Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2017, 12:24 AM   #1

K-3ii SR not functioning?

Hi all,

I'm new here and just bought a second-hand K-3ii after a while with my trusty K-50. I'm concerned about the SR mechanism on the K-3ii for a couple of reasons: first, in live view the stabilisation seems very patchy (yes, it's turned on!): e.g. panning the camera, it will stick and then jerk across to catch up. Minor wobbles don't seem very well damped, especially compared to the K-50 which smoothes out high frequency movement well. I can hear the familiar grinding of the mechanism, however. The K-3ii system should be more advanced, no?

Secondly, the 'dust removal' function should use the SR mechanism to vibrate the sensor if I'm right? On the K-50 there is an audible noise and felt vibration; on the K-3ii I hear or feel nothing. Does it use a similar system or should I be contacting the seller with these problems?

Cheers,

Chris

08-01-2017, 12:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by burncpt Quote
Secondly, the 'dust removal' function should use the SR mechanism to vibrate the sensor if I'm right? On the K-50 there is an audible noise and felt vibration; on the K-3ii I hear or feel nothing. Does it use a similar system or should I be contacting the seller with these problems?
I don't have a camera on hand to test but I think K-3II is like the K-3 which uses an ultrasonic element to remove dust, so it doesn't shake the sensor and make no noise which can hear by human ears.
08-01-2017, 12:51 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I dont have the K3II so cannot answer specifically, but the dust removal on my new K1 is silent (unlike my old K10) so I imagine yours is functioning correctly.

As far as panning I find results are betther with the SR turned off.
08-01-2017, 01:04 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-3's dust removal is indeed silent, so that's no problem. Are you seeing any SR induced blur in your images? If not then you're probably fine.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-01-2017, 01:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
All sounds normal. Dust removal is indeed silent (more or less), and panning will cause problems...the mechanism tries to correct but can only go so far and then has to reset...if you are doing panning shots, SR should be off. Live View being a bit laggy in certain circumstances is not specific to SR. The proof of the pudding is in the images.
08-01-2017, 04:25 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-3II has a panning mode for SR, it detects the direction and works only it that axis if I recall correctly. It would be jerky in live view, but using the ovf will be more accurate as you are visually tracking the subject better than when at arms length.
08-01-2017, 10:24 AM   #7

Original Poster
OK, thanks for all your help people. I'll keep my eye on it. It was the combination of these things - mainly the apparently poor SR in comparison with my K-50 that got me worried. As victormeldrew said, I gotta get some proper photos out of it at slow shutter and see how well it copes. Should be better than the K-50, no?