Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2018, 04:05 PM   #1

AF 500ftz flash

Can I use my 500ftz flash on my K-3? I've heard there may be voltage issues with older flashes.

01-13-2018, 04:09 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There should be no voltage issues with Pentax branded flashes, and that one will definitely work.

However note that it is not a P-TTL flash, so you will be shooting in either manual or "auto" mode with it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-13-2018, 04:58 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ditto. I've used my AF500FTZ on my K-1 and it works fine except that the camera will not control its auto mode so basically, you're best off shooting manual with it, dialing in the flash power desired.
01-13-2018, 06:18 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There should ne no voltage issues with Pentax branded flashes, and that one will definitely work.

However note that it is not a P-TTL flash, so you will be shooting in either manual or "auto" mode with it.
Thatís good to know. Thanks for your quick reply

01-13-2018, 06:23 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Ditto. I've used my AF500FTZ on my K-1 and it works fine except that the camera will not control its auto mode so basically, you're best off shooting manual with it, dialing in the flash power desired.
Thanks Bob. Much appreciated.
01-13-2018, 07:01 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The AF500FTZ does not support "auto" flash except for "TTL Auto". So that leaves manual with limited dedication as the sole mode on the K-3.

Steve