Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2018, 12:17 AM   #46

With all due respect, this new camera they have recently started work on is a KP replacement/upgrade. When you can only work on one high end camera at one time just say so. It doesn't matter if you call it KP or K3? It is the only high end camera that can be produced in the succession.
Pentax absolutely need to pull a rabbit out of the hat though (cough, Fuji X-H1,cough). When Pentax bough tout their previous aps-c flagships they were top of the game. That seems a a way of now.

03-04-2018, 12:20 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Albermarle Quote
With all due respect, this new camera they have recently started work on is a KP replacement/upgrade.
With all due respect, you know this HOW??
03-04-2018, 12:30 AM - 1 Like   #48
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
With all due respect, this new camera they have recently started work on is a KP replacement/upgrade.
Indeed, please cite sources when making statements like this. Your comment here is the first I've heard such a thing.
03-04-2018, 12:42 AM - 3 Likes   #49
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

With all due respect, this new camera they have recently started work on is a KP replacement/upgrade. When you can only work on one high end camera at one time just say so. It doesn't matter if you call it KP or K3? It is the only high end camera that can be produced in the succession.
None of us can know for sure until the camera is released. We can only choose to take Ricoh at its word (or not), but I have no cause to disbelieve them and see no benefit in doing so.

Regardless of what they call it, the features will tell us whether it's a K-3II or KP replacement... If it has 200k+ shutter life, 8.3fps+ continuous shooting, deep buffer, dual card slots, IR remote and high capacity D-Li90 (or similar) battery - features that the KP lacks (despite being a fine camera in its own right) - then it's a K-3II replacement

03-04-2018, 12:53 AM - 2 Likes   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll repeat again, as others have also done - all the evidence, if you wish to look at it that way, is logically consistent with Ricoh taking a top to bottom review of Pentax, deciding on a strategy, and following it. That strategy is to make Pentax what we should all want - serious cameras to be taken seriously. Pentax were floundering even before Hoya came along - that's partly why Hoya came along. They made a few good products but too much budget and gimmicky stuff and not enough high end. Ricoh, it seems to me, have addressed a lot of issues that needed to be sorted out and have delivered, increasingly, very sound and innovative cameras as well as starting building a modern FF lens line up almost from scratch.

I, along with many others, never thought the KP was a flagship APS-C - and nothing from the Ricoh horse's mouth ever claimed it was either: rumour and speculation isn't facts. I never doubted that there would be a genuine successor to the K-3 - it's quite a separate niche from the KP. But no company is independent of others - some parts have to be waited for, some competition as to be countered. Not everything is in the control of a given manufacturer, and smaller ones are more at the mercy of others than bigger ones. Ricoh have a vision for Pentax - that much seems clear from the evidence - but they also have to be, and are being, adaptable in bringing that vision to market

Last edited by ffking; 03-04-2018 at 02:31 AM.
03-04-2018, 02:22 AM - 1 Like   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Ricoh sure have a stange strategy in handling this. They discontinue K3II 12-18 month before they have a replacement.

It's like they are skipping one iteration of the APS-C flagship. Would it not have been better to make a small refreshment of the K3II to fill the gap before they would come with the next generation of the APS-C flagship? Adding the latest stuff from existing line up and release it as K3III (5-axis SR, accellerator chip, Prime IV, built in WiFi).

What makes it even stanger IMO is that they choose to release an experimental camera like KP instead of keeping their already existing lineup up to date.

Oh well, I will survive. But it seems like Ricoh made some risky decisions by doing like this.

Last edited by Fogel70; 03-04-2018 at 02:28 AM.
03-04-2018, 02:26 AM - 5 Likes   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
the KP isn't and was never meant to be the top APS-C model
That sounds like a rewriting of history to me. I suspect the reason the K-3 successor is late is because they got a late start on it.
No, it's just a bunch of forum users trying to force their own vision as "history".
The KP basically was designed to leave room for a higher-end APS-C model. And Pentax was busy with other projects, too, including the K-1. Everything fits nicely together.

