Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2018, 07:43 AM - 4 Likes   #166
Veteran Member

I dont have any clue on specs yet, but been trying to tell all along that it will be a new K-3 camera

03-05-2018, 07:57 AM   #167

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
I dont have any clue on specs yet, but been trying to tell all along that it will be a new K-3 camera
Personally, I never doubt you.
But the wait is so hard, that makes me doubt Ricoh itself!!!
03-05-2018, 08:02 AM - 1 Like   #168
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sungibr Quote
Personally, I never doubt you.
But the wait is so hard, that makes me doubt Ricoh itself!!!
That one I can understand. They have their reasons, but even I get frustrated over the wait sometimes
03-05-2018, 08:05 AM   #169
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you know it's coming then it can't be that far off. The KP is a decent camera and it seems to be spec'd in such a way to leave room above for a higher camera.

03-05-2018, 08:14 AM   #170
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
If you know it's coming then it can't be that far off. The KP is a decent camera and it seems to be spec'd in such a way to leave room above for a higher camera.
To be fair, I haven't asked too much around APS-C, cause I will never go back to it They told me it will come, and I'm satisfied with that answer
03-05-2018, 08:33 AM   #171
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
Exactly. Of course the KP is lacking as a flagship: it's NOT a flagship. It has never been.
03-05-2018, 08:41 AM   #172
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suspected that was the case and felt that way even more strongly when the discontinued the K-3 II. Just had my KP and bonus goodies delivered by the UPS man! Waiting for her to warm up before mounting a lens and testing.

03-05-2018, 09:07 AM - 2 Likes   #173
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Albermarle Quote
The KP is the best crop camera Pentax are producing at the moment. Wouldn't that make it the current flagship crop camera for Pentax. If not I'm confused. And why is this concept so confronting for some. I guess sometime next year we will have another camera with higher specs than the KP that we all can agree is a flagship camera.
If the KP didn't exist, would you be willing to label the K-70 as a "flagship"??
03-05-2018, 09:26 AM   #174
Veteran Member

That is good news to hear, Thank You Adam.
03-05-2018, 09:31 AM   #175
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
This "flagship" term (and I use it myself) gets in the way sometimes... We're talking about a high end APS-C body - top of the APS-C range, with feature set to match
Yes, that's what we're talking about. But I wonder if Pentax was thinking in the same terms when the current lineup came about.

From the evidence, I'd say that Pentax didn't initially think of FF as a new line but rather as a feature on a feature matrix. The flagship would of course have all possible features, and that would include FF. Beyond that I think they were going for a good/better/best lineup: K-70, KP, and K-1.

I'm glad to hear that they're working on something more fully featured than the KP, that is really good news indeed. It's just a shame that it took them so long.
03-05-2018, 11:16 AM   #176
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
If the KP didn't exist, would you be willing to label the K-70 as a "flagship"??
QuoteQuote:
Definition of flagship
1 : the ship that carries the commander of a fleet or subdivision of a fleet and flies the commander's flag
2 : the finest, largest, or most important one of a series, network, or chain the company's flagship store
So yes, if K-70 would be their only model. It is very meaningless once your not in the terrain of supercars or so.

For K-mount it looks like K-1ii is the flagship.
03-05-2018, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #177
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
From the evidence, I'd say that Pentax didn't initially think of FF as a new line but rather as a feature on a feature matrix. The flagship would of course have all possible features, and that would include FF. Beyond that I think they were going for a good/better/best lineup: K-70, KP, and K-1.
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
For K-mount it looks like K-1ii is the flagship.
For me, the DA vs FA and D-FA lens ranges - and the design ethos for them - clearly delineate the APS-C and FF lines. Yes, many of those lenses can be shared between both APS-C and FF cameras, but there are plenty of current APS-C lenses where the design priorities were quite different to the FF lenses. Furthermore the use cases and usefulness of lenses changes drastically depending on whether you shoot them on an APS-C or FF body. On that basis, it seems illogical to me to consider the K-1 as the next step in a range that includes the K-3II... It's certainly more expensive, and for very good reason, but the two cameras have quite different benefits because of the sensor formats (as well as some common ground), yet share many of the same semi-pro features. I don't care whether we use the term flagship, but I see the APS-C and FF lines to be separate, and there's a space for a new high end APS-C camera. I call it an APS-C flagship because it would be the most full-featured and robust of the APS-C cameras, but that's just my terminology...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-05-2018 at 01:41 PM.
03-05-2018, 12:56 PM   #178

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Yes.
Just simply stating that the KP is the best crop camera Pentax are producing at the moment. In my small mind that would probably qualify it as their current crop "flagship". When the new K? finaly arrives sometime next year it will probably succeed it. I am waiting for that model. Others may disagree with my way of seeing things and that's fine too.
03-05-2018, 03:42 PM - 1 Like   #179
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
To flagship or not to flagship...
K3 was released 4,5 years ago, got only a small intermediate update, and this update is discontinued.
A replacement was planned all along, I hear many saying: "I have said all along...I knew all along....I told you all along..."
4,5 years of time to waste on a healthy update, but now however, it is not ready (although it was planned all along).
In the meantime Pentax apparently had some spare time to waste, a lot of it, so they wasted it on a .... KP, not a flagship, not actually anything more than a sideways experiment, but as said, Pentax had a lot of time to waste....
But wait a minute, shouldn't they have been making a flagship? Ooops, now they are a year late.
Quite a riddle...

Don't get angry, trying to solve riddles is a very healthy thing for the mind now and then... especially when you have some time to waste...
"Waste" is pretty strong and emotive word to use, Chris... especially when you use it repeatedly. With respect, you're not doing yourself any favours

The way I see it:

The K-3 was indeed released 4.5 years ago. It got the kind of refresh we'd expect mid-way through that term, adding GPS (swapped for the internal flash), built-in astro, improved SR and pixel-shift (this last one being arguably the most significant). Not huge updates, but notable, and certainly worthwhile for many.

I think we'd have liked a K-3II replacement around now, but the K-1 and KP came first. Looks like those were the priorities. And the K-1II, in line with the K-3II, is just a mid-term update, so required much less development than an entirely new APS-C flagship.

We'll probably never know Ricoh's strategy and reasons for developing what they develop in the order presented. Those for whom the updated and newly-developed products are relevant have been happy. Those who hoped for something else - yourself, perhaps - aren't. Can't please everyone all of the time, right?

For what it's worth, I've been happy with the camera release cycle since I bought my new K-7 back in 2010. The K-3II replacement is taking longer than it should, in my view - especially as we're now without a current-production flagship APS-C body... but it's coming. None of us is without the ability to take great photographs in the meantime
03-05-2018, 03:59 PM   #180
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Exactly. Of course the KP is lacking as a flagship: it's NOT a flagship. It has never been.
Certainly, but many who have complained about bigger / heavier cameras may see Kp as their flagship.
It's nice to hear that K3II is being replaced. The delay may have to do with new technology around the corner, perhaps also co-developed with a K1 flagship.
I see K1 as a try and see projects, and now Pentax continues with 1 or 2 models and more lenses.
But 645 users have to wait instead.

I have K1 now and have ideas about updating K1 (500 €), or buying a Kp that I see for the first time on Friday (700 € at one month back). Or update hardware to K1II and wait for K3III. I use 2 cameras sometime and 2 K1 are to expensive for me, + i have DA lenses.