Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2018, 02:18 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Classic mirror-flop (as opposed to the runaway mirror issue in early-production K-3) has been associated with low transient voltage under load due to a defective battery. The K-3 is not the only body where this happens.
Thank you, Steve,

I was not aware of a battery can cause the runaway mirror-flop. I am rotate using 3 batteries including the bad one. Now, it's time to stop using the bad one for good. Thank you again for let me know this.

02-05-2018, 03:11 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My complaints go to, as mentioned in previous posts,

- 1 ) yes, focus magnifier is to short in time, and yes, I often must double press it, to finish manual focusing.

- 2 ) Ricoh brand - BOY, THAT MADE ME LAUGH - lol - pERSONALLY I don't mind for RICOH printed brand in the back. Mine got one too.

- 3 ) On OFF Live View Screen - YES, it should be easier way to turn it off
- 4 ) STIFF CAMERA ON OFF BUTTON - Sometimes it seems a little bit stuck, sometimes is smooth

- 5 ) No, 4:3 , and no 1:1 ( at least ) frame setting - I would love to see option in menu for 4:3 - or 1:1 , because, after in post processing would be easier to make right balanced frame - I know it would be hard to get that in OVF, but in LCD Live View, could be possible...

- 6 ) MISSFOCUSING. - Yes, I already see that, with optical superb lenses. Like someone sad, you cannot see that right away, only when magnifeid your picture in Play mode, or at home - I dont't trust the focus too much

- 7 ) POSTPROCESSING FROM CAMERA MENU - If anyone tried that - it's a piece of rubish. shame

- 8 ) NO FILTER BRACKETING .- sometimes I would love to take BW and Color shoot right away, and straight from camera

- 9 ) Flash - Missing 2 CURTAIN settings - When shooting with M mode, and your flash is in M mode, there is no setting to trigger your flash when the shutter begining to closing down. With lower shutter speeds, like 1/10 , you can get interested moving in live atmosphere from concert, or party somewhere... People would loook like dancing and moving, but yet with flash fired at 2 curtain, it will freeze their faces , and you would get the perferct shoot, with captured movement, and clean and sharp bodies ... I discover that on Oly, but on K3 is missing...
There is similar option to that one, it's called 2 trail, but it work only in AUTO mode, and you cannot nail it right

- 10 ) Heavy camera.

Last edited by panonski; 02-05-2018 at 09:19 AM.
02-05-2018, 05:25 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is not the K-3II.
02-05-2018, 12:39 PM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
- 1 ) yes, focus magnifier is to short in time, and yes, I often must double press it, to finish manual focusing.
I regularly use magnified live view for manual focus and just left my K-3 in magnified live view for 5 minutes without it canceling. Is there any chance that the shutter release was being bumped or that there might be a problem with the camera?

- 3 ) On OFF Live View Screen - YES, it should be easier way to turn it off
Easier than pushing the red button?

- 4 ) STIFF CAMERA ON OFF BUTTON - Sometimes it seems a little bit stuck, sometimes is smooth
Avoid spilling sugary drinks on the camera? Seriously, though, I don't believe this is typical for the K-3.

- 5 ) No, 4:3 , and no 1:1 ( at least ) frame setting - I would love to see option in menu for 4:3 - or 1:1 , because, after in post processing would be easier to make right balanced frame - I know it would be hard to get that in OVF, but in LCD Live View, could be possible...
I sometimes apply different frame masks in Lightroom as a batch operation using the "Quick Develop" feature for easy crop to 4:3 or letterbox for video projection. Easy peasy. FWIW, I have only done this on a handful of images in the four years of K-3 ownership.

As for it being a weakness in the camera, I might be a nice feature for some users, but not typical for market segment in 2013.

- 7 ) POSTPROCESSING FROM CAMERA MENU - If anyone tried that - it's a piece of rubish. shame

- 8 ) NO FILTER BRACKETING .- sometimes I would love to take BW and Color shoot right away, and straight from camera
In camera editing is a pain, regardless of brand/model. In 2013, the feature was essentially equivalent to that in the D7100, though on that camera retouching required a deep menu dive and was not directly available from playback.

As for switching back and forth from B&W and Color for JPEG capture, the monochrome custom image setting may be set for one of the three User modes.

- 9 ) Flash - Missing 2 CURTAIN settings...(flash in M mode)
This would be a nice feature to have with dedicated flash. I don't know that any of the K-3's competition in 2013 offered this feature. At issue is coordinating flash duration with curtain speed and aperture. Full power requires sync before time of second curtain travel and/or narrower aperture. Both are much easier with some form of TTL flash.

