Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2018, 10:28 AM   #91

Photos: Albums
If it is taking longer than they expected, hopefully this is a consequence of Ricoh developing significant improvements where these are most needed.

Given that they have already developed good technologies for the K-3 ii, K-1, K-70, KP, and K-1ii which can easily be imported into the K-3iii (articulating rear screen, dynamic pixel shift, high level iso noise reduction, third wheel, wi-fi tethering, better SR, etc.) let's hope the new camera will make big strides in enlarged autofocus points coverage, joystick or touch screen for focus select, improved autofocus tracking, higher f.p.s. rate, much larger buffer, quicker buffer download, and a serious attempt at video with 4k at 60 f.p.s. non interlaced, mechanical shake reduction and better focus options in video. Most of us won't need all these improvements, but I suspect most of us would want some of them. Personally I want it all, but note that I am not asking for more pixels! 24MP is enough for aps-c.

That is not to say I am unhappy with what I have in the K-1, K-3ii, and K-70, but to shell out for a new top end aps-c camera - things have to improve on what is already provided.

Hope the interview confirmed future prospects for GR and Q (yes, I know it's 'missing in action' but it's development is finished, let's give it a good send off).

03-04-2018, 10:29 AM - 4 Likes   #92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Keebler Quote
Does anyone wonder if the next K3 successor will be mirrorless?
In short: NO. Well I suppose 'anyone' is broad enough that someone might wonder............

K-3 line is a DSLR. If Pentax comes eventually with a mirrorless line it will be different not a replacement for a DSLR. Calls for a Pentax mirrorless come often and the answer is the same: no. Anyone who wants mirrorless has many other choices. Ricoh has enough work in the pipeline just to rebuild and refresh the DSLR line to last them 10 years. Diverting resources elsewhere is unlikely.
03-04-2018, 10:33 AM   #93
ogl
Banned

I think that we will see this summer not K-3II's replacement, but K-70 (announced on June, 8, 2016) together with 11-18. I hope K-3II's upgrade could be this year. Not 2019.
03-04-2018, 10:46 AM   #94
Keebler

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
In short: NO. Well I suppose 'anyone' is broad enough that someone might wonder............

K-3 line is a DSLR. If Pentax comes eventually with a mirrorless line it will be different not a replacement for a DSLR. Calls for a Pentax mirrorless come often and the answer is the same: no. Anyone who wants mirrorless has many other choices. Ricoh has enough work in the pipeline just to rebuild and refresh the DSLR line to last them 10 years. Diverting resources elsewhere is unlikely.
Thanks Jatrax. I do look forward to news of a K3 II replacement. I do love my K3.

You're right - I shouldn't have mentioned that a mirrorless should be a replacement for DSLR because they are technically different. I should have said as another option to their product line.

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-04-2018 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Keeping it constructive and non-confrontational
03-04-2018, 11:01 AM   #95
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks.

It's incredulous the uppity attitudes which fly often on this forum when simple questions are asked (not just this thread).

I didn't say Pentax cameras suck (I shoot one for crying out loud). I also didn't say they should close shop or anything remotely disparaging yet folks take it personal like I just told them their dog is ugly.

How dare someone suggest something new for Pentax/Ricoh to challenge the market? Gasp!

But asking a question and receiving answers like Boriscleto saying ' bye' without anything constructive or SkierD's response is just asinine and disappointing to say the least.

I guess the keyboard warrior mentality without inquiring more for clarification stands true.

Cheers,
Brian
Agreed. It’s just that we’ve plowed the mirrorless field 1000 times. It. Isn’t. Going. To. Happen.

Q was the Pentax mirrorless entry. Pentax doesn’t have the resources to support four mounts - it appears they aren’t investing in Q. Pentax doesn’t do EVF. Pentax doesn’t do video. Both of those are obligatory for a successful MILC and Pentax simply does not have the resources to catch up. K-mount is too long a FFD for mirrorless. A short FFD body (new mount) with a fully functional K-mount adapter would be a kludge and there wouldn’t be native lenses. K-01 was not well received. The new 11~18 is K-mount. Theta is the Ricoh mirrorless.

The APSc replacement won’t be mirrorless. Maybe there will be a Ricoh or Pentax mirrorless in several years, but not now.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-04-2018 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Removed quoted post due to edit of same
03-04-2018, 11:04 AM   #96
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We've all had times where we think - "Oh, that would be a nice place to practice waving my red rag " without noticing it's a bull-fighting stadium - There is a lot of campaigning for a Pentax mirrorless on theses forums that people find a little tedious because of the critical tone - just like video - and legitimate questions can sometimes look like deliberate provocation - that's all.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-04-2018 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Removed quoted post due to edit of same
03-04-2018, 11:05 AM - 5 Likes   #97
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You're right - I shouldn't have mentioned that a mirrorless should be a replacement for DSLR because they are technically different. I should have said as another option to their product line.
Getting off topic with mirrorless, but Pentax has tried with K-01 and Q and not seemed to be too successful. Will they try again? Who knows.

To all the posts moaning that the K-3II replacement is not here "right now". I have a simple question: what sensor should they use in that camera? It is simple to say "they should have done this or that" but Pentax does not make the sensor, or a lot of the other parts. If the part they want to use is not available yet, then we all wait or use a part that is not as good or is outdated.

I see this as Pentax engineers going to the *"Camera Parts Trade Fair" in Japan. At the Sony booth they say what sensor is coming up soon. Sony says "we have this amazing xyz, but not in production until 2019". At the booth that makes the shutters the Pentax engineer says we need a shutter that will do this. The shutter maker says "no problem, design and testing will take until 20??". The same happens at dozens of part supplier booths, putting together the parts they want Pentax comes up with a schedule that they then have to match with their own engineering schedules. All is good until one of the part suppliers calls and says "legal is holding up the widget until it clears patent review. Delay will be about 6 months.: Pentax schedule is now disrupted. So another product is moved ahead because something has to be running down the production line.

