Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 685 Likes Search this Thread
03-26-2018, 06:48 AM   #391
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
I will be buying the 400mm f4DOII lens new myself, because I can then trade in the DA560 + DA1.4TC. I don't see much perspective in trying to sell the lens privately.
I recently sold my FA* 250-600mm f5.6 and Canon 300mm f2.8 L IS USM so could just about cover one but I tend not to buy new lenses. I currently use a Sigma 150-600mm Sport and 100-400mm MKII on the 7D, one of which will also go when I find a 400mm MKII DO

03-26-2018, 10:33 AM   #392
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
It's a 28mm lens wide enough for wildlife? We use rotating heads that move vertically or horizontally our cameras because once we put a cameras on a stand, it stays there and we control the angle of our cameras from a remote and we also have remotes for triggering cameras. Here we used a Nikon D800 of a very good friend of mine.
How do you know the subject is framed correctly?
03-26-2018, 12:57 PM - 2 Likes   #393
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
How do you know the subject is framed correctly?
I see the frame on my phone when I'm shooting with my camera. I use Camera connect app to trigger the camera, to make the adjustment on the settings and for framing also.

For the above image we just used try and error method and we also used manual focus with the focus on the nest. We set up the stand, took a shot, we put a mark on the stand to know how much we raised it and after 3 or 4 shots we managed to frame the nest how we wanted. Then we went back 8-10m and waited for half an hour until the bird approached the nest.
03-26-2018, 08:06 PM   #394
Pentaxian

I will be buying the 400mm f4DOII lens new myself
This lens almost made me switch over to Canon.
One of the drawbacks of the lens was Max magnification of 0.13X to fill the frame with a small bird on FF I would have liked at least 0.22X , but for cropped the 400F4 is a very good choice
It was really between the 300 2.8 and the 400 4 until I found another lens I like that was not in Canon mount.

Last edited by Ian Stuart Forsyth; 03-26-2018 at 08:14 PM.
03-27-2018, 03:48 AM   #395
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Stuart Forsyth Quote
This lens almost made me switch over to Canon.
One of the drawbacks of the lens was Max magnification of 0.13X to fill the frame with a small bird on FF I would have liked at least 0.22X , but for cropped the 400F4 is a very good choice
It was really between the 300 2.8 and the 400 4 until I found another lens I like that was not in Canon mount.
I am not that worried about the max. magnification factor myself, more about reach, and it seems that this lens works extremely well with both extenders, which was the decisive factor for me.
A super fast 400mm f4 can be transformed into a still very fast focussing 560mm f5.6 (which equals my DA560 f5.6) and a slower 800mm f8.
What was holding mé back, was the lesser sensor performance of the Canon 7DII bodies' sensor.
That's why I thought long and hard about the Nikon D500 with Sigma 500mm f4s, but the weight difference for hiking was the decisive factor for me.
Anyway, all this is perhaps more something for the Canon or Nikon forums.
Let's hope for Pentaxians that the new Pentax APS-C body will make up some ground when it comes.
03-27-2018, 04:02 AM   #396
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Anyway, all this is perhaps more something for the Canon or Nikon forums.
... and for the non-Pentax forum here, Chris I'll be interested to know how you get on with the new body and lens combo. I suspect you'll love it

Let's hope for Pentaxians that the new Pentax APS-C body will make up some ground when it comes.
I'm sure it will, but it'll be evolution, not revolution. Those that find Pentax lacking are unlikely to be swayed by the K-3II replacement, I'd guess. But I think it'll be something special taken in context with the rest of the Pentax range...
03-27-2018, 04:52 AM   #397

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'm sure it will, but it'll be evolution, not revolution.
As long as they keep evolving, and don't give up on their well known poorer areas, that's just fine. I've been skipping every other generation (bought K10, K5, and now Kwaiting), so it always feels like a big evolution.
Handheld PS is kinda revolutionary, even if not headline grabbing. And while others just use it to inflate MP counts, they use it where it counts.
They don't have big numbers to show, but have some nice stuff.

03-27-2018, 06:29 AM   #398
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
This doesn't mean you can't shoot fantastic macros on m4/3 - because you definitely can. It doesn't even mean that there is no advantage to shooting high magnification, low-iso, flash macro on a more pixel-dense sensor. It just means that definitions matter, and people (or lens manufacturers) claiming inflated magnification figures based on the crop factor of their camera are mistaken at best, and dishonest at worse.
Sure, magnification is the wrong word to use. 1:1 is the same regardless of format but it will not give the same image cross formats, and the image is what interest photographers. 1:1 on a 8X10 field camera will not impress anyone but on a Pentax Q it will render a gnats eye.
Introducing pixels into this discussion isn't very useful as different image quality is the reason for different formats. It is like insisting on having the same output quality on a Pentax 67 and an LX in order to compare them.
04-09-2018, 08:06 AM   #399

Hmmm, may pick up a K-3 II when the sales start to roll in, but really interested to see what they end up doing with the next one.
04-10-2018, 10:37 AM   #400

FPS + AF ACCURACY+AF SPEED= UPGRADE FOR ME!
Bring it!
Aloha
04-16-2018, 12:34 PM   #401

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
I recently sold my FA* 250-600mm f5.6 and Canon 300mm f2.8 L IS USM so could just about cover one but I tend not to buy new lenses. I currently use a Sigma 150-600mm Sport and 100-400mm MKII on the 7D, one of which will also go when I find a 400mm MKII DO

Can you compare image output of FA*250-600 and Sigma 150-600 Sport please?
04-19-2018, 09:15 AM   #402

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Pentax makes very good cameras. I still have a working *istDL, K10D and K5IIs.
Well, my *istD, K100D, K5IIs and K3II are all working, but my K10D mysteriously, and suddenly, gave up the ghost. Pentax Philippines told me that it needed a new 'computer board' but that the part was no longer available - that was the time I purchased my K5IIs.

I also have an Optio A30, which started displaying, and recording, purple flashes and hues in 2012. I never sent that for repair, but in conversation it was suggested that it also needed a new 'computer board' at a price that approached the original cost of purchase.
04-20-2018, 07:56 PM   #403

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
We've completed our CP+ interview, but it may be another day or two before the video is ready for uploading. One of the things we asked was whether the K-1 line would essentially be the only K-mount flagship, or if they planned to have a model between the K-1 and KP. They reiterated that they are working on a K-3 successor, so the KP isn't and was never meant to be the top APS-C model. However, it seems that the K-3 successor won't be able to come out as early as they had wanted.
I just hope this model has 4K video at least, because some of the other guys are getting 8K ready...
04-20-2018, 07:59 PM   #404
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LXNights Quote
I just hope this model has 4K video at least, because some of the other guys are getting 8K ready...
I hope so too. If they release it with PRIME V, then it would be pretty embarrassing if it didn't.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-20-2018, 10:51 PM - 2 Likes   #405
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LXNights Quote
I just hope this model has 4K video at least,
courses for horses hey
I wouldn't mind if they took video out all together, leave in live view only, and concentrated on a brilliant stills camera.