Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 124 Likes Search this Thread
07-24-2018, 01:45 AM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Grow old with my K-3II no, but I'll certainly do longer with the K-3 / K-3II than with any body before. Partly because of Pentax's release schedule, but also because I recently purchased a second K-3II as a back-up for my original (beaten up) K-3II.

All will depend on the next generation APS-C flagship's features. So far I've never skipped a generation since my *istDS, but I must admit the added value of moving to the next generation has been going down steadily. In all honestly, a few years ago I was convinced I would stay with the K-5 and no longer upgrade, since the K-5 seemed to offer me all I needed. However, I ended up upgrading to the K-3 and the K-3II after that... Perhaps the cost of the next move will make me stick with the K-3II, same as it has stopped me from moving to FF. Now that I will have to replace two bodies instead of one... who knows...

Wim

07-24-2018, 07:07 AM - 3 Likes   #107
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Grow old with my K-3II no, but I'll certainly do longer with the K-3 / K-3II than with any body before. Partly because of Pentax's release schedule, but also because I recently purchased a second K-3II as a back-up for my original (beaten up) K-3II.
[snip]
Wim
My upgrade schedule has been definitely not on the get the latest model schedule. I have used Pentax cameras since I bought an original first generation Pentax in a pawn shop in 1961 in Vancouver BC. I changed to a KX, also used, when the shutters wore out. I (foolishly on looking back) replaced the KX with an SF-1 when I began stringing sports for the built in winder.; the KX didn't have the winder capable base plate. I added the MZ-S when my wife appropriated the SF-1. The MZ-S was replaced with a K10 when living in the area we do, getting film and developing was bordering on impossible. I now have a K-3 which replaced the K10 when the electronics were becoming unreliable, probably dating from when I fell in a park on a rocky slope. The top plate was cracked in the fall and I replaced that, but a couple of years later the K10 began to act strangely at times. I began to haunt used cameras and picked up a used K-3 from McBain Camera in Edmonton with less than 15,000 clicks on it. It will last me until it fails.

Or I fail. I swore I would never get any older than Jack Benny. I celebrated the 39th anniversary of my 39th birthday June 10th past. There is a T shirt available that says my current status perfectly:

MADE IN THE 40s
ORIGINAL AND UNRESTORED
SOME PARTS STILL IN WORKING ORDER

Last edited by Canada_Rockies; 07-24-2018 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Added details
07-24-2018, 09:26 AM   #108
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by heinamj Quote
Anyone planning to grow old with their K3?
I didn't plan to but, having aged a lot in the past year, I've pretty much done just that. And, now that I (and especially my right shoulder) am old, I just invested in a Micro 4/3 system.

I have a K-1, which I will keep and use in situations where its special capabilities add value and its heft won't be a significant burden. However, I can imagine that the Oly 4/3 will take over as my go-to in many of the situations where I currently reach for the K-3--specifically, walk-around and long lens shooting.
07-24-2018, 11:49 AM   #109
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I didn't plan to but, having aged a lot in the past year, I've pretty much done just that. And, now that I (and especially my right shoulder) am old, I just invested in a Micro 4/3 system.

I have a K-1, which I will keep and use in situations where its special capabilities add value and its heft won't be a significant burden. However, I can imagine that the Oly 4/3 will take over as my go-to in many of the situations where I currently reach for the K-3--specifically, walk-around and long lens shooting.

microfour third and Oly ( specially if you would take the some of PEN ) can lead you to rediscover photography again, and I think you would love it

07-24-2018, 12:12 PM   #110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
microfour third and Oly ( specially if you would take the some of PEN ) can lead you to rediscover photography again, and I think you would love it
Actually, I chose the OM-D E-M1 Mark II. The PEN will be too small for me.
07-24-2018, 01:24 PM   #111
Pentaxian

At our local U3A Photo Group (which I run) I've just seen some shots from a very recent Panasonic4/3rds body/lens combo by someone who does now how to use that kit - and the definition on the blown-up shots don't hold a candle to those from my K-30 (now "K-50") with the 55-300PLM! And the K-30 isn't much, if any, heavier than the Pana body (although the lens probably is)..
07-24-2018, 01:37 PM   #112
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K3 vs K1 II

I purchased the K1 II recently and while I very much like it, I still have no problems with my K3 ( and my K5 ). I actually like the lighter weight of the K3 and the size being a bit smaller is also just fine. I guess it just depends upon what you like to shoot and how critical you are. I always thought that both the K5 and K3 took excellent pictures and I have had several blown up and printed and mounted. No issues. In fact, the K5 actually has more features on it than the K3, and the K5 manual is way better and more detailed. I have grips on all three bodies and really like the extra battery power. I can go all day and never worry about running out of juice. I do use some of the best lenses that Pentax makes and find this helps with colour and clarity. Also, I use B & W UV and polarizer filters and really like them. I used some other brands initially but found that I noticed a difference when I switched. In particular, I like the Kaesemann polarizers. While the K3 is no longer considered ground breaking, it still produces excellent photos consistently and isn't that what we are all looking for?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
07-24-2018, 01:47 PM   #113
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Yoda boy Quote
While the K3 is no longer considered ground breaking, it still produces excellent photos consistently
Totally agree.
07-24-2018, 03:02 PM   #114

Since I have had my K-3 for that grand total of 30 days ... Yes, I will grow old(er) with it.
The ergonomics and styling of the K-7/K-5/K-3 ... is great. It is small and inconspicuous for traveling or you can throw a battery grip and big lens on to impress everyone.
Since I am on the cheap side, I may look at a used K1- (??) at some point in the future but will probably hang onto the K-3 for a long time.
07-26-2018, 08:30 PM   #115
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I will probably grow old with mine along with my K5 but they may become backup bodies one day, these cameras hold up like tanks, that's why I am seeing a long future with them. If they die, then I will stick them up on my photo equipment shrine.....

Last edited by BirdDude007; 07-29-2018 at 09:24 AM.
07-26-2018, 11:54 PM   #116

Will be keeping my K3ll. Use it when i want the faster frame rate. Might update it after a few more K3 version or if it ever dies.
07-27-2018, 04:26 AM - 1 Like   #117
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm very pleased that an updated K3 is on the way to eventually feed into the used market to be an upgrade in 4 or 5 years... buying new not likely an option due to a third bout of the financial disease known as Tuition...
07-27-2018, 07:38 PM   #118
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’ve never sold anything, so no inputs into the used market from me! So my K-5 is lensed, batteried and ready for use, but it doesn’t get used (unless the Good Mrs Micro wants to use it).
11-02-2020, 06:23 PM   #119
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by heinamj Quote
I
... anyone else planning to stick with yours?
Three years later and I'm still loving my K3!
11-02-2020, 08:15 PM - 1 Like   #120
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Not worth the increment improvement to buy a K3ii, and until there is a pro-level APS to replace my K3 - it remains my primary digital body. AND if Pentax restores the popup flash (always got it if I need it, and don't have to carry two flashes to control off camera flash) to the next pro-level APS camera, I'll be near the front of the line.