With the K-3, 2nd curtain sync is available in all exposure modes except "green" and "X" and as both master and controller. It is possible to hack 2nd-curtain sync when using off-camera speedlights, but the results may be unpredictable.*

- 10 ) Heavy camera.
Nikon D7100: 765gm with battery and memory cards
Pentax K-3: 800gm with battery and memory cards

Perhaps features such as IBIS, PC sync, and IR remote might account for those 35 grams?

Steve

* The built-in flash in slow trailing curtain mode is used to trigger an off-camera speedlight set to ignore the P-TTL pulse and sync off the main flash. Contribution from the on-camera flash may be moderated by setting it to lower power and/or using a deflector.

02-06-2018, 02:06 AM   #35
Pentaxian

The main thing I'd fault with the K3's in-camera RAW processing is the inability to push/pull at anything other than full stops. My little Fuji X-M1 can push and pull in 1/3 stop increments, which is very useful.
02-06-2018, 03:03 AM   #36
Pentaxian

I regularly use magnified live view for manual focus and just left my K-3 in magnified live view for 5 minutes without it canceling. Is there any chance that the shutter release was being bumped or that there might be a problem with the camera?
Hm...
I'm gone check that

Easier than pushing the red button?
I WAS THINKING ON TURNING OFF LCD SCREEN COMPLETELY, WHEN YOU'RE IN OVF MODE

Avoid spilling sugary drinks on the camera? Seriously, though, I don't believe this is typical for the K-3.
no, that's certainly not true - I've seen statemenst here on that, and I can confirmed it's true

I sometimes apply different frame masks in Lightroom as a batch operation using the "Quick Develop" feature for easy crop to 4:3 or letterbox for video projection. Easy peasy. FWIW, I have only done this on a handful of images in the four years of K-3 ownership.

As for it being a weakness in the camera, I might be a nice feature for some users, but not typical for market segment in 2013.
When you originaly shooting in some of the formats , 3:2, 4:3, or 1:1 your framing is better, post crop will not give you the same results, unless you intentionaly "spoil" your 3:2 frame with unbalanced object(s), just for 4:3 croping after that, where everything would "sits" on its place, and will be well balanced.

In camera editing is a pain, regardless of brand/model. In 2013, the feature was essentially equivalent to that in the D7100, though on that camera retouching required a deep menu dive and was not directly available from playback.

As for switching back and forth from B&W and Color for JPEG capture, the monochrome custom image setting may be set for one of the three User modes.
Well, you know its not the same shoot

This would be a nice feature to have with dedicated flash. I don't know that any of the K-3's competition in 2013 offered this feature. At issue is coordinating flash duration with curtain speed and aperture. Full power requires sync before time of second curtain travel and/or narrower aperture. Both are much easier with some form of TTL flash.

With the K-3, 2nd curtain sync is available in all exposure modes except "green" and "X" and as both master and controller. It is possible to hack 2nd-curtain sync when using off-camera speedlights, but the results may be unpredictable.*
2nd curtain is not available, unless you turn on trailing - and this option is not manual, and it's available only in Auto.

Nikon D7100: 765gm with battery and memory cards
Pentax K-3: 800gm with battery and memory cards

Perhaps features such as IBIS, PC sync, and IR remote might account for those 35 grams?
Who said Nikon is not heavy camera too ?

Last edited by panonski; 02-06-2018 at 03:35 AM.
02-06-2018, 03:56 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Originally Posted by panonski:&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;&lt;br /&gt;<br />
- 4 ) STIFF CAMERA ON OFF BUTTON - Sometimes it seems a little bit stuck, sometimes is smooth&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;&lt;br /&gt;<br />
&lt;br /&gt;<br />
Avoid spilling sugary drinks on the camera? Seriously, though, I don't believe this is typical for the K-3.&lt;br /&gt;<br />
&lt;br /&gt;<br />
My k-3 ii har a VERY tight power switch. Sometimed I need two hands!
02-06-2018, 06:59 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
&lt;br /&gt;<br />
My k-3 ii har a VERY tight power switch. Sometimed I need two hands!
Pentax designed it that way so people would not be accidentally bumping it and griping about the switch turning off when bumped

02-06-2018, 11:39 AM   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

2nd curtain is not available, unless you turn on trailing - and this option is not manual, and it's available only in Auto.
Yes, second curtain is enabled on the flash (is a flash feature) and is done is cooperation with the body and yes, it is only available in conjunction with P-TTL with existing Pentax protocols. One can apply flash EC to balance flash, however. The same limitation is true for most (all?) other camera brands. Historically, 2nd curtain flash has only been available on bodies supporting TTL flash automation. Whether the feature can be applied to straight manual flash is hard to say though it is safe to say that it will not happen with generic speedlights.

