Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2018, 04:07 AM - 1 Like   #556
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh, one more thing.

Bring back the aperture ring. How can I use a newer lens that doesn’t have one on an extension tube, bellows or reversed for macro without one?

The latest lenses are useless without an aperture ring.

05-25-2018, 05:23 AM - 1 Like   #557
mee
Veteran Member

How can a thread about rumors (x4rd's) be locked due to lack of rumors, yet threads where people discuss anything but actual rumors (such as this one) continue to linger in the News and Rumors section? While I can appreciate the discussion has moved beyond 'I like red' or 'blue is the best', shouldn't this thread also be locked by the same explanation given in locking the other (lack of news and rumors)?
05-25-2018, 07:27 AM   #558
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Oh, one more thing.

Bring back the aperture ring. How can I use a newer lens that doesn’t have one on an extension tube, bellows or reversed for macro without one?

The latest lenses are useless without an aperture ring.

i'd settle for some -not from 1975- extension tubes. the pentax branded ex tubes work wonderully on ff, but they lack any contacts... so unusable on lots of lenses. all 3rd party ex tubes/deglassed teleconverters with contacts will (at over 30mm extension or so) vingette on ff and/or cause weird hazy/ghosting in the center of the image and possibly cause a lack of contrast. the pentax tubes do not.
05-25-2018, 07:48 AM   #559
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
It has to be bitterness, gloating and / or attention seeking. Possibly all three...
Yes....just like small children throwing a tantrum to gain attention.

05-25-2018, 07:49 AM - 1 Like   #560
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
How can a thread about rumors (x4rd's) be locked due to lack of rumors, yet threads where people discuss anything but actual rumors (such as this one) continue to linger in the News and Rumors section? While I can appreciate the discussion has moved beyond 'I like red' or 'blue is the best', shouldn't this thread also be locked by the same explanation given in locking the other (lack of news and rumors)?
The thread started with genuine news from Adam, so it's valid that it was posted, and remains, in this forum.

Generally, we only close threads that don't meet the criteria for forum-specific content, or have become problematic due to posting outside our forum rules (e.g. inappropriate conduct).

The fact that discussion has continued and evolved beyond Adam's original topic is fine, IMHO - so long as discussion remains cordial
05-25-2018, 08:58 AM - 1 Like   #561
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The fact that discussion has continued and evolved beyond ... (the) original topic ...
Isn't that always the case ?

(including this very post here)
05-25-2018, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #562
Pentaxian

You mean it is squirrel time?

Actual selfmade photos of cute animals might indeed raise the quality level of these types of threads. And the general mood as well.

05-25-2018, 10:24 AM   #563
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Well I for one sold my K3 and went for the KP, only to sell the KP and go for a K3II. And accept its limitations.
I now see the K3(II) as the pinnacle of an evolution towards a very good wildlife/birding camera, save for a limited higher iso performance and a limited AF system.
But to me it was telling that I now am at peace with the idea of using the K3II until I am ready to step up to another brand (that inherently costs a lot more )

So sure, there is a psychological element in the drive for a perpetual upgrade, only to find that you might have already used a very good to best possible camera in its class (if it comes to enjoying the images it produces). I am no longer that convinced that the next flagship will be better than the K3II. Sure, in some regards, but in others? It may be different, and I may like its IQ more or perhaps less than the K3II. But even seeing lots of images from a camera like the D500 (or the older 7DII), I am not so sure that I would gain a lot switching to one of these cameras IQ wise. It would be solely for the better lenses in the super telephoto class and for the better AF.

Anyhow, I am no longer "waiting" for a K3II successor.....

Chris
05-25-2018, 07:52 PM   #564
mee
Veteran Member

The thread started with genuine news from Adam, so it's valid that it was posted, and remains, in this forum.

Generally, we only close threads that don't meet the criteria for forum-specific content, or have become problematic due to posting outside our forum rules (e.g. inappropriate conduct).

The fact that discussion has continued and evolved beyond Adam's original topic is fine, IMHO - so long as discussion remains cordial

I find the rules are difficult to understand... they seem to shift based on time of day, tilt of the sun, and height of the tide. But ok.. back to lurk mode.
05-26-2018, 12:05 AM - 1 Like   #565
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I find the rules are difficult to understand... they seem to shift based on time of day, tilt of the sun, and height of the tide. But ok.. back to lurk mode.
They haven't changed significantly in the time I've been moderating. How we interpret them involves a certain amount of personal judgement relative to the individual situation, but where possible we're pretty consistent. Drop me a PM if there's anything you're unsure of, and I'll do my best to explain

For the benefit of any newer members reading the thread, our forum rules can be found here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/29-welcomes-introductions/1-welcome-forum-rules.html

For what it's worth, I've moved the thread to the K-3 DSLR forum. I see no reason to close it, but even the original subject is no longer news, so it's appropriate to move it

Last edited by BigMackCam; 05-26-2018 at 12:10 AM.
06-10-2018, 01:46 PM   #566
Forum Member

I cannot understand why the K3ii ceased production when its replacement was not ready. I am a K3ii user in the UK and mine failed and needed to be replaced by Pentax. It took them ages to get me a refurbished one. They are out of stock now in the UK.
06-10-2018, 02:42 PM   #567

QuoteOriginally posted by tigershoot Quote
I cannot understand why the K3ii ceased production when its replacement was not ready. I am a K3ii user in the UK and mine failed and needed to be replaced by Pentax. It took them ages to get me a refurbished one. They are out of stock now in the UK.
The reason was that Pentax/Ricoh had the opinion that K-P was the replacement for K-3ii. They probably wanted to move down the APS-C level a bit, making room for more than one FF.

Then come complaints about that plan. And now they claim that there shall be a K-3ii replacement eventually. No time plan given though.
06-10-2018, 03:04 PM   #568
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Roland Karlsson Quote
The reason was that Pentax/Ricoh had the opinion that K-P was the replacement for K-3ii. They probably wanted to move down the APS-C level a bit, making room for more than one FF.

Then come complaints about that plan. And now they claim that there shall be a K-3ii replacement eventually. No time plan given though.
I really like having the GPS which is why I would never consider the KP. GPS is incredibly handy for travel shots which are what I mainly do
06-10-2018, 03:23 PM   #569
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tigershoot Quote
It's quite possible that some of the components to mass-manufacture the K-3II are no longer readily available (or not economically so for small runs), and that Ricoh only maintains stocks of parts for warranty servicing. Or perhaps the line was no longer profitable to manufacture and sell at the most recent pricing, or maybe it was taking away sales from the KP which may be a more profitable model for Ricoh. There are all sorts of other possible reasons, none of which any manufacturer is going to disclose to the market.

The fact remains that the K-3II is no more, and Ricoh undoubtedly had sound business reasons for that being the case...
06-10-2018, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #570
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Roland Karlsson Quote

I'd be careful with making statements like your first paragraph. Pentax is very closed with intentions. My opinion is that Pentax doesn't need more than one flagship - and the K-1 is that flagship. My opinion is that Pentax originally thought that crop-mode on the K-1 would suffice for some people leaving the K-3ii behind, and the KP would suffice for the others, and they started thinking about a followup to the K-3ii only when users started asking about that. My opinions explain what we see, but other scenarios, such as those by @BigMackCam, would also.