Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 124 Likes Search this Thread
11-03-2017, 05:40 AM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm comfortable with the K3II now, field macro with ringflash has been great. I'll put my money toward other lenses instead.
We'll see, though, what the replacement brings - a siren's song of new sensors and autofocus engines....

11-03-2017, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Perfectly happy with my now 14,000+ shutter count K-3 picked up in 2014. Try to balance body purchases against lens and key accessory acquisitions, keeping my processing software up-to-date, etc., so there is limited wriggle room even within my humble photo budget.

But, yes, if Ricoh came up with a more-than-incremental-upgrade APS-C flagship, I would certainly be tempted to buy it. Would expect it to incorporate recent technologies like pixel shift (pretty much standard by now) and, even more importantly, focus stacking (as debuted in the KP). Better high-ISO without losing grip on low-ISO image quality, an upgraded AF module, and white balance improvements should be a given. And, please, no compromises on ergonomics. A flagship model must be simply the best throw-anything-at-me photographic tool it can possibly be in its line, and not a hipster object.

Just hope that they won't make it so expensive as to put it out of my reach. As would be the case for any new body that would retail for more than, say, 1,200 or 1,300 euros. The K-7 and K-3 both stayed well below that personal crunch point, but those days may well be over ...

At any rate, I'm rarely among the first adopters of new models, both for budget and refusal-to-be-a-beta tester reasons.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 11-03-2017 at 07:35 AM.
11-03-2017, 07:26 AM - 2 Likes   #33
Pentaxian

I just don't see any big advantage for myself in another body. The K3 does everything I ask of it. Why change?
I guess it all boils down to what you require. If a K3 doesn't get you there then upgrade.
But the K3 is a very capable camera.
11-03-2017, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
he graduated college in 2016, started his career and got married in July - so I guess it is ok that he is concentrating on other things

for now
Photographs of the grandchildren, eventually.

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
But only this week I realized that Pentax digital is only about 20 years old.
Not even. First one wasn't until after the turn of the new century. Closer to 15; you still can't take it out for a drink on its birthday.

---------- Post added 03-11-17 at 12:18 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
At any rate, I'm rarely among the first adopters of new models, both for budget and refusal-to-be-a-beta tester reasons.
Wise of you. I waited a year before considering that if being stuck in manual mode is the worst thing that can happen to me on the K-1, bring it on.

I know what I want from any future Pentax DSLR. It may be an impossible ask, but it means that short of replacement for death or breakage, I am not tempted to put my hand in my wallet for a camera body for many, many years to come.

11-03-2017, 07:49 AM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

Since I shoot a lot of small birds and animals, I like the low light performance of the K-P and K-1. Shooting under the canopy, trying to keep you DOF wide and your shutter speed up, every bit of ISO matters. There are times I simply have to pu the K-3 down for the K-1 because a K-1 image is acceptable often up to 3200 ISO. A K-3 image can be awful at 800. It's about a 1 stop advantage.

The other issue would be speed of AF, predictive AF.c, doing the Nikon thing where using coninuous thing doesn't slow down the frame rate, I find the Pentax thing cutting my frame rate from 8 FPS to 4 FPS when taking of using continuous AF.s is simply not acceptable. I'd like a ;tittle high DR frat eh K-3 as well. SO there are many issues that could sell me another camera.

Whether Pentax will ever offer those things, or whether I'll want to pay for them is another issue.

But realistically I do just fine with what I have, those things would be "nice to have" things, not "have to have" things.

Last edited by normhead; 11-03-2017 at 09:15 AM.
11-03-2017, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

I don't think there is a reason to upgrade unless you feel there is a need. I have been using K-5 for about 5 years now and never had a problem or thought about upgrading. Never actually paid attention to camera releases because I didn't feel I needed it... Until I tried getting into night photography and triple-processing RAW files. I also find that I prefer to use film when I just want to get the shot that I like the way I like it right away, but I use K-5 when I want to experiment or have difficult light conditions. Now that I do try to test its limits a bit I find I'd like to expand those limits eventually.
11-03-2017, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
By the time the K-3 successor comes out I might be able to afford it...

11-03-2017, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
By the time the K-3 successor comes out I might be able to afford it...
There's starting to be deals on K-Ps, it can't be long now.
11-03-2017, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
There's starting to be deals on K-Ps, it can't be long now.
CP+...(Which is March 1st 2018)
11-03-2017, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #40
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Artesian Quote
I've had mine since 2014. I love it and will wear it out I hope before I'm gone. I'm already old. 71 years old.
Steve
I've had mine 2 years, and plan on keeping it, because I can't afford to upgrade to a newer body. Yes, I'm already old also, 76 years old!
11-03-2017, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

I feel a lot younger now.
11-03-2017, 09:13 AM - 1 Like   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fauxton Quote
I have a K5 I've had for about 5 years now. It has a bit more on it.

I don't see anything I really want to replace either with. My photography hasn't reached the point where either is really lacking.
Similar here, except I have only the K-5, but my answer would be the same if I had the K-3. Saying that, I might change in the future, but for what? What would I be seeking that I don't have now? I've got more than enough camera now.
11-03-2017, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
Similar here, except I have only the K-5, but my answer would be the same if I had the K-3. Saying that, I might change in the future, but for what? What would I be seeking that I don't have now? I've got more than enough camera now.
My wife Tess is the same. She has a K-5, the DR is better than my K-3 we've compared images taken with the same lens with K-1 images, and on a 4k monitor we can't see the difference. Sometimes I wonder if I should get her a K-1. Sometimes I wonder if i should sell the K-1 and get a DFA 150-450.
11-03-2017, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #44
Huy
Forum Member

I'm planning to keep the K-3 as long as possible (3 years, only less than 5000 clicks)
I will look for a replacement camera when 1) My K-50 dies + 2) A new Pentax camera (+ lens) with a big leap in AF system.

Even then, I bet the K-3 is still a great camera.
11-03-2017, 09:43 AM - 1 Like   #45
Veteran Member

I already had a k-3 and like it a lot

I prefer to use multiple cameras rather than changing lenses in the field

so it was k1 versus ?

I finally picked up a k3ii, 300 da* and a 100 macro for about the same as the k1 body
then added a teleconverter to round out my "wildlife" kit
frankly I've been satisfied and don't plan an upgrade unless something breaks