Whether this is a weakness depends on how often one needs 2nd curtain flash with full manual control.

Steve

(...will admit to having never used 2nd-curtain sync except to test that it works )
02-06-2018, 01:47 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Yes, second curtain is enabled on the flash (is a flash feature) and is done is cooperation with the body and yes, it is only available in conjunction with P-TTL with existing Pentax protocols. One can apply flash EC to balance flash, however. The same limitation is true for most (all?) other camera brands. Historically, 2nd curtain flash has only been available on bodies supporting TTL flash automation. Whether the feature can be applied to straight manual flash is hard to say though it is safe to say that it will not happen with generic speedlights.

Whether this is a weakness depends on how often one needs 2nd curtain flash with full manual control.

Steve

(...will admit to having never used 2nd-curtain sync except to test that it works )
i really don't know about other cameras brands, and their settings on flash propositions and posibilituies - but trailing is only available in non M - mode ( I cannot recall all modes where you can turn your flash to trailing ) ... SO M mode, where you want to fire the flash in 1/10 s speed,
with lets say - 1/32 power - will not be possible.

You can imitate this, in AUTO, or TvAv mode, with flash exposure compensation, but the camera would in low light situations - / and that situation is actually interesting and suitable for that kind of a game /- choose super long exposure due to metering.
You will end by 1/2 or even 1/1 s - and flash will fire long long after the exposure began... It is certainly LONG TRAIL - because it will leave your freeze shoot with numerous trailing lights from your live concert...
---
It's somewhat usefull, but I think it's hard to nail it just right - to suite or cover your needs
02-06-2018, 04:02 PM   #41
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

...but trailing is only available in non M - mode ( I cannot recall all modes where you can turn your flash to trailing ) ... SO M mode, where you want to fire the flash in 1/10 s speed, with lets say - 1/32 power - will not be possible.
Interesting...my manual does not read that way* and my camera is ignorant of that limitation as well. M-mode on the flash is another matter entirely; that is definitely not possible with any P-TTL flash that I am aware of.

As for M mode 1/10s trailing curtain at 1/32 power...No, the best one can do with Pentax-brand flash is -4 stops EC from the metered flash duration with the AF360/560FGZII. Depending on ambient light, this might well do the job, assuming one wants VERY weak flash contribution. I tried it on my K-3 with -2.0 flash EC and it works, though the timing of the pre-flash might be wrong for this long an exposure.

If you still have your K-3, you might want to give it a try.

Steve

* The manual says Tv, TAv, M, and B for regular trailing curtain and P, Sv, and Av for slow trailing curtain.
02-06-2018, 04:04 PM   #42
Pentaxian

and P, Sv, and Av for slow trailing curtain.
yes I believe we are talking about the slow trail
02-06-2018, 04:24 PM   #43
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

yes I believe we are talking about the slow trail
The difference between "slow" trailing sync and the regular kind is that in P, Sv, and Av modes the camera chooses the slow speed as part of its automation. In M, Tv, TAv, and B modes the camera simply does the trailing sync for the shutter speed you choose. This is easy enough to check with your K-3.

Steve
02-07-2018, 03:20 AM   #44
Pentaxian

The difference between "slow" trailing sync and the regular kind is that in P, Sv, and Av modes the camera chooses the slow speed as part of its automation. In M, Tv, TAv, and B modes the camera simply does the trailing sync for the shutter speed you choose. This is easy enough to check with your K-3.

Steve
thank you Steve on your help here, I will check that out

edit
Yes, I checked that, but there is a preflash included right on the 1 curtain, and then again flash is fired in closing shutter time. So, it's not real thing

Last edited by panonski; 02-07-2018 at 11:05 AM.
02-25-2018, 02:55 AM   #45

Photos: Gallery
Not sure I agree on what you say about the AF Mode button on the left of the body casing. On my K3 the button is located in a concave mounting panel that allows me to find it be touch very effectively and quickly.