Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 685 Likes Search this Thread
04-21-2018, 04:27 AM   #406
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
courses for horses hey
I wouldn't mind if they took video out all together, leave in live view only, and concentrated on a brilliant stills camera.
You and I are ideal Pentax customers - but other customers have both needs and seem determined to have one camera meet both of them, unlike the film era solution of having a camera customized for each need.

04-21-2018, 04:49 AM   #407
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
having a camera customized for each need.
sounds good to me, I used to have one with 125 and one with 400 ISO film loaded, sometime one with colour and one with black and white, or had up to 4 cameras on the go, mainly two at a time, still do, out with the K-5 and K-3, or one digital one film
04-21-2018, 06:24 AM   #408

I hope Pentax keeps the 24mp and just improves everything else on the camera. The higher megapixel war is meaningless to most photographers so I can image an amazing DSLR superseding everything because its resources won't be eaten up by more megapixels. Looking forward to a K3iii.
04-23-2018, 12:46 PM   #409
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

C'mon Pentax....you're making us wait soooooooo long for this!!

04-23-2018, 01:20 PM   #410

Another interview

Ricoh @ CP+: Rewarding K-1 fans with a major upgrade, plus what comes next after the K-3 II?

summary:

"TA: We will continue to have the flagship which
comes... Let's say it wouldn't be a straight successor of the K-3, but anyway, the flagship in the APS-C format -- even the K-series -- will come. And surely, that development or study for the development has already started. Yeah, we cannot say when, but it will come one day."

STUDY FOR THE DEVELOPMENT HAS STARTED = we have nothing.

This is the project phase 1, where you try to put together requirements for new product. Then the development begins and after 3-4 years the product might be ready.... that means 2018 + 3 = 2021 being optimistic.
That is suicide.

So lets be more realistic - as we can see how poor the improvements are in last bodies over predecessors and how poor the investments in development probably are, we can expect some KPII maybe in late 2019 with just minor improvements (Like K5-K5II, K3-K3II, K1-K1II), and with exactly the same body shell & controls layout, which would save time and keep development costs down. But that won't help Pentax to drag any new customers.. not even to keep them.

That is what I'm afraid.

Anyway they also need to prepare some K70 successor and 645Z successor.. next year is 100th Pentax anniversary... lets hope it won't be sad anniversary
04-23-2018, 01:43 PM - 3 Likes   #411
Pentaxian

You're making up things. Your conclusions are not derived in any way from what he said.
Wait, didn't I hear all this before?
04-23-2018, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #412
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by xmeda Quote
Anyway they also need to prepare some K70 successor and 645Z successor.. next year is 100th Pentax anniversary... lets hope it won't be sad anniversary
It's an very interesting comment for me. I observed some people practice photography as a hobby costing them very little money, as they use old DSLR kits that costs costs 150 euros and without exif no one can tell the difference. Other people aren't happy with current camera model, they want the successors, and that is priceless.

04-23-2018, 02:13 PM   #413
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

So lets be more realistic - as we can see how poor the improvements are in last bodies over predecessors and how poor the investments in development probably are, we can expect some KPII maybe in late 2019 with just minor improvements (Like K5-K5II, K3-K3II, K1-K1II), and with exactly the same body shell & controls layout, which would save time and keep development costs down. But that won't help Pentax to drag any new customers.. not even to keep them.

That is what I'm afraid.
Don't be afraid!

You use the word "poor" to describe improvements in recent bodies. Instead of "poor", I would say "incremental". DSLRs are rather mature products in terms of design, whichever brand you look at. They're already extracting most of what can be done with available mass-market technologies and components, and they've been through many iterations of body shape and user interface. Given that, most improvements are likely to be incremental and dependent on tweaks to existing technologies or availability of improved technologies.

Then again, how much more do we really need our cameras to do?

As for using the same body shell and layout... respectfully, what's wrong with that? It's taken me a long time to admit that an articulating screen can be useful (actually, I still prefer the robustness of non-articulating screens), but I can see why that would be a useful upgrade for many people. Some assignable custom buttons? Maybe some buttons moved or made bigger or smaller for ergonomic reasons? Yep. I'm up for that. But otherwise... I have real difficulty seeing how the K-3II could be drastically improved in terms of operability...
04-23-2018, 02:19 PM - 1 Like   #414
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Don't be afraid!
Afraid is not the proper word. Hint: it starts with the next letter.

Mr. Takashi Arai makes quite clear that he's talking about a proper APS-C flagship. xmeda says we won't see one, just "some KP II". Is he trying to "punish" Pentax for being late, by driving potential customers away from the brand? I don't care the reason; it's deliberate misinformation.
04-23-2018, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #415
Veteran Member

Boris Cleto'd
04-23-2018, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #416
Pentaxian

Ricoh @ CP+: Rewarding K-1 fans with a major upgrade, plus what comes next after the K-3 II?

summary:

"TA: We will continue to have the flagship which
comes... Let's say it wouldn't be a straight successor of the K-3, but anyway, the flagship in the APS-C format -- even the K-series -- will come. And surely, that development or study for the development has already started. Yeah, we cannot say when, but it will come one day."

This is the project phase 1, where you try to put together requirements for new product. Then the development begins and after 3-4 years the product might be ready.... that means 2018 + 3 = 2021 being optimistic.
That is suicide.

That is what I'm afraid.
I was part of major U.S. DOD projects that went faster than that. You are not being realistic - you are being silly. They are not building 'from scratch' - they have built a few cameras by now. Even if they were building a MILC, they wouldn't be building 'from scratch' - only the EVF would be a totally new adventure. I have never been a member of a team developing a camera, so I'm missing some of the details of how one would implement a prototype. But from my experience of teams developing lab equipment and digital radios, I am quite certain that Pentax could meld functionality from K-1ii and KP into a K-3ii and come up with a very credible K-3iii with the year. I believe they are aiming higher than that, so it will take a little longer ... but not the time frame you're implying.
04-23-2018, 08:36 PM   #417
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ricoh took more than 2 years and 4 months to go from concept to product with the K-1. If the K-3iii is a completely new camera, then I suppose it could take as long to develop. If, however, the K-3iii is more of a derivative design, based upon the K-3ii and the KP, then the development cycle may well be shorter.

Only time will tell!
04-23-2018, 10:45 PM   #418
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
If the K-3iii is a completely new camera, then I suppose it could take as long to develop.
Yes, I'm sure RI have been listening to K3 users for a while,the discontinuance of the K3ii has significance too.It might be the next "flagpost"(they sit on top of a ship) wont be too long.RI havent been very direct at providing information until development is near complete.

Six months(Photokina), we may have some more info ?...Other companies leaks are indicating they have new stuff,so RI may even beat them to an announcement.

= we have nothing.
Thats one way of interpreting a statement,however another is...its underway and its finished when its finished and to as high standard.

Another company stated recently in and interview that when they develop a new body, they listen to their customers for a year,then it takes another year to develop the body.So a 2 year development, then they were asked about lenses and said "that takes longer".Sigma have publicly stated that their glass is usually a 3 year project.

Rome want built in a day,Japan is a long way from Rome so be prepared to wait a couple( hundred) of days!
04-23-2018, 11:16 PM - 1 Like   #419
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
only the EVF would be a totally new adventure
Not exactly: Ricoh VF-2 External LCD Viewfinder 170423 B&H Photo Video
04-24-2018, 12:20 AM   #420
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Then again, how much more do we really need our cameras to do?
I think still a lot of people would like to post to social media directly from the camera. Run on Android so it's the same as their smartphone.

Oh wait...I just quit Facebook........