Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 124 Likes Search this Thread
06-29-2018, 10:45 AM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
K-3? I'll likely still be shooting my K-01 and K-5 II when the mushroom clouds begin to sprout...
And I am still shooting the K10D I bought in 2006!

06-29-2018, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #92
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The K-3 must still have something to offer you - otherwise you would have taken the K-1 or the KP on this adventure.
I'd never give up APS_c for this type of shot. Every image is 50% bigger taken through an APS-c camera with the same lens.
06-29-2018, 11:12 AM   #93
Pentaxian

I think the K3 iso capabilities are more then Iso 640, which is to low .

In a day light, you can really raise the iso without almost any noise, except in strongest shadows. I realise Pentax K3 could bring the iso 6400 in daily situations, and noise is acceptable and minimal.

In high iso photography there are few tricks I learned.

First one is - dont put your iso to down, specially when you have enough light to raise that, because raisnig it up will not destroy your image, but your image could be better. If you pull down your Iso, and expect to raise your underexposure, later in LR, you could end up, with blurry pic, and secondly, you would not got the grain free image,
because no matter if the Iso was just 100, most of that pic would be underexposed, and your lifting it up in LR - would still be grainy, and you will end up, once again - with noise reduction sliders.

So your pic will be compromised more . With blur from lower speed, and also - you will end up with noise reduction, and unnatural look.

I was in the same boat as you are right now, thinking how bad is bigger Iso, and tried to do everything to pull the scale down, shutting with lower speeds, and I discover one day the tips from a guy, who use real old cameras, with real poor Iso capabilities for todays standards.

He post in his blog several jpg and from examples I realise I got it all wrong with my Iso technique. Many guys did not aware of that.

Last edited by panonski; 06-29-2018 at 11:33 AM.
06-29-2018, 11:21 AM   #94
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm old and own a K3 so I am already here.

06-29-2018, 12:27 PM   #95
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
I think the K3 iso capabilities are more then Iso 640, which is to low .

In a day light, you can really raise the iso without almost any noise, except in strongest shadows. I realise Pentax K3 could bring the iso 6400 in daily situations, and noise is acceptable and minimal.

In high iso photography there are few tricks I learned.

First one is - dont put your iso to down, specially when you have enough light to raise that, because raisnig it up will not destroy your image, but your image could be better. If you pull down your Iso, and expect to raise your underexposure, later in LR, you could end up, with blurry pic, and secondly, you would not got the grain free image,
because no matter if the Iso was just 100, most of that pic would be underexposed, and your lifting it up in LR - would still be grainy, and you will end up, once again - with noise reduction sliders.

So your pic will be compromised more . With blur from lower speed, and also - you will end up with noise reduction, and unnatural look.

I was in the same boat as you are right now, thinking how bad is bigger Iso, and tried to do everything to pull the scale down, shutting with lower speeds, and I discover one day the tips from a guy, who use real old cameras, with real poor Iso capabilities for todays standards.

He post in his blog several jpg and from examples I realise I got it all wrong with my Iso technique. Many guys did not aware of that.
I tend to shoot at -.7 EV, so my real ISO is above 800. Many of my shooting sessions are not repeatable. I am certain with 640 ISO I can salvage the image if worst come to worst. I had a K-5 before the K-3 that I was happy shooting at 800 ISO. Which is what I started my K-3 at. I decided I had to dial it back a bit, based on some very noisy 800 ISO images.

It was a case of "I can live with bad, but not that bad."
07-05-2018, 03:52 PM   #96
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Been playing with my kit tonight fixing a sdm dying 16-50 with a K20D and just picked up my gripped K-3 with a DA*50-135 and you what? It's a great setup to just hold in your hands, a solid no messing setup, the K-1 feels that bit bigger as a result. It's a perfect setup for telephoto shots, a goldilocks moment for me size wise and I outfitted the K-1 with the 43 for a bit of street shooting action alongside.
07-05-2018, 04:41 PM   #97
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Been playing with my kit tonight fixing a sdm dying 16-50 with a K20D and just picked up my gripped K-3 with a DA*50-135 and you what? It's a great setup to just hold in your hands, a solid no messing setup, the K-1 feels that bit bigger as a result. It's a perfect setup for telephoto shots, a goldilocks moment for me size wise and I outfitted the K-1 with the 43 for a bit of street shooting action alongside.
Interesting. I have been thinking alot lately about my old DA*50-135 on the K-3ii. It is a sweet setup.

07-05-2018, 06:29 PM   #98
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I might be tempted by whatever follows the K-3II, but will be keeping said beast as back-up/second body.
07-06-2018, 03:42 AM   #99
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A K3 & DA* 50-135 along with a K1 fitted with 31 or 50 mm prime is a very useful landscape combination for me.

A K3 with a 20-40 Limited and a 15mm in pocket makes for a perfect walkabout combination. I sold off my other DA Limiteds to simplify with these two, ideal for K3, lenses.

The two main advantages for me of the K1 over the K3 are the K1's better DR and I can use an ISO over the 400 cap I set with the K3. The K3s fine over ISO 400, but it shows when printed large. Other than that I'll keep my K3 and remaining lenses for as long as can - it works so well ...
07-06-2018, 10:11 AM   #100
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
A K3 & DA* 50-135 along with a K1 fitted with 31 or 50 mm prime is a very useful landscape combination for me.

A K3 with a 20-40 Limited and a 15mm in pocket makes for a perfect walkabout combination. I sold off my other DA Limiteds to simplify with these two, ideal for K3, lenses.

The two main advantages for me of the K1 over the K3 are the K1's better DR and I can use an ISO over the 400 cap I set with the K3. The K3s fine over ISO 400, but it shows when printed large. Other than that I'll keep my K3 and remaining lenses for as long as can - it works so well ...
On our recent trip to Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park I took the DA 12-24, the DA 55-300 and the FA 100 macro. Used only the 12-24, 55-300. I don't know why, but I don't seem to ever need the 25-54mm range. I didn't see any special flora to use the macro on over a busy weekend with the kids (50 yrs old, but still kids to me).
07-22-2018, 12:42 AM   #101
Veteran Member

Considering my age, most likely yes.
07-22-2018, 02:55 AM   #102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I keep mine until I start to buy only ripe bananas
07-22-2018, 03:32 AM   #103
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I have no interest in a FF so I will keep my K 3 and K 3 II along with their battery grips

would I be interested any " improved " camera in the K 3 family

well that would depend on the improvement ( an rear screen that could be manipulated would be nice ) and the costs
07-22-2018, 03:38 AM   #104
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Took the K-3 and 16-50 + 50-135 out on a work theme day that involved kayaking, rafting and an adventure course involving smelly, muddy ponds and ropes. Got splashed around a bit but it was worth it for the few shots and look of stunned disbelief when I hosed them down afterwards
K-1 and FA Limiteds came out for the more civil drinking session afterwards.
07-22-2018, 03:49 AM   #105
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Took the K-3 and 16-50 + 50-135 out on a work theme day that involved kayaking, rafting and an adventure course involving smelly, muddy ponds and ropes. Got splashed around a bit but it was worth it for the few shots and look of stunned disbelief when I hosed them down afterwards
K-1 and FA Limiteds came out for the more civil drinking session afterwards.

or the limitations of the equipment