That would make an interesting survey
Counting analog? It is that 'cheating'

03-04-2018, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #122
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Roland Karlsson Quote
So - where did K-3 mk II go if they planned to have a K-3 line all the time?
See post #119.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-04-2018, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #123
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Counting analog? It is that 'cheating'
Definitely counting analogue, and no, that's not cheating It shows an interest beyond one ring-fenced mode of photography and potentially highlights an interest specifically in the equipment (which speaks to Rob's "collector" comment)
03-04-2018, 02:01 PM   #124
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Can you show me any specific instance where complaining has made Pentax move faster? I think Pentax has a vision of how they want their cameras to perform and they work toward that goal and that's their motivation to produce new product. In other words, like it or love it, they march to the beat of a different drummer.

Larry
Can you show me a specific instance when no noise from customers has spurred a company to greatness?

03-04-2018, 02:06 PM   #125
Pentaxian

Wheatfield, you claimed: "It’s noise from the user base that spurs companies to bring new stuff to the market.". Support that claim; don't try to shift the burden of proof.

And obviously, companies are in the business to make a profit - not to gather most complaints.
03-04-2018, 02:12 PM - 3 Likes   #126
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Can you show me a specific instance when no noise from customers has spurred a company to greatness?
With respect, though, I don't believe Ricoh is aiming for greatness... I could be wrong, but I don't think so. It looks to me like it's trying to run and maintain a good, solid and somewhat individual digital camera and lens business that appeals to a certain type of photographer. A business that is profitable, of course, but of manageable size and risk relative to its wider business activities.

Some of the noise we get seems to be from those who want Pentax to be something it's not. That isn't necessarily a bad thing - we can all wish and hope for what we'd like - but I doubt it has any impact on Ricoh's corporate strategy
03-04-2018, 02:23 PM - 9 Likes   #127
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
It would be interesting to know how many bodies (or even systems) the typical Pentax user has.
The biggest challange with this is probably to find a typical Pentax user. I believe most Pentax users are atypical.

03-04-2018, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #128
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I believe most Pentax users are atypical.
... and that is exactly what makes them typical I'm joking, but there's a ghost of a point in that, I think...
03-04-2018, 02:57 PM - 3 Likes   #129
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Wheatfield, you claimed: "It’s noise from the user base that spurs companies to bring new stuff to the market.". Support that claim; don't try to shift the burden of proof.

And obviously, companies are in the business to make a profit - not to gather most complaints.
On the K-1 Special Site an executive writes the impetus for K-1 came from a German enthusiast who approached the Pentax Team at a camera show. I believe Pentax listens more closely to their user base than the larger companies. KP is another example. There was a user call for a smaller, elegant dSLR to go with the DA Limiteds. So yes, they listen IMO. Which doesn’t necessarily mean they can or will produce every cockamamie idea anyone bleats about. Or even standard ideas like MILC.

There is a vision, and a plan to achieve that vision, and I’d bet they’re okay if that means certain people are alienated. But those people don’t get it. Yet.

It seems like a process of attraction, not promotion.
03-04-2018, 03:00 PM   #130
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
But why wouldn’t you just buy an A7iii then? It’s the camera you’re asking for.
Not sure whom this was aimed at, but since I mentioned the A7iii upthread, I'll take a swing. The AF with K-mount lenses is a little slow on the A7iii... (For those who don't know, there is no AF or even auto-aperture enabled K-mount adapter for Sony, AFAIK.) Also: I'd much prefer to have Pentax haptics, UI, and build quality; I'm not a big fan of Sony as a corporation; and I'm not too keen to make a system switch. Basically, I'd prefer a Pentax. Give me a 9-10 fps, 24MP, k-mount body with some movement on video specs (1080p @ 60fps), some AF improvement, make it better value than the (slightly better spec-ed) competition, and I'll remain a very happy customer.

Last edited by Doundounba; 03-04-2018 at 03:08 PM.
03-04-2018, 03:04 PM   #131
Pentaxian

I've read somewhere that if you put some 5 (or was it 7?) adapters between the lens and the camera, you might have some sort of AF - and that you should be happy about it.
03-04-2018, 03:10 PM   #132
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
The AF with K-mount lenses is a little slow on the A7iii...
I've read somewhere that if you put some 5 (or was it 7?) adapters between the lens and the camera, you might have some sort of AF - and that you should be happy about it.
Meh... it's all in the wrist, fellas. All in the wrist...
03-04-2018, 03:33 PM   #133
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico

Allow me to answer.

Any successful company gets that way by responding to feedback from their customer. Noisy or otherwise. And most people prefer to complain rather than praise.

The customer is always right.

Ignore the customer, and kill your business.
03-04-2018, 03:41 PM   #134
Pentaxian

Feedback is feedback. Thrashing Pentax constantly is not feedback. Luckily, things here are mostly kept under control - but try the other forum...

The customer is often wrong.
If he's cooperative, find out what he wants, and if you can find a mutually beneficial solution do it. If he's uncooperative, ignore him.

Have the customer ordering you around, and you'll kill your business.
03-04-2018, 03:41 PM   #135
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
It would be interesting to know how many bodies (or even systems) the typical Pentax user has.

I have my Ricoh XR2S 35mm film camera.

I've mentioned my 3 Pentax DSLR cameras.

Lots of K mount and some M42 lenses, Pentax, Sigma, Industar, Hanimex, etc.

I have a Pentax point and shoot digital (gave it to Mrs. Racer)

I have a Cambo 4x5 with multiple lenses.

So 4 bodies, a point and shoot, and the large format. What is that, six?