I was right all along, and you were wrong. Deal with it

03-04-2018, 02:52 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
However, it seems that the K-3 successor won't be able to come out as early as they had wanted.
don't read too much into yet, they have not said when it will come out, just that it won't be as soon as they had liked.
03-04-2018, 03:37 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

… However, it seems that the K-3 successor won't be able to come out as early as they had wanted.
Somehow, this comment seems to have morphed into "not until next year, if not later". I haven't seen anything that indicates when "they had wanted" actually was. For all we know, that was CP+2018, and they've had to put it off until later this year.

It is odd, though, that a model could be discontinued before its replacement is ready. If it indicates a rework of the design (as with the D FA*70-200/2.8) rather than a stretched design timeline due to resource limitations, then I'm unsure if that would be more concerning or reassuring. I have to say that's pure speculation on my part, of course.

Anyway, I might simply buy a KP as an interim APS-C travel body, and look at trading it in when the K-3ii replacement arrives.
03-04-2018, 03:56 AM   #55
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
It is odd, though, that a model could be discontinued before its replacement is ready.
By discontinuing it, I guess Ricoh is directing those who need a premium Pentax DSLR towards the KP. Those people will have to accept some compromises, for sure, but at least they get the very best image quality... and Ricoh maximises sales of the KP while it works on the new model.

Plus, demand for the K-3II must have dwindled considerably. It's a brilliant camera, and more than capable enough for me - but it's getting quite long in the tooth by today's standards, and "gear enthusiasts" are awfully demanding these days. You have to wonder how many potential sales were left in it, and whether they'd be sufficient for another production run.

Or maybe it's a case of component availability? It's possible that one or more components in the K-3II is no longer available in sufficient quantity to allow a decent production run and support servicing and repair activities...
03-04-2018, 03:59 AM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
By discontinuing it, I guess Ricoh is directing those who need a premium Pentax DSLR towards the KP. Those people will have to accept some compromises, for sure, but at least they get the very best image quality... and Ricoh maximises sales of the KP while it works on the new model.

Plus, demand for the K-3II must have dwindled considerably. It's a brilliant camera, and more than capable enough for me - but it's getting quite long in the tooth by today's standards, and "gear enthusiasts" are awfully demanding these days. You have to wonder how many potential sales were left in it, and whether projected future sales would be sufficient for another production run.

Or maybe it's a case of component availability? It's possible that one or more components in the K-3II is no longer available in sufficient quantity to allow a decent production run and support servicing and repair activities...
Yes, those things are possible, too. It doesn't really matter, but we'll probably never know the reasons why.
03-04-2018, 04:10 AM - 4 Likes   #57
Veteran Member

The K3 line is over. Dead as a parrot. Whatever comes next will be different. It has to be. It will need to be a camera for the market of 2018/2019, not 2012/2013 no matter what the bodyshell looks like. This talk of flagship is a little ridiculous, I think. It’s just a word, and not a helpful one. Pentax have to stay very appealing on APS-C because right now it’s most of what they have to bring home the bacon. By far the majority of their customers use it. Look forward to a new top camera but don’t ask Pentax to trap themselves in the past. They must move on and find a new generation of keen users.
03-04-2018, 04:11 AM - 2 Likes   #58
Veteran Member

Just as I've been trying to say Even with some here thinks I'm a fake without any info..just faking knowledge!
03-04-2018, 04:12 AM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
By discontinuing it, I guess Ricoh is directing those who need a premium Pentax DSLR towards the KP.
Or they don't renew supply orders for obsolete components, to make an old camera that's no longer selling.
03-04-2018, 04:15 AM   #60
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
...the KP was indeed the high end crop body.
I find it difficult to see how the KP, given its shortcomings in relation to the K3, could ever be considered a flagship replacement.