Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2017, 08:39 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K3 ii: Bracketing by changing only shutter speed

I am shooting the K3 ii in Manual , and want bracket shots by only changing the shutter speed. Currently it is changing both shutter speed and aperture. Can't seem to figure this out.

Thanks
Richard

08-19-2017, 09:07 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

it is the shooting mode; set to AV , choose the aperture and correspondingly the shutter should be adjusted.just tested it and it works
08-19-2017, 09:47 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yup, Av mode with manual ISO is what you need to do.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-20-2017, 02:59 AM - 1 Like   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rmagers Quote
I am shooting the K3 ii in Manual , and want bracket shots by only changing the shutter speed. Currently it is changing both shutter speed and aperture. Can't seem to figure this out.

Thanks
Richard
Go to Rec mode menu (camera icon) page 4, choose E-Dial Programming, choose M mode (on page 2), set Green Button function to Tv Shift. As an undocumented side effect of this setting bracketing in M mode changes only shutter speed. See pages 22 and 78 of the manual.

08-20-2017, 06:14 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by markkuk Quote
Go to Rec mode menu (camera icon) page 4, choose E-Dial Programming, choose M mode (on page 2), set Green Button function to Tv Shift. As an undocumented side effect of this setting bracketing in M mode changes only shutter speed. See pages 22 and 78 of the manual.
You don't know how many times I tried to find this. Thank you very much. worked like charm. I am planning on shooting the eclipse tomorrow and bracketing to make sure I get good images. Now i just wait for the skies to clear.
08-20-2017, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rmagers Quote
You don't know how many times I tried to find this. Thank you very much. worked like charm. I am planning on shooting the eclipse tomorrow and bracketing to make sure I get good images. Now i just wait for the skies to clear.
Control of bracketing in M mode is a huge undocumented gem. If the lens has an aperture ring, the same may be accomplished by using that for setting the aperture. (Tv shift is the default when aperture ring is used.)

Another helpful setting is to set bracketing to burst with a single shutter push instead of manually shooting through the sequence. There is a very real risk of missing a shot for larger brackets when doing so manually (don't ask me how I know this ).
Menu --> C2 --> 9. One Push Bracketing ON
When bracketing in a burst, Av mode with manual ISO (noted in other comments) may also be a good option, though applying -3 stops EC might be in order.

Steve
08-20-2017, 01:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Thank you for this! I was wondering why it would change iso in bracketing mode in manual