* Note: "Camera Parts Trade Fair" is completely made up and used only as an example. But having worked in various industries all my life, something like it is surely being held.

03-04-2018, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #98
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@jatrax And when they eventually release the camera some people complain that it doesn’t have some current technology* that wasn’t available when the basic design work was completed. This is made even more confusing when Product B (that includes the new technology) jumps ahead of Product A due to the component supplier delay.

* USB 3.0 on K-1 anyone?

Last edited by MarkJerling; 03-05-2018 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Reference to donkeys removed.
03-04-2018, 11:19 AM   #99
Veteran Member

Getting off topic with mirrorless, but Pentax has tried with K-01 and Q and not seemed to be too successful. Will they try again? Who knows.

To all the posts moaning that the K-3II replacement is not here "right now". I have a simple question: what sensor should they use in that camera? It is simple to say "they should have done this or that" but Pentax does not make the sensor, or a lot of the other parts. If the part they want to use is not available yet, then we all wait or use a part that is not as good or is outdated.

I see this as Pentax engineers going to the *"Camera Parts Trade Fair" in Japan. At the Sony booth they say what sensor is coming up soon. Sony says "we have this amazing xyz, but not in production until 2019". At the booth that makes the shutters the Pentax engineer says we need a shutter that will do this. The shutter maker says "no problem, design and testing will take until 20??". The same happens at dozens of part supplier booths, putting together the parts they want Pentax comes up with a schedule that they then have to match with their own engineering schedules. All is good until one of the part suppliers calls and says "legal is holding up the widget until it clears patent review. Delay will be about 6 months.: Pentax schedule is now disrupted. So another product is moved ahead because something has to be running down the production line.

* Note: "Camera Parts Trade Fair" is completely made up and used only as an example. But having worked in various industries all my life, something like it is surely being held.
And since every major manufacturer uses Just In Time sourcing of parts, if anything is delayed for any reason, then work on any product comes to a screeching halt until the expected parts arrive. No one seems to hold inventory anymore since inventory costs money to store.
03-04-2018, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #100
Keebler

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
We've all had times where we think - "Oh, that would be a nice place to practice waving my red rag " without noticing it's a bull-fighting stadium - There is a lot of campaigning for a Pentax mirrorless on theses forums that people find a little tedious because of the critical tone - just like video - and legitimate questions can sometimes look like deliberate provocation - that's all.
I have to admit I haven't been on the forums as much as I should - I didn't realize that mirrorless has been talked about in length.
I suppose that does answer (but not justify) the line of feedback I received lol

Thanks for clarifying.

Cheers,
Brian
03-04-2018, 11:27 AM   #101

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
That strikes me as an ideal kit for general day-to-day photography. Superb camera image quality, coupled with lenses that do the sensor proud, and compact to boot. In that application, what's not to like?
That was my old travel kit, I sold the 21 and 40mm and bought the 20-40mm Ltd and have never regretted it.
K3II 20-40mm Ltd , 15mm Ltd or 70mm Ltd and spare battery can fit in a Billingham Hadley.... brilliant travel kit.
03-04-2018, 11:33 AM - 2 Likes   #102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have to admit I haven't been on the forums as much as I should - I didn't realize that mirrorless has been talked about in length. I suppose that does answer (but not justify) the line of feedback I received lol Thanks for clarifying.
Brian for awhile I was certain Sony was paying people to post here. It was really bad, people with 5 posts would make a "mirrorless is great, my Sony can do....." in every thread they could fit it into. So the kneejerk reaction to a post like yours is understandable if you know the history. But now you know. Don't use "M Word".
03-04-2018, 11:43 AM   #103
Keebler

Brian for awhile I was certain Sony was paying people to post here. It was really bad, people with 5 posts would make a "mirrorless is great, my Sony can do....." in every thread they could fit it into. So the kneejerk reaction to a post like yours is understandable if you know the history. But now you know. Don't use "M Word".
Understood! I'm definitely not paid by anyone. In one way, maybe that's a bad thing because that means no free gear lol
j/kg

PS. I wouldn't doubt companies would pay people. The ground roots marketing through Youtube and social media is incredibly power - however misleading or true it may be.
03-04-2018, 11:55 AM - 2 Likes   #104
Veteran Member

Understood! I'm definitely not paid by anyone. In one way, maybe that's a bad thing because that means no free gear lol
j/kg

PS. I wouldn't doubt companies would pay people. The ground roots marketing through Youtube and social media is incredibly power - however misleading or true it may be.
That is how Mr. Northrup has so much internet clout.

Remember that the definition of clout is generally: "Power that is not from a legitimate source." EG: knowledge.
03-04-2018, 11:55 AM   #105
Pentaxian

Getting off topic with mirrorless, but Pentax has tried with K-01 and Q and not seemed to be too successful...
Well, FWIW, I'd possibly stretch my camera budget quite a bit if I could buy a mirrorless K-01 Mark II full frame K-mount camera with 24MP, EVF, and A7iii-level specs (same sensor, 10fps, 4K, eye-AF, etc) at around the same price as the K-1ii. (And that K-01ii would be different enough from the K-1ii that they would cater to very different markets, despite being about the same price, IMHO.) That being said, I don't expect such a camera to actually materialize. So I'm hoping for a K-3iii before the end of 2018...

Last edited by Doundounba; 03-04-2018 at 12:02 PM.