Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2018, 09:13 PM   #766
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Now if she was doing that with 2 bunches of leeks instead of the feathers...
I like where this is going. Hahaha!

08-05-2018, 09:32 PM   #767
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
OK.Here.
yeah nice one

---------- Post added 06-08-18 at 02:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
OK, another teaser.
that'll get the party started

---------- Post added 06-08-18 at 02:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
A teaser would only make sense if there was something just around the corner.
and I certainly hope there is
08-06-2018, 04:18 AM   #768
Pentaxian

we could see a K-3ii replacement and a Kp upgrade, bearing in mind that the Kp has now been out as long as the K-3 had been when the K-3ii was announced. However, given the current situation with development resources, I would think that a better strategy would be to announce the K-3ii successor now and the Kp upgrade in six months time.
I will be rather surprised if we see a KP upgrade, well, ever. Okay, maybe that is extreme, but I would not expect it to be a priority. The K3x is overdue, and I would expect that is the number one priority. The 645z replacement should also be in the works. I expect it will follow on the heals of the k3x with a lot of the same tech.

The wild card is the K70. It could soldier on for another year or more, or a replacement could be announced tomorrow.

Last edited by rangercarp; 08-06-2018 at 01:08 PM. Reason: typo
08-06-2018, 04:37 AM - 1 Like   #769
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
The wild card is the K70. It could soldier on for another year or more, or a replacement could be announcement tomorrow.
If I had to guess, I think the K-70 will be left "as is" for now. When the K-3II replacement comes out, that will position each model of the APS-C range quite appropriately in terms of IQ... K-70 - great IQ, KP - slightly better, and K-3III a tad better still...

08-06-2018, 06:30 AM   #770
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I will be rather surprised if we see a KP upgrade, well, ever. Okay, maybe that is extreme, but I would not expect it to be a priority. The K3x is overdue, and I would expect that is the number one priority. The 645z replacement should also be in the works. I expect it will follow on the heals of the k3x with a lot of the same tech.

The wild card is the K70. It could soldier on for another year or more, or a replacement could be announcement tomorrow.
Or. perhaps, we will never see a K-70 followup. The K-70 came out just around the time Ricoh announced that Pentax was being positioned as a "quality" brand - we don't know what that implies, but they must be rethinking anything below the K-3 line.
08-06-2018, 08:44 AM - 1 Like   #771
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Or. perhaps, we will never see a K-70 followup. The K-70 came out just around the time Ricoh announced that Pentax was being positioned as a "quality" brand - we don't know what that implies, but they must be rethinking anything below the K-3 line.
That would be too bad, as every car line has a smaller, inexpensive model to get them in the door and hopefully build brand loyalty. It is a "quality" camera and may stay as the entry level and value camera for a long time. I suspect it will never be as cheap as the Canikony garbage that proliferates at the entry level, but it needs to be there to entice new DSLR owners into the Pentax system.

The market may be shrinking, but there are still new shooters like myself, and returnees who have that link to Pentax who may not be able to spend the money on a KP or K-3 ?? when it arrives. K-70 MkII anyone? (unlikely but what could they do to create one other than improve video for the masses?)
08-06-2018, 01:07 PM   #772
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
K-70 MkII anyone?
K-72?

08-06-2018, 05:15 PM   #773

Build-in flash: Guys, get out of the box! You don't have to select between having flash OR GPS. That is d..mb. Camera easily can accomodate both. If designer is forced to.

Photokina: I'm afraid that they are only going to show K1II with DFA50/1.4 and nothing else. There is not even single tiny hint about any new camera.

615Z successor will be better suited for 100th year anniversary in 2019..
08-06-2018, 06:59 PM   #774
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The wild card is the K70. It could soldier on for another year or more, or a replacement could be announced tomorrow.
As others have noted, I suspect the K-70 (perhaps with a mild refresh and relabelling) will stay much the same as the entry-level model, if it survives at all.

The Kp, however, looks like the most successful market test-bed that Pentax has had in recent years, so I’d be surprised if it isn’t continued and upgraded. You could, of course, say this about the K-1, too, but that wasn’t in an established Pentax line (based on sensor size), at the time of release.
08-08-2018, 01:23 AM   #775

As others have noted, I suspect the K-70 (perhaps with a mild refresh and relabelling) will stay much the same as the entry-level model, if it survives at all.

