Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2017, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Albums
M42 Adapter

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi Fellow Pentaxians.

I just bought my first screw mount lens, Asahi Pentax Super Takumar f3.5 135 portrait Lens.
I have a k mount obviously, I need to know why when looking for the adapters on eBay some are just a mount ring and some have what looks like a tool (spanner) / extra bit. which should I get the standalone or the one with an extra bit. and why does the other even have an extra bit ? CONFUESED.
and why are some only £1 pound and some £5 pound?

pros and cons please.

All The Best take care always

11-21-2017, 12:44 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lee Malta Quote
and why does the other even have an extra bit ? CONFUESED.
They are cheaper to make. As a trade-off, you lose infinity focus.

If you plan to make extensive use of M42 lenses, it's worth investing in the Pentax adapter, IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-21-2017, 12:52 PM - 2 Likes   #3

M42 and K have the same flange focal distance, so if you want to focus to infinity you need an adapter that sits flush with the front of the K mount. M42 adapters have a locking spring that keep the adapter in place in the body. The key tool is for turning the adapter to lock it into the body, and for depressing the spring to unlock it and twist it out. The adapters that have a wide flange that sits on top of the K-mount will not offer infinity focus.

If your lens has nice smooth aperture and focus rings, you can often remove the locking spring on a flush-mount adapter, and count on friction to keep the m42 adapter in the body. This lets you keep the adapter on the lens at all times and change between K and M42 lenses more easily. Otherwise, switching mount types is a bit of a chore.

The very cheapest adapters can have bad manufacturing tolerances. A fraction of a millimeter, and you won't get sharp results at infinity. I've had very good results with Pixco brand, which are in the $6-9 US range. I remove the springs and mount them on the lenses I'm going to take out that day. Fotodiox adapters are pretty cheap too and people seem to like those. My "nice" adapter that I leave the spring on for lenses where the friction trick doesn't work (tight Soviet focus rings or preset apertures mostly) is a Kipon and it's perfectly fine but the results aren't any better than the Pixcos.

The Super Tak 135 3.5 is a sweet lens, happy shooting!
11-21-2017, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FYI:

M42-PK adapters - some personal experiences

and there are reviews in Accessories - other camera accsssories - misc, and misc adapters

Last edited by marcusBMG; 11-21-2017 at 01:07 PM.
11-21-2017, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
They are cheaper to make. As a trade-off, you lose infinity focus.

If you plan to make extensive use of M42 lenses, it's worth investing in the Pentax adapter, IMO.
A couple of points worth noting:

(1) Some vintage lenses, such as the Helios 44-2, Industar-50-2 and others, don't cover the electrical contacts on the camera's mount, nor do they cover the cut-out areas of the flush-fitting adapters (such as the official Pentax M42 adapter). That allows dust and dirt onto the contacts, but - more importantly - can lead to light leaks and dust ingress through the cut-outs. If I'm using a lens where this is a problem, I'll often choose to use a good quality Kipon flanged adapter (so long as I don't need long-distance focusing).

(2) The original Pentax M42-to-K adapter is great quality, but becoming harder to find, and isn't usually cheap. I have one, but I actually prefer the Kipon version. It's excellent quality, nicely finished, and has an inner flange that protects the SDM contacts inside the camera. This is useful if you're fitting a lens with a long and sharp-ended aperture pin, which can otherwise scratch those SDM contacts when fitting and removing the lens.

My recommendation would be to buy both a flush-fitting AND a flanged adapter (both good quality models such as Kipon)...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-21-2017 at 01:12 PM.
11-21-2017, 02:48 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
The original Pentax M42-to-K adapter is great quality, but becoming harder to find, and isn't usually cheap.
It looks like you can buy it from B&H, but it definitely isn't cheap.
11-21-2017, 03:50 PM   #7

If by the extra bit you mean the little tool it is because the cheaper ones aren't made with the same levels of tolerance as the Pentax branded ones and you need the tool because the fit can be quite snug.

I've only read good reviews about the adapter that SRB Photographic in the UK sells:
M42 Lens to Pentax K Camera Adaptor | SRB-Photographic.co.uk

11-21-2017, 03:52 PM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I've only read good reviews about the adapter that SRB Photographic in the UK sells
I forgot, but I have that one too, and yes - it's very good. Almost identical, in fact, to the Pentax model in fit and finish
11-23-2017, 12:20 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the sound advice, Pictured is the culprit for this post in the first place,
Just 1 last thing to are Samsung lenses K mount and if so Any good ?
Attached Images

01-02-2018, 03:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Most Samyang lenses is found in many mounts, including K-mount.
SRS have all? of them: Samyang Pentax Fit Lenses | SRS Microsystems
Reviews: https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/samyang-prime-lenses-c114.html
01-02-2018, 07:26 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You might get a bargain adapter but you might also get "what you paid for" as in "buy cheap, buy twice".
I bought a cheap adapter with a tool (to insert it into and remove it from the camera mount) and I could feel the adapter cutting into the camera casing.
I went out and bought a Pentax branded adapter 2nd hand and it fits and removes with a fingernail, sweet as you like.
I also bought a flanged adapter as well, this covers the camera contacts but does lead to a reduced range from a lens, most no longer focussing to infinity. Not Pentax branded but it fits nicely so I was lucky there.