Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2017, 11:36 AM - 1 Like   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm already old, so that takes care of at least part of the question !
As for keeping the K3 "for a long time" ... probably, as I keep all my cameras forever. So the K3 will likely be with me for quite a few years yet.
Comes along a K3 "replacement" and I will certainly upgrade while keeping the K3.

Cheers!

11-03-2017, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #47

My P67,LX and ME Super will go the distance with me...I ventured into Digital with a virtually unused K5ii...loved it immediately and so much that within six months picked up a brand new K3ii to avoid lens changing while on the move or in bad conditions...don't know how long all the circuitry will hold up but will be using them as much as possible while I can...and if they make it all the way along with my film gear then great
11-03-2017, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I'm already old, so that takes care of at least part of the question !
As for keeping the K3 "for a long time" ... probably, as I keep all my cameras forever. So the K3 will likely be with me for quite a few years yet.
Comes along a K3 "replacement" and I will certainly upgrade while keeping the K3.

Cheers!
Already old here too. I use mine as a complement to my K1. My K5 and K5-IIs are mainly relegated to backup status. Unless Pentax manages to come up with an autofocus fiend of a camera I am pretty much set.
11-03-2017, 12:13 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
I finally picked up a k3ii, 300 da* and a 100 macro for about the same as the k1 body then added a teleconverter to round out my "wildlife" kit
Wow... That's the who's-who list of lens envy for me that is way out of reach for the budget... hope you enjoy them!

11-03-2017, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by heinamj Quote
Wow... That's the who's-who list of lens envy for me that is way out of reach for the budget... hope you enjoy them!
the only thing that came close to retail was the converter

as I've said before, a lot of pentax gear sits around waiting and waiting to be purchased
if you find it at the right time you get a bargain(s)
11-03-2017, 01:02 PM - 1 Like   #51
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
. . . . .I finally picked up a k3ii, 300 da* and a 100 macro for about the same as the k1 body
then added a teleconverter to round out my "wildlife" kit
frankly I've been satisfied and don't plan an upgrade unless something breaks
that's the type of deal I would love to see

a K 3 or K 3 II + a battery grip at a good price

then I would get rid of the K 5 II

until then, the K 3 is primary and K 5 II is back up or when I want to instantly change set ups
11-03-2017, 01:43 PM - 1 Like   #52
PDL
Pentaxian

I bought my K-3II late last year since Ricoh did not announce a replacement with equal or greater capabilities. The K-1 was not in the running as my lenses are predominantly APS-C. The deal I got on the body included the grip at no additional cost and for me it was a waste. I have used it twice only to have two batteries since my copy of the K-3II eats batteries pretty quickly. (I have 4 batteries just to be sure to have a charged set when out at about). On my 2 month trip to Central Europe, France and Great Britain it served me well with just over 6K of images taken.

As I am old, retired and living off of my modest investments, this will most likely be the last Pentax camera I will purchase. The K-3II replaced a K20D that I was using since 2008 that was a replacement for my K10D purchased in 2007. My first Pentax camera was a SF-1 which was a replacement for my Fujica ST-801, ST-901 and AZ-1 (purchased in the 70') that were stolen in a burglary in the late 80's. I bought a *ist-Ds in 2005 for a NG workshop and started gathering my set of lenses from that point. (The *ist-Ds, K10D and lenses were returned by the Police 8 months later. The Fujica's and lenses were returned by the Police after sitting for 5 years in a small municipalities Police evidence locker. The only stolen camera of consequence is the SF-1 with a FA f1.4 50mm).

I tend to keep cameras for a long time, I have my late mother's Nikon, Brownie, my late fathers 4x5 monorail and Speedgraphic. I also have my old Olympus XA, my first 35mm Petri rangefinder and a Canon Point and shoot. So yeah, I will grow older with my current camera (I am already old) with no real plans to get a replacement unless something cheap that does everything I need it to do falls from heaven.

