Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 685 Likes Search this Thread
04-24-2018, 07:32 PM - 1 Like   #451
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
I found that my new 65" 4K TV displays 1080 blu-rays much better than my old 42" 1080p TV did. I'm not sure if it's the extra resolution, a better panel, or a higher frame rate, but the difference is significant.
4K is about the pixel density, it doesn't tell anything about color accuracy, resolution and contrast. My newer HD display projects brighter saturated images but the colors , tone gradation are way better on my 8 years old Sony 1280 panel. It is nearly impossible to tell the difference between HD and 4K display using the same pixel tech and electronics. My point is, it's all about pixel tech, not so much about pixel density. I recently bought a new laptop and selected a high-end HD display because HD was cheaper and 4K made no visual difference at normal viewing distance.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 04-24-2018 at 10:46 PM.
04-25-2018, 02:12 AM   #452
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use my K-01 for video all the time. Like all cameras it is limited to the amount of video it will capture at a time, because cameras and video recorders are covered by different import controls and tariffs - no camera maker will allow their camera to be classified as a video recorder.

---------- Post added 04-24-18 at 07:11 PM ----------

I found that my new 65" 4K TV displays 1080 blu-rays much better than my old 42" 1080p TV did. I'm not sure if it's the extra resolution, a better panel, or a higher frame rate, but the difference is significant.

I spent less on it than I would have spent on a new KP.
Right. But these discussion devolve into each one of us stating our preferences and needs, but the question I have is more global in nature.

Obviously an awful lot of video these days is shot with cell phones. The issue with most of the videos I see on the internet have little to do with 4K or not and everything to do with lack of stabilization, good sound, tight editing, and coherent story/plot. It's the reason I can still watch a movie like Casablanca and struggle to get through the modern blockbusters that are churned out every summer.
04-25-2018, 04:22 AM   #453
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Broadcast even now that the local channels are all digital is only 1080i at most so your 4k TV has to upscale and induce its own interpretation of the scene. And who really wants to see your favorite TV personalities pores and nose hairs? Really, it is bad enough in1080i!

Isn't that an argument for stills portrait shooting with a 2 Mpix camera?
04-25-2018, 09:03 AM   #454
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Isn't that an argument for stills portrait shooting with a 2 Mpix camera?
No, it is an argument against HDTV. Your portraits have you as the photographer to use lens, lighting and PP to your object's best advantage. Some TV algorithm can't do that. All the amazing portrait shooters here prove it every time they post an image.

04-25-2018, 09:39 AM   #455
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
There are lot of sports and sports venues that are below the Olympics status and either don't offer it or just in offices.

The 5G will ofcourse be much better and could have that roll.
04-25-2018, 10:14 AM   #456
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I actually agree that 4K should be implemented if possible. It’s partially just an appeal to general users who don’t want to choose a camera with “worse” video, but also because the benefits of 4K video are more about increased ability to crop in post or other advanced editing, without losing too much resolution.

That being said, I think that the philosophy of Pentax as a camera company is more stills oriented. There are other companies that produce cameras that are much better for video in my opinion. I would personally prefer more R&D into stills if they have to choose.
04-25-2018, 10:53 AM - 1 Like   #457
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by str8talk83 Quote
I actually agree that 4K should be implemented if possible. It’s partially just an appeal to general users who don’t want to choose a camera with “worse” video, but also because the benefits of 4K video are more about increased ability to crop in post or other advanced editing, without losing too much resolution.

That being said, I think that the philosophy of Pentax as a camera company is more stills oriented. There are other companies that produce cameras that are much better for video in my opinion. I would personally prefer more R&D into stills if they have to choose.
I think assuming the right sensor and an upgrading imaging processor, 4K should be easily possible. The issue till now was that Pentax has used older sensors that didn't have fast enough read out speeds to allow for 4K video (I don't know about the KP, but the others certainly don't allow it).

At the same time, I just don't see Pentax investing a bunch to make video "top of the line." Auto focus improvements in video, mechanical shake reduction, and even focus peaking while filming video are all things that could help, but I don't know if Pentax is going to do anything about them, but they are probably more important to making video useful on Pentax SLRs than would be the addition of 4K.

04-25-2018, 11:53 AM   #458
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
No, it is an argument against HDTV. Your portraits have you as the photographer to use lens, lighting and PP to your object's best advantage. Some TV algorithm can't do that. All the amazing portrait shooters here prove it every time they post an image.

Why can't you do all of those things with video? Setting aside bandwidth and technical concerns higher resolution is better. If you want to mask your subject's failings you can do that in a higher resolution environment. Going back to 480 pixel resolution just makes everything look worse.
04-25-2018, 01:08 PM   #459
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
There are lot of sports and sports venues that are below the Olympics status and either don't offer it or just in offices.

