Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2017, 02:46 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K3 ii Interval shooting with mirror lock up

Hey folks,

I am wanting to shoot using the built in interval function, but also use the mirror lock to avoid shake. Can this be done or are there any other solutions?

Thanks

Richard

08-17-2017, 02:56 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rmagers Quote
Hey folks,

I am wanting to shoot using the built in interval function, but also use the mirror lock to avoid shake. Can this be done or are there any other solutions?

Thanks

Richard
I think the simplest solution would be to put the camera in live view and select the interval drive mode- then the mirror will be out of your way for good

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-17-2017, 05:04 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think the simplest solution would be to put the camera in live view and select the interval drive mode- then the mirror will be out of your way for good
Wow... Why didn't I think of that!

Than you. I will give that try. Makes sense to me.
08-17-2017, 05:04 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Is this one of the areas where the K-3II differs from the K-3? On my K-3 (firmware v1.30) the camera exits live view with the first interval exposure and does not return until the program is finished. The mirror cycles as usual. I assume this behavior is to extend battery life.

On the K-3, an external intervalometer may be used in conjunction with live view to provide mirror-up intervals, though at the risk of rapid battery depletion. Note that the "sleep" feature must be "off" or set to longer than the exposure interval.

Steve

08-17-2017, 09:37 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Is this one of the areas where the K-3II differs from the K-3? On my K-3 (firmware v1.30) the camera exits live view with the first interval exposure and does not return until the program is finished. The mirror cycles as usual. I assume this behavior is to extend battery life.

On the K-3, an external intervalometer may be used in conjunction with live view to provide mirror-up intervals, though at the risk of rapid battery depletion. Note that the "sleep" feature must be "off" or set to longer than the exposure interval.

Steve
I figured that if you put the camera in LV, it would stay there until commanded otherwise. Turns out I was wrong- just tried it out!

But unless you're using a K-1 between 1/90s and 1/180s, mirror shake shouldn't be an issue as long as you have a good tripod.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-17-2017, 09:48 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I figured that if you put the camera in LV, it would stay there until commanded otherwise. Turns out I was wrong- just tried it out!
I am finding that the "unexpected" is pretty much the norm when trying to hack the edges of some features. Our PF users are very good at asking questions that invoke "edge" and "corner" behaviors.

Steve