11-03-2017, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #53
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
No!
The K3 is a nice camera, but it's not a camera that I will keep for longer than neccessary. There are just too many things that could be better for my use (with the DA560): AF point increase, more consistent AF (even in S-AF I get misses, and it generally is too much prone to focus hesitating). IQ could have a bit more "bite", the K3 is just a bit too soft in its rendering (I liked the K5IIs better). Better high iso and a bit more DR. And for sure, nó mirror flapping, that is just about the most awfull camera behavior I have come across. A tilting back LCD. Better inbody SR (already available with the 5-axis SR of the KP).

There are just too many reasons to upgrade to grow old with the K3....

Chris
11-03-2017, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I recently bought a used K3 with grip off Craigslist with only 755 clicks on it... Needless to say, coming from midrange quality, I love it!

My budget won't support a transition to full frame and I find myself satisfied with the thought of growing old with this K3...

... anyone else planning to stick with yours?
Haven't maxed out the possibilities of my K-3 yet so I will be a while before I am ready for something else. (Had the unit since introduction and have been shooting Pentax since 1963)
11-03-2017, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #55
Pentaxian

I have K-5 and K-3 and both serve me well, but with birthday #65 coming up soon and retirement soon thereafter something has to give! For now it looks like the K-3 will stay but I may trade up the K-5 for a KP. I am really looking for better low light performance and this should do it. Beyond the K-3 and (hopefully) KP I do not see further camera upgrades beyond them. Then again, the retirement present may be the DFA 150-450 for bird photography and in that case both the K-5 and K-3 will carry on with me in old age. Decisions Decisions!

---------- Post added 11-03-17 at 08:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I've had mine 2 years, and plan on keeping it, because I can't afford to upgrade to a newer body. Yes, I'm already old also, 76 years old!
No. you are 76 years young!
11-03-2017, 07:56 PM - 1 Like   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I recently bought a used K3 with grip off Craigslist with only 755 clicks on it... Needless to say, coming from midrange quality, I love it!

My budget won't support a transition to full frame and I find myself satisfied with the thought of growing old with this K3...

... anyone else planning to stick with yours?

Well I have had mine since 2014 and have had no desire to go to any of the more recent models. I'll probably buy the K-3II replacement but won't stop using my trusty K-3!

Larry
11-03-2017, 08:22 PM - 1 Like   #57
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
First one wasn't until after the turn of the new century

No - 1997 - Pentax Forms knows all! Pentax El-C90 - Pentax Compact Digital Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

A whole 0.4 MP !!
11-04-2017, 04:00 PM - 1 Like   #58
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
I have K-5 and K-3 and both serve me well, but with birthday #65 coming up soon and retirement soon thereafter something has to give! For now it looks like the K-3 will stay but I may trade up the K-5 for a KP. I am really looking for better low light performance and this should do it. Beyond the K-3 and (hopefully) KP I do not see further camera upgrades beyond them. Then again, the retirement present may be the DFA 150-450 for bird photography and in that case both the K-5 and K-3 will carry on with me in old age. Decisions Decisions!

---------- Post added 11-03-17 at 08:39 PM ----------

No. you are 76 years young!
I try to believe that!
11-04-2017, 07:38 PM - 2 Likes   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love my K3. I replaced my K20 with it and although I loved my K20, I love the K3 more. I like using the Pentax
16-45 on it. At 75 years old, I don't get that excited about much anymore. But, when I go out on a shoot with
my K3, I get very pleased. My wife says that my having to study the different functions available on the K3 helps
my memory. I don't know why she would say that. I can't recall ever having a memory problem.

Gary
11-05-2017, 06:06 AM - 3 Likes   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Maybe yes, maybe no. Will Pentax release a camera that tempts me to move?

I use the popup flash just often enough in a variety of ways, that I don't want to give it up. At the same time, I use many K-3 features that are not on other Pentax cameras with a popup flash all the time that I am not willing to give them up either. Give me all that plus a camera that is location aware and embeds that data and I will be tempted. As the number of photos increases, being able to reliably search my RAW images across dates by location is attractive.

Full-frame? Very attractive for the increased dynamic range, but not critical. Articulating rear display? Yeah, it would be useful from time to time, but again not critical. How about an inexpensive (not more than US$500) lens and scuba rated underwater case to go with this next camera?