The 5G will ofcourse be much better and could have that roll.
I heard Getty were paying NFL stadium owners to put in dedicated Ethernet for their togs, but 5G could indeed be valuable for independent photographers at lesser venues, because they could sell more easily to the agencies who may or may not be covering lesser events

04-25-2018, 02:11 PM   #460
Pentaxian

dedicated Ethernet
Standard prerequisite at all the new Surfing Stadiums,better check your Tullamarine is doing it!
04-25-2018, 07:40 PM   #461
Veteran Member

I heard Getty were paying NFL stadium owners to put in dedicated Ethernet for their togs, but 5G could indeed be valuable for independent photographers at lesser venues, because they could sell more easily to the agencies who may or may not be covering lesser events
Good luck putting wired Ethernet on a golf course or similar venue.

There's some question whether 5G will really be an improvement. No ?Material Difference Between 5G & LTE?
04-25-2018, 09:14 PM   #462
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Good luck putting wired Ethernet on a golf course or similar venue.
Ooh, did you read the article I linked, Mark? At Sochi, they connected eleven different venues with 22 kilometres of cable a month beforehand.

Where there's a will, there's a way, you could do it at Augusta, even if the beancounters only splashed the cash for the 18th hole and the clubhouse to get the final putts of each round and the celebration shots.

Because so much news is online these days, the web editors want to see, buy and FTP download from the agencies now, not wait for an independent guy to finish his day's shooting, go back to his hotel room and sort the keepers, edit them in Lightroom then submit to interested purchasers.

There's some question whether 5G will really be an improvement. No ?Material Difference Between 5G & LTE?
I would have thought bandwidth was more important to the photo editors than the milliseconds latency required of the surgeons and autonomous cars that article mentions. I would have thought too that the period while 5G was being introduced was not important as when the technology had matured, was widespread, and cameras could incorporate it. They don't have SIM cards at the moment, for example.
04-25-2018, 09:49 PM - 2 Likes   #463
Veteran Member

Ooh, did you read the article I linked, Mark? At Sochi, they connected eleven different venues with 22 kilometres of cable a month beforehand.

Where there's a will, there's a way, you could do it at Augusta, even if the beancounters only splashed the cash for the 18th hole and the clubhouse to get the final putts of each round and the celebration shots.

Because so much news is online these days, the web editors want to see, buy and FTP download from the agencies now, not wait for an independent guy to finish his day's shooting, go back to his hotel room and sort the keepers, edit them in Lightroom then submit to interested purchasers.
I must apologize, I did not read the linked article - looking back I'm having trouble even finding a link. I'm more interested in seeing how a lesser golf course such as Hazeltine copes. I have a particular interest in that one since it's about 1/2 mile from my house. In the 17 years I've lived here there have only been 3 events which warrant that kind of coverage. The latest was the Ryder Cup in 2016, which will be back again in 2028. Don't ask for pictures, I made sure I was out of town when that craziness came.

I would have thought bandwidth was more important to the photo editors than the milliseconds latency required of the surgeons and autonomous cars that article mentions. I would have thought too that the period while 5G was being introduced was not important as when the technology had matured, was widespread, and cameras could incorporate it. They don't have SIM cards at the moment, for example.
The article implies that it's all down to the frequency allocations. If you try to shoehorn it into the frequencies that are available today you get no throughput improvement.
04-25-2018, 10:09 PM   #464
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I must apologize, I did not read the linked article - looking back I'm having trouble even finding a link.
Yeah, it's in Post 445.

I'm more interested in seeing how a lesser golf course such as Hazeltine copes. I have a particular interest in that one since it's about 1/2 mile from my house. In the 17 years I've lived here there have only been 3 events which warrant that kind of coverage. The latest was the Ryder Cup in 2016, which will be back again in 2028. Don't ask for pictures, I made sure I was out of town when that craziness came.
Mixed blessing, isn't it, hosting an international event!

The article implies that it's all down to the frequency allocations. If you try to shoehorn it into the frequencies that are available today you get no throughput improvement.
They're not trying to do that, Mark, the EU last month "struck a deal on opening up the 3.6 and 26 GHz bands by 2020" and a few weeks ago the UK regulator did a spectrum auction in the 3.4 GHz band.

Verizon want to deploy this year in Sacramento, L.A, Indianapolis and Houston.
04-26-2018, 03:45 AM   #465
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I recently bought a new laptop and selected a high-end HD display because HD was cheaper and 4K made no visual difference at normal viewing distance.
Well, either you need (new) glasses or you haven’t really tried a high-resolution display. I write this on an iMac 5K and after having used that for about three years now, I’m not able to go back to lower resolution.