Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-10-2017, 01:42 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
FPS not 8.3 when in Auto Focus Continuous?

Dear all,

Hope you could help me. Bit of a bother here. I have a K3 and I know its 8.3fps speed but today when I put it on Auto Focus Continuous and pressed the shutter, it was slow and definitely not 8.3fps. Am I missing anything?

Shooting in AF.S is fine.

I thought I would get 8.3fps on both AF modes. AF.S and AF.C.

Any advice would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Navin

12-10-2017, 01:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Focussing takes time.
12-10-2017, 01:47 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The default setting for AF.C is focus priority. You can change it to FPS priority in custom menu 17.
12-10-2017, 01:49 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The default setting for AF.C is focus priority. You can change it to FPS priority in custom menu 17.
Thanks Boriscleto. Even after changing it to release priority I get the same. In fact, I also bought a new K3II and find the same issue.

---------- Post added 12-10-17 at 02:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Focussing takes time.
Thanks for the reply Sandy. With AF.C the focus is locked. I am only using a single point focussing and the fps is struggling even after locking focus. I should say I am indoors and I was setting up my gear for tomorrow and I just wanted to test if everything worked. I have read in this post something similar (Max. continuous FPS slower with manual glass? - PentaxForums.com) and I am wondering is this is only because I am shooting indoors? I got this issue even under the correct exposure and metering.

What concerns me if this is really a limitation on the camera (not jumping into conclusions yet) and when I shoot birds in flight I will have to use AF.C and this could be difficult without the claimed 8 fps.

Thanks again

---------- Post added 12-10-17 at 02:25 PM ----------

I tried both the DA*300 F4 and 50mm F1.8 and both do the same

---------- Post added 12-10-17 at 02:26 PM ----------

It struggles even in JPEG mode with AF.C

12-10-2017, 02:56 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What is your shutter speed? Slower shutter speeds indoor will slow the camera down.
12-10-2017, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by tikku Quote
Dear all,

Hope you could help me. Bit of a bother here. I have a K3 and I know its 8.3fps speed but today when I put it on Auto Focus Continuous and pressed the shutter, it was slow and definitely not 8.3fps. Am I missing anything?

Shooting in AF.S is fine.

I thought I would get 8.3fps on both AF modes. AF.S and AF.C.

Any advice would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Navin
I don't think you will ever reach the maximum framerate in continuous AF mode, since the camera needs some time to process and perhaps re-focus between shots. I'll come close but won't be the full 8.3.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-10-2017, 02:59 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What was the shutter speed ?

12-10-2017, 03:05 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
What was the shutter speed ?
tried 1/1250 till 1/4000

---------- Post added 12-10-17 at 03:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I don't think you will ever reach the maximum framerate in continuous AF mode, since the camera needs some time to process and perhaps re-focus between shots. I'll come close but won't be the full 8.3.
Thanks Adam. I have come to terms with my camera that it won't shoot 8.3FPS in AF.C. But what is interesting is, why would someone need 8.3FPS on AF.S (I guess that's not for moving subjects). For me especially I like to shoot a lot of action especially Birds in Flight and I would need AF.C for continuous movement and sad to know that I won't be able to achieve that. The other option I am thinking of is to use AF button for focussing and use the shutter button only for shutter release and keeping the AF mode in AF.S thereby I can achieve 8.3fps but not sure if AF.S would track movement.
12-10-2017, 03:51 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tikku Quote
why would someone need 8.3FPS on AF.S (I guess that's not for moving subjects).
Depends what you mean by moving

It is also useful for group portraits, where catching everyone with a suitable expression and not blinking can be tricky. Also with live music and some sports where there may lots of sideways movement but not much fore and aft. The same can also apply to birds in flight.

12-10-2017, 05:31 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I would try back button focus, it may help.

And they say 8.3 fps but they never claimed 8.3 in focus fps.
12-10-2017, 06:30 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Pentax doesn't do tracking, but it's faster than anyone at focus confirm. So you get close to 8 FPS with focus confirmation on if your subject doesn't move. Njokn and Canon are better. Their AF system seems to be cfocussing the next shot while processing the last one so you're ready to go when the shutter has reset. Pentax doesn't seem to have figured that out yet. I've head from Nikon guys, they still get maximum FPS when tracking.
12-10-2017, 06:48 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know if you're aware of this, so I'll mention it just in case you're not. Turning off the processor consuming in-camera algorithms such as D-Range Settings, Noise Reduction, Clarity, Skin Tone, Digital Filter, and Lens Corrections probably will help maximize your rapid fire rate. I leave those things shut off since I shoot RAW only and perform all those tasks as/if needed during post processing on my PC. Perhaps turning off the horizon correction would also help. If you're shooting moving objects to the point where you're panning the camera, I'd recommend you shut off the shake reduction also.
My 2 cents...
Daryl
12-11-2017, 12:13 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree with Daryl, Navin, if you're shooting RAW then turn off the in-camera processing. Lens corrections in particular slow down the frame rate. This should get you pretty close to where you want to be. You can pan the K-3II without turning SR off, which is different to the K-3. Use back button focus too, so that you can focus initially and then not have the camera attempt to refocus between each shot - not easy at max fps!
12-11-2017, 12:41 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Depends what you mean by moving

It is also useful for group portraits, where catching everyone with a suitable expression and not blinking can be tricky. Also with live music and some sports where there may lots of sideways movement but not much fore and aft. The same can also apply to birds in flight.
Thanks Sandy for the reply. Awesome shots!!The one with the Bow and Arrow is really great. I agree, I didn't think that way of using AF.S for subjects like these and it makes very good sense.

---------- Post added 12-11-17 at 12:59 AM ----------

Thanks all for your replies and kind suggestions. Honestly I have been having a scrambled brain the last three weeks. Bit of a background; in 2014, we purchased a K3 and my partner used it all along and I then bought a K10D to accompany. Great camera and because K10D isn't as quick as K3 I used it well knowing its limitations. I had a lot of fun using great manual focus lens and enjoyed manual focusing and pictures were really good. It all went fine until my partner started saying that majority of shots of birds in flight were not in focus and I then googled it and it opened a can of worms. I read a lot of posts mentioning the autofocus speed of Pentax cameras and how canon and Nikon were better. I was happy with Pentax but then wanted give my partner that would suit her interests. Now I wanted to put that the AF to test and therefore bought a Nikon D300 second hand from eBay with a Nikon VR 70-300 lens. This camera can shoot 6PS in auto focus continuous in 3D tracking. Took it to a nature reserve to photograph short eared owls. The Nikon D300 shot 6fps in AF.C all along but then when I increased the colour bit to 14 instead of 12, the fps speed dropped significantly down to 2.5. I didn't know that and I was bit disappointed. Now the gear addiction got into my head and therefore I sold the Nikon lens and camera on eBay and bought a Pentax K3ii for myself. So happy with the camera and took it to the same nature reserve to photograph owls only to realise that it didn't do the maximum fps but the focus tracking was spot on and I am happy with it. Anyways, its all my own ignorance of how cameras work in AF.C and I assumed 8.3fps will be the same for all modes which is not the case and it is with all brands. It's like broadband speed where they say upto 50mb speed but thats due to vary with a lot of other things lol.
12-11-2017, 01:45 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's all a learning curve, you'll get there. Glad to hear that you're happy with the K-3II's AF tracking, I get on well with it too.