Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
12-25-2017, 05:15 PM - 2 Likes   #16

Photos: Albums
Wait.

If the K-3/3ii replacement is released next year you will have more options, and then lower prices for the K-3 and K-3ii.

Until then, you have an excellent camera with the K-5.

12-25-2017, 05:29 PM - 1 Like   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ronniemac Quote
Wait.

If the K-3/3ii replacement is released next year you will have more options, and then lower prices for the K-3 and K-3ii.

Until then, you have an excellent camera with the K-5.
join the crowd who have been waiting for the anticipated new model since at least 2016
12-25-2017, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by ShaunW Quote
Currently I have a K-5. I would like to purchase a new camera. I would mainly purchase a K-3 for the increased resolution. I am looking at a used one for around $500. Would this be a significant upgrade? Would the K-3 II be a better deal if I am paying $200-$300 more for a new one? Also rumors for the "K-3 III" have resurfaced. Would it be wiser to wait for its release? If the K-3 is a worthy upgrade with noticeable improvements in performance, it should be good enough.
The increase is image quality is substantial; you can check our review for comparisons with the K-5:

Pentax K-3 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

I wouldn't spend extra on the K-3 II, nor would I give any specific rumors any credibility at this time. Surely a replacement is on its way, but it won't be in this price range.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-25-2017, 06:39 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

If you have the available funds, go and get the K-3 now. For reasons others have stated above, you will not be disappointed. More importantly, think laterally - there are all sorts of possible reasons why tomorrow might never come.

Philip

12-25-2017, 08:40 PM   #20

Have you considered the K70? I am not sure of the prices in your area but here in Japan a new k70 is cheaper than a secondhand k3ii. If resolution is what you are after this could be the way to go.
12-25-2017, 09:39 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Before I bought the K3 I looked at the K70 and KP. One of the deciding factors for me was being able to utilize the 3 batteries I already had for my K5. The combination of the K5 and K3 work great together. I would still like a KP, but will probably add a K3II or K1 for pixel shift and still being able to keep the same battery.

It’s another aspect to consider.
12-26-2017, 01:07 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ShaunW Quote
Currently I have a K-5. I would like to purchase a new camera. I would mainly purchase a K-3 for the increased resolution.
Don't do that just for the mpx count. Purchase the k3 because it's a newer camera with better operating performance, better AF, better SR,same level of tropicalization. But for what I understand 16 mpx generation of sensor is sooooo good that you'll find a lowering in DR and Iso performance from k5 to k3. So consider that if you're not Printing BIG and I mean BIG (!!) the difference in resolution is visible just 100% at pixel level at a monitor. What's visible is the improvement in the operating performace,as AF.
My 2 cents.

12-26-2017, 02:11 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Yes! But I wouldn't recommend the K-3II over the K-3 unless you will make serious use of pixel-shift.
&/OR you need the better AF algorithm because it the K-3 II certainly locks on quicker (like a "rocket" with the Sigma 100-300 F4!) but, of course, the follow-on tracking "ain't so good" if the target is moving towards/away from you ( ).

PS: it should also be remembered that the K-3 & K-3 II have a much stronger & faster screwdrive motor than the K-5/K-30 (and thus presumably the K50 /K-70 and maybe the K-P).

Last edited by jeallen01; 12-26-2017 at 02:47 PM.
12-26-2017, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #24
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

an option available to the OP since he lives in the US

rent either the K 3 or K 3 II ( or both ) and he could do his own testing and have his own experiences

I have had good results with LensRental.com and there are other rental companies

true, this will cost some $$ but

it is an option
12-26-2017, 10:38 PM - 1 Like   #25
rjm
Forum Member

To affirm what bm75 said, the last reason to move to a K-3 is the increase in resolution.

Normally you change cameras when you become dissatisfied with the old one, but the K-5 is good enough that you may not see the flaws unless you shoot with multiple dSLRs and can easily compare.

The basic problem with the K-5 is it is dog slow. It is the opposite of "responsive" as defined by 2017 standards. The autofocus and the camera menus and, critically, the buffer throughput and image review. If your K-5 does not seem slow to you, you can live blissfully ignorant and save your money, or you can go buy the K-3 on blind trust and have that "ah ha" moment the first time you take it out.

I also think the colors of the K-3 are more realistic, and the K-3ii better still, but this is subjective.

Also, the grip has improved. This is not subjective.

The K-3 is not a fast camera, the AF is still Pentax-level, but it is far better camera overall than the K-5.