Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
01-31-2018, 11:53 PM   #1

Why is the battery life of the K-3 lower than the K-5?

K-5 & K-5 II battery life: 980 shots
K-3 & K-3 II battery life: 720 shots without flash

Anybody know why the battery life went down so much between camera generations from K-5 to K-3?

02-01-2018, 12:08 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbeley Quote
K-5 & K-5 II battery life: 980 shots
K-3 & K-3 II battery life: 720 shots without flash

Anybody know why the battery life went down so much between camera generations from K-5 to K-3?
Based on the specs in our DB, the K-5 is 740 while the K-3 II is 760. In any case, in practice they are very similar, since both use the same battery.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-01-2018, 12:14 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Based on the specs in our DB, the K-5 is 740 while the K-3 is 760. In any case, in practice they are very similar, since both use the same battery.
My source is the horse's mouth.

See:
Specifications?K-3 | RICOH IMAGING
and
K-5II / K-5IIs | RICOH IMAGING

K-3 II is presumably the same as the K-3, but they just list the number without the use of the flash: Specifications? PENTAX K-3 II | RICOH IMAGING

Last edited by Gimbeley; 02-01-2018 at 12:41 AM.
02-01-2018, 01:45 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
My source is the horse's mouth.

See:
Specifications?K-3 | RICOH IMAGING
and
K-5II / K-5IIs | RICOH IMAGING

K-3 II is presumably the same as the K-3, but they just list the number without the use of the flash: Specifications? PENTAX K-3 II | RICOH IMAGING
There must be something wrong in the K3 specification. It seem the used the CIPA standard test (50% flash) as the one without flash.

The K3II battery life is according to CIPA standard which is with 50% flash, and is similar to K5II battery life tested the same way.

02-01-2018, 01:49 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hereʻs another source that confirms significantly longer battery life with the K-5 vs. K-3:
Pentax K-5 vs Pentax K-3 Detailed Comparison
or K-5II vs. K-3II:
Pentax K-5 II vs Pentax K-3 II Detailed Comparison

IDK....but common sense includes greater power drain due to:
a) 24MP vs. 16MP (every pixel draws energy)
b) Faster fps = more powerful motor
c) Larger LCD review screen
d) Higher max ISO which probably requires greater signal draw
e) More ports like audio and two SD slots
f) More AF points and faster AF
g) And in the case of comparing the II models, astrotracer, pixel shift, and gps.
h) USB 3.0 vs. USB 2.0 (I love USB 3 speed, but it does take a big draw of power)

I donʻt know to what extent these are parasitic drains, but cumulatively, I can see where it all adds up.
02-01-2018, 01:56 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
There must be something wrong in the K3 specification. It seem the used the CIPA standard test (50% flash) as the one without flash.

The K3II battery life is according to CIPA standard which is with 50% flash, and is similar to K5II battery life tested the same way.
Did you even open the links? The numbers are directly comparable.
02-01-2018, 02:07 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Did you even open the links? The numbers are directly comparable.
Yes,

K3II: CIPA standard (50% flash): 720 images
K5II: With 50% flash (CIPA standard): 760 images

K3: 720 images (which is stated to be without flash) But the test battery life on K3 also refer to CIPA standard.
Why would K3 have much less battery life than K3II?

Battery life for playback is the same on K3/K3II with 370 min, and 440 min on K5II.

This is the description of the CIPA standard battery test.
"The Camera and Imaging Products Association (CIPA) succeeded in developing a standardized battery-life test for digital cameras. Under the test scheme, the camera takes a photo every 30 seconds, half with flash and the other without. The test zooms the lens in and out all the way before every shot and leaves the screen on. After every 10 shots, the camera is turned off for a while and the cycle is repeated. CIPA ratings replicate a realistic way a consumer would use a camera. Most new cameras adapt the CIPA protocol to rate the runtime."

Last edited by Fogel70; 02-01-2018 at 02:15 AM.
02-01-2018, 02:13 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K3II: CIPA standard (50% flash): 720 images
K5II: With 50% flash (CIPA standard): 760 images
How can they use this standard if the K3II doesnʻt have a built-in flash?
02-01-2018, 02:21 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
How can they use this standard if the K3II doesnʻt have a built-in flash?
Haha, that is true, then it can not be tested according to CIPA standard, and the specification on K3II is wrong.

So K3/K3II might have worse battery life than K1.

Last edited by Fogel70; 02-01-2018 at 02:32 AM.
02-01-2018, 02:57 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So K3/K3II might have worse battery life than K1.
Itʻs about the same, but the K-1 has a slightly better shots per battery charge.

On one hand, actual battery life is going to depend on lots of factors including use of LiveView, reviewing, AF, ambient temperature, SR, etc.

But in the big scheme of things, because a spare battery is relatively cheap, and I often prefer a battery grip for balance and extra power, even the K-P is fine to me for the expected shots per charge. Itʻs not like buying an electric car where not having the range before recharging can be a deal breaker for many drivers.

The only camera Iʻve ever owned where battery life was an issue was the Olympus E-10. It used disposable batteries and was good for about 10 minutes or 100 shots; whichever came first. Great Zuiko zoom lens but horrible electronics. Woof.
02-01-2018, 03:58 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I agree, battery life is hardly a problem on any DSLR.
IMO Pentax battery meter is a bigger problem, where it can go from "fully charged" to depleted within a few shots.

On cameras that show battery charge in percent it is much easier to monitor battery status.
02-01-2018, 07:19 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree, battery life is hardly a problem on any DSLR.
IMO Pentax battery meter is a bigger problem, where it can go from "fully charged" to depleted within a few shots.

On cameras that show battery charge in percent it is much easier to monitor battery status.
That hasn't been my experience. Granted all lithium ion batteries are very difficult to gauge as they decline rapidly towards the end of the usable voltage. However my experience with my k-3 is that the indicators are pretty good and I can shoot for quite a while after the battery is showing some depletion.
02-01-2018, 08:28 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Given the more powertul features of the more recent cameras, it's good that the same battery still gives so many shots per charge, and that's probably due to more efficient electronics in later models.
02-01-2018, 08:59 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Regardless of the numbers or comparisons, when I got my K-3II (as an upgrade from a K-50) I purchased 2 spare batteries like I had needed with my old body. Since then I have hardly ever managed to deplete even one of them in a day. When I did, it was because of excessive spraying-and-praying.

They will probably be useful on a hike away from power for a few days, but so far the spares feel like wasted cash. I often go a week of shooting every day before recharging.
02-01-2018, 09:34 AM   #15

According to the standards: http://www.cipa.jp/std/documents/e/DC-002_e.pdf
2.1 Prerequisites
c)if the camera to be measured is not equipped with some of the functions whose test conditions are defined in this standard, such measurement items can be ignored.
1. The measurement condition of the standard procedure defined in the following clauses (2) and up in this chapter.
2. Functional parameters not listed here shall be identical to the default setting at the factory.
3. If any parameter cannot be defined by the default settings at the factory, such parameters shall be what the manufacturer assumes will most likely be employed by the users of the relevant cameras.
So the flash on test measurements are ignored. Can one conclude GPS is turned off on the K-3ii tests?