear you used to get those images, you certainly knew what you where doing with what you had. Keep on shooting!
07-28-2017, 11:01 AM   #19
Pentaxian

The K-P has a few interesting attractions but they are not sufficiently different to entice me to pay that high price, when compared with the features and current cost of the K-70 and the K-3II.

Philip

07-28-2017, 11:59 AM   #20
Veteran Member

@Madaboutpix: Thanks Marc.
07-28-2017, 12:04 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
The K-P has a few interesting attractions but they are not sufficiently different to entice me to pay that high price, when compared with the features and current cost of the K-70 and the K-3II.

Philip
The price of the K-P and it's feature set killed my enthusiasm for the coming APS-c flagship. It's going to cost near the cost of my K-1 if the price of the K-P is any indication.
07-28-2017, 12:11 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I plan to stick with my K3 until the K3II replacement comes along, whenever that is and it will be probably my last digital camera. I toyed with buying a K1 but decided that my investment in APS-C lenses precluded that buy. I really don't see the KP as even a K3 upgrade due to much of the already stated short coming vs the K3II. I personally love the handling and ergonomics and the control layout of the K3/3II very hard to beat. I'm not a fan of the changeable grip, can't really say why as I have never handled one but it just seems a little gimmicky to me.

Hurry up Ricoh Pentax I'm ready to upgrade

LarryMc

07-28-2017, 12:40 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I currently have a K-3. The tilting screen, pixel shift and bulb timer are features form the KP that I find enticing, but the smaller-than-K-70 buffer, price & smaller battery are deal breakers for me. If my K-3 were to give up the ghost tomorrow, I'd be more likely to get either a K-70 or a used K-3 II than a KP. I'm very much hoping for a K-3 successor, but I fear the price Ricoh may be asking for it...
07-28-2017, 12:58 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I really like the formfactor and appearance of the KP but the minute iq improvements over the k3ii and the lack of GPS (crucial). Makes a KP purchase impossible for me. Anyway I don't upgrade unless there are huge improvements.
07-28-2017, 01:11 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I really like the formfactor and appearance of the KP but the minute iq improvements over the k3ii and the lack of GPS (crucial). Makes a KP purchase impossible for me. Anyway I don't upgrade unless there are huge improvements.
Could they make a Silver K-P skin for my K-3?
07-28-2017, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #26
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gold Coast Quote
Would you get ride of your K3II and get a new KP Pentax? What would keep you from doing this? I am on the fence on both cameras. The main thing I do like better on the new KP is its being able to move the rear screen especially for over head and low shots. Give your pros and cons on upgrading to the KP? Feedback greatly appreciated.

Thanks Bill
getting rid of a K3II is one thing, being on the fence on both cameras it is an entirely different matter.
Last month I bought a KP, would have I done the same if I had still owned my K3?
Frankly I don't know the answer and the point is that they are very different cameras, the KP isn't a step up but a different kind of camera.
What I know is that we are in 2017 and the K3(II) is an old camera and even at the reduced price you can buy it now IMHO it is not worth buying, we call them cameras, but this is technology, they are computers with lenses, would you buy the 2014 Mac Mini today?
I don't care about what people call cons (battery, top lcd, dual card slots) for the KP, and I love its features (latest technology in terms of sensor, processor, SR, pixel shift and its 3 dials, not to mention the tilting screen) so it was an easy choice for me.
My choice would have been much harder if a K3III would have been out on the market (don't forget: when the K3 II replacement will be available its price will be considerably higher than the KP at that time).
In the end it is your choice, no one knows better than you what are your photographic needs, my suggestion is: find yourself a chance to try the camera before buying: technical specs are one thing, but ergonomics and being at ease with a tool in your hands it is the kind of rating/opinion/evaluation that we can gauge only by our personal experience.
07-28-2017, 01:53 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by talgarik Quote
What I know is that we are in 2017 and the K3(II) is an old camera and even at the reduced price you can buy it now IMHO it is not worth buying, we call them cameras, but this is technology, they are computers with lenses, would you buy the 2014 Mac Mini today?
I'm still using a 2010 mac mini today. It works fine, although largely used as a travel computer these days. My main computer is a 2010 iMac i7 quad core, and it also works great, in some way more functional tham my wife's 4K iMac. I'll replace them if they break. Given current prices, I might even look for a used one a couple of years newer than what I own. Just saying....
K-5s are still rocking in the Pentax world. They were top of the line when released and still in the top 50 of all the cameras rated on DxO. If you buy good quality, it lasts, and will be worth buying 5 years down the line.

Most of us don't upgrade with every new model.
07-28-2017, 04:15 PM   #28
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In Australia the K-P retails for about $A1500 (body only), and is only supplied with one grip. Seems to me that, if you want a non-flagship camera, the K-70 retailing for around $A900 is much better value. You could buy a decent lens or two with the change.

Interesting how much difference there is in which features appeal to us. I really like the popup flash on the K-3 for fill and for use with a Rogue Safari. The one on the K-P (GN 6!) doesn't cut it. I love the heft and solidity of the K-3 and the ergonomics. I use dust alert a lot. Frame rate is handy. The quiet shutter, battery life. The tilting screen, wi-fi and pixel shift of the K-P would be nice, but not enough to lose so many things I like, let alone at the high asking price.

Last edited by Des; 07-28-2017 at 11:35 PM.
07-28-2017, 05:35 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I upgraded from K-3 to K-1 and really have no need for another camera. But I never sold my DA Limiteds; they were in the boxes, ready to go but - failure to launch.

When I had the opportunity to buy a discounted, used KP from a member I pulled the trigger, specifically for use with the pancake Limiteds when I don't want to pack the K-1.

Since KP is intentionally a second camera, doing the Critical Thinking exercise wasn't necessary. It is a different camera idea, really a mid-range in an interesting package - and probably a one-off technology test bed - not a flagship alternative..

I won't buy the K-3lln, and I wouldn't upgrade (sidegrade) from K-3 to KP.

Last edited by monochrome; 07-28-2017 at 05:57 PM.
08-08-2017, 04:43 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Whether you consider the KP to be a step up from the K-3 & K-3II depends on your priorities.
Fully agree.

The K-1 and KP are not as good from a FPS burst/buffer size perspective for example, when compared to the K-3 range.
Pick a tool that suits your needs, and be happy with it.
I'm glad Pentax offer a few options, but for my requirements the K-3 range suits me best.

None of them suit my video needs (but are sooo close it's painful) but that's another story