Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 124 Likes Search this Thread
11-12-2020, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Three years after starting this thread I still love my K3 with grip and my budget still can't handle a K1 even used or K3iii... so still growing older.

11-12-2020, 09:47 PM - 1 Like   #137
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In the interest of hiking weight, I have tried my K-3 without its grip. I prefer to suffer the weight for the stability of the larger body+grip.
11-12-2020, 10:27 PM   #138
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
In the interest of hiking weight, I have tried my K-3 without its grip. I prefer to suffer the weight for the stability of the larger body+grip.
Funny you should say that. In early October I had an operation getting a new ball and joint for my right shoulder. I'm stilll finding the K1 and battery grip and my K5 and battery grip too heavy. I've tried my little Ricoh GR ll and equally small Canon G 12...and although very light, still a bit too much at this point. Hopefully before the weather warms up in spring I will be back to my DSLR's although I think I will be removing the battery grips.

Eventually reinstalling as I recuperate. At this point, think I could handle a cell phone, but I'd rather just work on using the GR and G 12.
11-13-2020, 06:28 PM   #139
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I agree, the grip fit in my hand is so good it's worth the weight.

11-15-2020, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #140
Pentaxian

Don't have the option - already 'old' before I got my K3 !!
11-15-2020, 07:12 PM - 1 Like   #141
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
I went from the K10D to K20D to K-5 to the first K-3 in Canada way back when... then I stopped. Now I have two K-3's and they're just fine for me. They always work, and I don't need more. (I tried the K-1 but found it too big, too heavy, and it made my telephotos seem short. )
I went straight from a K10D to a K-3 II. I liked the black K-3 II so much that I bought a second K-3 II (a silver edition). My next camera will be a K-1 II/III. If I win the lottery, I'll get a 645Z for sure. But I still have all my Pentax cameras purchased over four decades (my first one being a K1000), and I don't see ever selling them (giving some away to relatives/friends is a possibility).
11-15-2020, 09:07 PM   #142
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Don't have the option - already 'old' before I got my K3 !!
I hear ya! LOL

01-22-2021, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #143
Forum Member

Had the K-7 for 10 years so I'm planning to get 15 out of this K-3 I got at Xmas. 36k clicks so hoping to use it long into the next decade.
01-22-2021, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #144
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Although I would like to have the GPS function on the K-3 II to more easily locate the images I have taken, I will keep the K-3. It does everything I honestly need.
01-22-2021, 07:42 PM   #145
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Shenloanne Quote
Had the K-7 for 10 years so I'm planning to get 15 out of this K-3 I got at Xmas. 36k clicks so hoping to use it long into the next decade.
There's a lot of life left in that one, and it's built like a tank. Enjoy!
01-23-2021, 10:19 AM   #146
dewolf

yup it ages the same amount I do

67 and this is my first K-3, purchased slightly used for a forum member actually.
Still does what it was designed for and is getting up in shutter clicks.
Aside from the sudden rapid shutter glitch that has not happened in over a year this K-3 keeps me busy
and active getting out into the open air.
Looking into getting a used K-3II if the funds become available.
01-23-2021, 10:24 AM   #147
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dewolf Quote
67 and this is my first K-3, purchased slightly used for a forum member actually.
Still does what it was designed for and is getting up in shutter clicks.
Aside from the sudden rapid shutter glitch that has not happened in over a year this K-3 keeps me busy
and active getting out into the open air.
Looking into getting a used K-3II if the funds become available.
It's looking more and more like I'll be using my K-3 for quite a while.

And similarly a used K-3ii is starting to look quite attractive.

The suspected price point of the new K-3iii is simply unattractive. At that point, so many other options come into play. At that price point a D500 and Sigma 150-600 looks quite attractive, compared to a K-3ii and a 150-450.
01-23-2021, 11:15 AM   #148
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It's looking more and more like I'll be using my K-3 for quite a while.

And similarly a used K-3ii is starting to look quite attractive.

The suspected price point of the new K-3iii is simply unattractive. At that point, so many other options come into play. At that price point a D500 and Sigma 150-600 looks quite attractive, compared to a K-3ii and a 150-450.
Yes, I'm pretty sure that my two K-3 II cameras will be the last APS-C cameras that I'll ever buy, and my K10D still works fine.
My focus is on the K-1 II/III, to buy sometime in the next year or two. I'm eagerly waiting to hear first buyers' experiences and
thoughts with the new K-3 III, but I can't see that it's that much better than the K-3 II to warrant another APS-C camera instead
of my going with the K-1 II/III. And I'm "lensed-out" -- no more lens purchases, maybe ever, with my couple dozen K-mount lenses
(all but two of which are FF lenses -- another reason for going to the K-1). I would love to see what a 36-Mpx sensor would
look like in an APS-C camera for my astrophotography, but short of 36+ Mpx, I'm not interested in ever getting another APS-C camera...
01-23-2021, 12:14 PM   #149
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cometguy Quote
Yes, I'm pretty sure that my two K-3 II cameras will be the last APS-C cameras that I'll ever buy, and my K10D still works fine.
My focus is on the K-1 II/III, to buy sometime in the next year or two. I'm eagerly waiting to hear first buyers' experiences and
thoughts with the new K-3 III, but I can't see that it's that much better than the K-3 II to warrant another APS-C camera instead
of my going with the K-1 II/III. And I'm "lensed-out" -- no more lens purchases, maybe ever, with my couple dozen K-mount lenses
(all but two of which are FF lenses -- another reason for going to the K-1). I would love to see what a 36-Mpx sensor would
look like in an APS-C camera for my astrophotography, but short of 36+ Mpx, I'm not interested in ever getting another APS-C camera...
I love my K-3 for birds and days when the light is sub par (in terms of DR) but on days I'm looking for good landscapes, K-1 all the way. I can't really explain it, it's just the way it is.
01-23-2021, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #150
Pentaxian

I'm very happy with my K-3ii cameras. I've kept hold of the older cameras - K100D/K30/K50 - as backups, and don't think I'll be updating. At well over 70 I can't see me buying anything newer - partly money, but also the K-3ii does everything I want it to do. I'd not say "never", but it's not in any plans. So, yes, I suppose I'm planning to grow older with my cameras.