Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2017, 10:29 AM   #1

New to DSLR, need basic lens lists

Hi

I am newbie to use DSLR, wanted to know if any basic lenses i need to buy, also as i see we need to change camera settings based on what we are capturing, is there any website which can provide settings for various kind of captures.

12-07-2017, 10:55 AM   #2
Pentaxian

It might help others to reply if you state whether you have already acquired a DSLR and lens(es) and, if so, which?
12-07-2017, 10:56 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In general you are better off getting a nice zoom, like the 18-55 kit lens and learning on that. Only after you have taken a good number of photos and determined what style you like to shoot would it be prudent to invest in a lot of different lenses. You can spend a lot of money on lenses for focal lengths that you do not like to shoot at and the money is wasted.

What camera are getting? For APS-C the 18-55 kit lens is a fine starter or you could try the DA 16-85 or the DA 18-135. If you are going full frame with the K-1 then the DFA 28-105 is a good start.

Once you have some experience you can start looking into other zoom lenses or select prime lenses that suit your shooting style.
12-07-2017, 11:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi, welcome!
The Pentax Forums main page has "recommended camera settings" for most Pentax cameras, you just have to search for the article.
Want more lenses? Consider the following:
a) What lenses do you already have? Better to buy different lenses than to buy many of the same
b) What do you want to photograph? If you want to do macro photos, you probably need macro lens. If you want indoor photography, you probably want wide angle. If you want to do portraits, you need a 55mm - 135mm lens with fast aperture. Or maybe you need a travel zoom lens with wide range, like DA 18-135mm.
c) Are you just looking for different, fun things? In this case, you can buy old lenses like Pentax A series, F series and many other older lenses, like Helios 44K.

Most people who buy Pentax DSLR and it comes with DA 18-55mm. The next lenses they buy are DA 50mm f1.8 and DA 35mm f2.4. These two are better than the kit lens, sharp and great lenses at a low price! But they do not have zoom. Only one Field of view.
The DA 18-135mm is very popular zoom lens and it is better than the 18-55mm. Gives you range and some good features

12-07-2017, 11:06 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sage advice to get used to the camera and basic zoom first, then decide what you want to do better, and how various lenses might help. That will also let you look at what other people are doing, and how they're doing it.

I like TAv mode for general use. Set the aperture with the back wheel and adjust shutter speed with the front, allowing you to balance your risk of noise with your use of shutter speed based on what you're trying to do.
12-07-2017, 12:19 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by srinivasmd Quote
Hi

I am newbie to use DSLR, wanted to know if any basic lenses i need to buy, also as i see we need to change camera settings based on what we are capturing, is there any website which can provide settings for various kind of captures.
This article will help you understand the basic controls:

The Fundamentals of Exposure - Introduction - In-Depth Articles

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-07-2017, 03:43 PM   #7
Pentaxian

If you want to know about camera settings, how they work, and their effect on the image, you can have fun and learn by playing around with this:

Free DSLR Camera Simulator | CameraSim

First scroll down the page for information; then scroll back up to the simulator; adjust the sliders and take the photo; repeat with different settings.

12-07-2017, 04:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I concur the DA 18-55 is a great place to start and and if you want to add something like a DA 50-200 you'll have a pretty decent general purpose kit that won't break the bank. That said, I agree that it would be wise for your wallet to spend some quality time with that lens and get to know its capabilities and limitations, as well as the features and functions of your camera. This will help you figure out what your needs are so that when you're ready, you can make the right gear purchases to fit your needs.
12-08-2017, 12:16 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sage advice above, and until you discover your 'style' or interests, starting with either a 18-55mm or any two lens kit that includes a 50-200mm, makes the most sense. I'm "old school" which says start even more basic with a 35mm prime and zoom with your legs.

Here's a short video that helps to explain various focal lengths and how they may apply to your interests:
12-08-2017, 02:54 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi srinivasmd. Congratulations on your K-3 II - it is a superb camera, but the number of advanced features may be a little daunting for a DSLR beginner.

I presume you already have at least one lens. It would helpful to know what it is, and what sort of things you are interesting in photographing. Pentax has a fantastic range of lenses for APS-C cameras - arguably the best of any brand. I agree that the DA18-135 would be a great all-rounder to start with.