The Kp, however, looks like the most successful market test-bed that Pentax has had in recent years, so I’d be surprised if it isn’t continued and upgraded. You could, of course, say this about the K-1, too, but that wasn’t in an established Pentax line (based on sensor size), at the time of release.
Really? The KP is very nice and I'd love to have one as second body, but for what I have seen around the Internet, the K-70 is almost on par and considerably cheaper. If you are going to keep competing on the pro segment with the K1-II or a K1-III and on the prosumer segment with a K3-III (hopefully!), then you'd want to keep traction at the entry-committed level...

A K-70 II or a K-80 would be great, specially considering how bare bones and basic the entry level cameras from Canon and Nikon are (EOS Rebel or the D3300/D3400...). It would make for a solid entry camera, specially if Ricoh ups a bit the video part to broaden a bit the target audience...

Cheers!
08-08-2018, 05:24 AM   #776
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Excalibor Quote
Really? The KP is very nice and I'd love to have one as second body, but for what I have seen around the Internet, the K-70 is almost on par and considerably cheaper. If you are going to keep competing on the pro segment with the K1-II or a K1-III and on the prosumer segment with a K3-III (hopefully!), then you'd want to keep traction at the entry-committed level...

A K-70 II or a K-80 would be great, specially considering how bare bones and basic the entry level cameras from Canon and Nikon are (EOS Rebel or the D3300/D3400...). It would make for a solid entry camera, specially if Ricoh ups a bit the video part to broaden a bit the target audience...

Cheers!
We’ve almost said the same things, you know, except that the Kp has some features that the K70 doesn’t have, like the Accelerator Unit that reduces noise at lower exposure levels and a tilt screen, not to mention its smaller form factor, in some respects. In calling it a test-bed (which I don’t think the K70 could be called) I was emphasising that it had features that might be considered as market trials, and the higher price probably arises from an expectation of lower sales.

However, whether or not Ricoh decides to keep a lower-priced model as entry-level will determine the survival of the K70 or its successor. As far as I can see, the only question would be whether or not it fits with the up-market image that the K-1 and its lenses are projecting. You rightly point out that it stands out against the competition’s offerings in that area, so we’ll see.
08-08-2018, 06:40 AM   #777

We’ve almost said the same things, you know, (...).
I see, I misunderstood your point. Yes, we basically agree. Let's hope Ricoh did the same.

Thanks!

08-12-2018, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #778
Pentaxian

We’ve almost said the same things, you know, except that the Kp has some features that the K70 doesn’t have, like the Accelerator Unit that reduces noise at lower exposure levels and a tilt screen, not to mention its smaller form factor, in some respects. In calling it a test-bed (which I don’t think the K70 could be called) I was emphasizing that it had features that might be considered as market trials, and the higher price probably arises from an expectation of lower sales.
Another major difference is that the KP has the same aperture control as the K-3 series, while the K-70 seems to have the solenoid-based aperture control that dates back to the 1980's. Around the time of the K-30, their implementation of that control seems to have changed; perhaps fewer complaints are coming from K-S2 and K-70 owners, but a few are being made.
08-15-2018, 08:30 PM   #779

Photos: Albums
I find it interesting that everyone is using K-3III as a working name for the K-3II successor. But has Pentax ever used a "III" on a model name before? I do find it interesting that Pentax's retrograde, single-digit, odd-integer numbering scheme for their prosumer models has backed them into a numerical corner, so to speak. Now that we're at "1" no odd numbers are left. It's perhaps why the "KP" has the name it has.
08-15-2018, 10:32 PM   #780
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lew Dite Quote
I find it interesting that everyone is using K-3III as a working name for the K-3II successor. But has Pentax ever used a "III" on a model name before? I do find it interesting that Pentax's retrograde, single-digit, odd-integer numbering scheme for their prosumer models has backed them into a numerical corner, so to speak. Now that we're at "1" no odd numbers are left. It's perhaps why the "KP" has the name it has.
I don'tt think it's much use in trying to analys naming on Pentax DSLR. It has never been consistent or logical, and they have never held onto one naming scheme for long.

In the past they have had a number of DSLR without numbers in the name, from "*ist D" to "K-r".

The use of K3III is just because it is easier to write than "K3II replacement" or "upcoming APC-S DSLR flagship that are above KP".