Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2018, 04:56 AM - 1 Like   #61
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
It is odd, though, that a model could be discontinued before its replacement is ready.
My guess is that production ended at some point in the past based on having enough stock built up to last until the replacement. When the replacement was delayed, and the stock on hand continued to sell, they either had to discontinue it or to reopen the production line. That was likely cost prohibitive.

And the K3II is still selling. Currently B&H lists it as the second best selling Pentax camera behind preorders of the K1II.

03-04-2018, 04:57 AM - 2 Likes   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
The K3 line is over. Dead as a parrot. Whatever comes next will be different. It has to be. It will need to be a camera for the market of 2018/2019, not 2012/2013 no matter what the bodyshell looks like. This talk of flagship is a little ridiculous, I think. It’s just a word, and not a helpful one. Pentax have to stay very appealing on APS-C because right now it’s most of what they have to bring home the bacon. By far the majority of their customers use it. Look forward to a new top camera but don’t ask Pentax to trap themselves in the past. They must move on and find a new generation of keen users.
I think perhaps it's just a matter of words - people use 'K3 replacement' or 'K-3iii' and 'flagship' just as shorthand for the next full featured APS-C offering (which the KP, for all its charms. wasn't/isn't) - not trying to imply that it will simply be upgrade of the existing model with a few new tweaks. That's how I use it, anyway.
03-04-2018, 05:21 AM   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
And the K3II is still selling. Currently B&H lists it as the second best selling Pentax camera behind preorders of the K1II.
At clearance prices, yes.
03-04-2018, 06:26 AM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I think perhaps it's just a matter of words - people use 'K3 replacement' or 'K-3iii' and 'flagship' just as shorthand for the next full featured APS-C offering (which the KP, for all its charms. wasn't/isn't) - not trying to imply that it will simply be upgrade of the existing model with a few new tweaks. That's how I use it, anyway.
I agree, the K-3III is just a name people are using for the next full featured APS-C body. I've never understood all this getting hung up on the name of the next full featured body.

Larry

03-04-2018, 07:06 AM   #65
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good news! Let's hope miracle will happen and together with K-3III there will be a brand new 300mm f/2.8 or rather 500mm f/4 or f/4.5.
03-04-2018, 07:26 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very good news indeed! Pentax makes fantastic APS-C bodies and lenses. I can't wait to see how the K1, KP and other technologies will be used in the next flagship.
03-04-2018, 07:28 AM - 6 Likes   #67
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
KP was never meant to be a flagship. We forced that designation onto the camera because we were impatient and wanted a flagship. It lacks even the basic flagship feature set. KP as a line of cameras is meant to be innovative, interesting and clever.

Pentax is waiting for the next generation of a major component.
Exactly!

What's amusing is that the KP is exactly what so many wanted and were complaining that Pentax was not delivering -- a compact DSLR with great image quality.

What must be so frustrating for Pentax is that every photographer has their own definition of "Pentax must do X (at a low price) or they've failed." No matter what they do, people bitch.

With customers like these, who need competitors!

03-04-2018, 07:38 AM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Exactly!

What's amusing is that the KP is exactly what so many wanted and were complaining that Pentax was not delivering -- a compact DSLR with great image quality.

What must be so frustrating for Pentax is that every photographer has their own definition of "Pentax must do X (at a low price) or they've failed." No matter what they do, people bitch.

It gets tiring, same old comments. Thanks for the announcement Adam. I get along well enough with my K-3 I'm in no hurry. MY frustration at the moment, is after 10 years in the same location, It's getting to be the same old locations over and over again. With a K-1 and a K-3, I'm getting the images I want. What's the rush?

K-3 mkIII in 2018? yawn, 2019 ? whatever. When they get around to it I'll give it a look.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-04-2018 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Inappropriate posting
03-04-2018, 07:44 AM - 4 Likes   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Exactly!

Unfortunately it is a “Mikey” product.* It helps to try it, and it is difficult to try any Pentax product in the west. But boy, stick a DA 21, 40, 70 combo in a messenger bag and Wow!

Last edited by monochrome; 03-04-2018 at 08:06 AM.
03-04-2018, 08:10 AM   #70
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Good that there will be a new top aps-c model. bad they discontinued the K-3 II well before introducing a new model (At Photokina?). We'll have to wait and see.
03-04-2018, 08:30 AM   #71
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
But boy, stick a DA 21, 40, 70 combo in a messenger bag and Wow!
That strikes me as an ideal kit for general day-to-day photography. Superb camera image quality, coupled with lenses that do the sensor proud, and compact to boot. In that application, what's not to like?
03-04-2018, 09:06 AM - 3 Likes   #72

And nothing brings out the NFMSNFA (Not-For-Me-So-Not-For-Anyone/body) mindset like a new release or announcement. Look at all the carping over the KP and now the K-1ii and even more so the ii upgrade.
03-04-2018, 09:17 AM - 1 Like   #73
Veteran Member

Exactly!

Maybe KP is not the massive failure people here tend to believe. Feedback from users is very good to excellent, as a second body or even main body for all ex k-x / r / 30 / 50 / 500 /K 5 / K5 II holders...

In my opinion relatively high price tag is what mostly prevents KP from reaching its full sales potential. There was a KP sale some days ago in France ; body only and paired with 18-50 if I remember well, price being between 700 and 800 EUR. Everything was sold extremely quickly...
03-04-2018, 09:24 AM   #74

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
We've completed our CP+ interview, but it may be another day or two before the video is ready for uploading. One of the things we asked was whether the K-1 line would essentially be the only K-mount flagship, or if they planned to have a model between the K-1 and KP. They reiterated that they are working on a K-3 successor, so the KP isn't and was never meant to be the top APS-C model. However, it seems that the K-3 successor won't be able to come out as early as they had wanted.
So - where did K-3 mk II go if they planned to have a K-3 line all the time?
03-04-2018, 09:24 AM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Good that there will be a new top aps-c model. bad they discontinued the K-3 II well before introducing a new model (At Photokina?). We'll have to wait and see.
Rumors last year were about K3 iii to be announced in September 2018, so possibly at Photokina 18. Now that 2019 is more plausible, maybe may 2019 in Koln?