Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2018, 03:22 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3 irregular shots in timelapse mode

It sometimes just stalls, missing shots or stopping altogether. 110,000+ shots, maybe it is just wearing out?

01-13-2018, 04:00 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Could be the shutter, but what about a bad cards or an incorrectly configured interval?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-13-2018, 04:00 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Could it be power-related? I usually use an AC adapter for time lapse. Outdoors, the cold batteries can be unreliable.
01-13-2018, 04:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
card buffer not clearing in time, maybe?

01-13-2018, 04:23 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My bet is on it starting to fail.
After that many shots I seriously doubt an operator error due to unfamiliarity with the equipment.
01-13-2018, 06:47 PM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by amycramer Quote
It sometimes just stalls, missing shots or stopping altogether. 110,000+ shots, maybe it is just wearing out?
Is there any chance the camera might have detected a runaway mirror condition and aborted the exposure and/or sequence? In the early days of the K-3 there were multiple reports of "runaway" mirror where the mirror would cycle non-stop until the battery was pulled. Interval shooting was a common case for when the behavior would surface. The issue was eventually addressed in late Summer, 2014 and repair was offered for effected cameras. A firmware update (v1.11) was also issued that was intended to detect the condition and abort the exposure to avoid damage to the mirror mechanism in cameras having the weakness, but had not been repaired. Actual behavior of the firmware solution has been a bit of a mystery since in theory it would leave little or no evidence it had been invoked other than a missing frame in a known sequence.

When was your K-3 made?

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-13-2018 at 06:53 PM.
01-15-2018, 09:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Is there any chance the camera might have detected a runaway mirror condition and aborted the exposure and/or sequence? In the early days of the K-3 there were multiple reports of "runaway" mirror where the mirror would cycle non-stop until the battery was pulled. Interval shooting was a common case for when the behavior would surface. The issue was eventually addressed in late Summer, 2014 and repair was offered for effected cameras. A firmware update (v1.11) was also issued that was intended to detect the condition and abort the exposure to avoid damage to the mirror mechanism in cameras having the weakness, but had not been repaired. Actual behavior of the firmware solution has been a bit of a mystery since in theory it would leave little or no evidence it had been invoked other than a missing frame in a known sequence.

When was your K-3 made?

Steve
mine was produced in the middle of 2015, and yet I occasionally run into runaway mirror flaping... I believe Pentax did not 100 %, solved this problem on later units

Last edited by panonski; 01-15-2018 at 09:43 AM.
01-15-2018, 10:34 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
mine was produced in the middle of 2015, and yet I occasionally run into runaway mirror flaping... I believe Pentax did not 100 %, solved this problem on later units
I am surprised that your 2015 camera would have this problem, if for no other reason than firmware higher than 1.11 should mask the problem with no runaway even on affected cameras. It is possible this is being caused by other than the known problem with early copies.* Did you mention it when your camera was being repaired for water damage?

Steve

* The fix for the runaway mirror problem was a low-level reflash of the mirror component with updated firmware. This required a service visit, unfortunately, but no parts replacement.

01-15-2018, 01:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

* The fix for the runaway mirror problem was a low-level reflash of the mirror component with updated firmware. This required a service visit, unfortunately, but no parts replacement.
hmmmm, didn't know for that till now - tnx !

I am surprised that your 2015 camera would have this problem, if for no other reason than firmware higher than 1.11 should mask the problem with no runaway even on affected cameras. It is possible this is being caused by other than the known problem with early copies.* Did you mention it when your camera was being repaired for water damage?
I was experience mirror flapping just twice during my 2 years with K3. In both times it happened in the middle of shooting, I was not so worried, specially second time, because I learned it was a "one time thing" - and my quickly turning off the camera, stop it.
I didn't bother a service man with that, because I forgot, and secondly, I was bit in a worry - would repair center - accept warranty in my case - because the salt water make visible green electrolysis marks inside - making the damage hard to accept...
Luckily,
the repair man was good fellow - and he did it all for free, accepting my warranty.

Last edited by panonski; 01-17-2018 at 04:23 AM.
01-17-2018, 11:48 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone, I have tried all you suggested in the last year. I think it is just wearing out. Getting an estimate on repair, might have to bite the bullet and invest in new camera.
01-21-2018, 06:39 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
One other possibility for irregular interval shooting - are you using a fixed manual exposure or auto-exposure? If auto-exposure and the scene is getting darker, it could be the exposure length is exceeding your interval period. And yes, as previously suggested, I always use external power for anything other than very short interval shooting.