Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2018, 03:40 PM - 1 Like   #571
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tigershoot Quote
I really like having the GPS which is why I would never consider the KP. GPS is incredibly handy for travel shots which are what I mainly do
And, yet, when the K-3ii first came out, some said they had no use for the GPS and loss of the OnBoardFlash was unacceptable.

06-11-2018, 02:24 AM - 1 Like   #572
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
And, yet, when the K-3ii first came out, some said they had no use for the GPS and loss of the OnBoardFlash was unacceptable.
camera without flash is not acceptable by any means... GPS handy, but Flash is needed.
06-11-2018, 03:02 AM   #573
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
GPS handy, but Flash is needed.
Why? Optical slave is not reliable in most cases and needs a direct line between the on board flash and the slave flash and using the on board flash is kind of a joke if you think of the limitations that it has. I rather use the light from the smartphone if I have to illuminate something from close distance.
06-11-2018, 04:16 AM - 1 Like   #574
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Why? Optical slave is not reliable in most cases and needs a direct line between the on board flash and the slave flash and using the on board flash is kind of a joke if you think of the limitations that it has. I rather use the light from the smartphone if I have to illuminate something from close distance.
I can see you don't have much experiance

06-11-2018, 07:04 AM   #575
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K3iii? Is this really coming out in Sept? Is it going to be the same as K3ii with an articulating screen? That'll do it for me personally but are the rumors real? I need to upgrade from my KS-2 and I want to be patient in case the K-3iii is potentially on the horizon... any input?
06-11-2018, 08:50 AM   #576
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ellicottva Quote
K3iii? Is this really coming out in Sept? Is it going to be the same as K3ii with an articulating screen? That'll do it for me personally but are the rumors real? I need to upgrade from my KS-2 and I want to be patient in case the K-3iii is potentially on the horizon... any input?
Nobody here knows. But I would highly doubt anything will be announced in September.
06-11-2018, 08:51 AM   #577
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ellicottva Quote
No one here really knows when it's supposed to come out & what features it will have. Some say this September, while others say sometime next year. There's an upcoming DA* 11-18mm f/2.8 lens that's supposed to be arriving in September, hence some people thinking that the K-3II replacement will be coming out at the same time, but there's no definite answer. I kind of doubt that it will be out this year. The recent batch of Pentax bodies have some kind of tilting or articulating screen, so there's a pretty big chance that it will have one too, but we don't really know.

The only definite thing that we do know is that Ricoh is working on the K-3II replacement right now, but as far as the release date & features go, no one knows. It's all speculation for now.

06-11-2018, 08:54 AM - 3 Likes   #578
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
camera without flash is not acceptable by any means... GPS handy, but Flash is needed.
It has a hot shoe.
06-11-2018, 09:44 AM   #579
Veteran Member

With the in board flash? I have enough to know that I don't need the in board flash or a GPS on my camera. I have both features on my phone and my phone is always with me.
06-11-2018, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #580
Pentaxian

This is not an answer. I have been using a camera for over fifty years now, and I use any flash only on rare occasions these days; I have never used the built-in flash on my K-30. Without being condescending, please explain why a built in flash is essential - most users of built-in flash I've seen are those who think they can use it to illuminate the beginning of a night-time auto-race.
06-11-2018, 11:07 AM   #581
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
This is not an answer. I have been using a camera for over fifty years now, and I use any flash only on rare occasions these days; I have never used the built-in flash on my K-30. Without being condescending, please explain why a built in flash is essential - most users of built-in flash I've seen are those who think they can use it to illuminate the beginning of a night-time auto-race.

Dear Mister "50 years" time is changed for good, and new techniques became available.

I can understand your superirity without flash, because it's the thing you do know.... I have different technique, which many times include flash.

Flash is the thing I use... And for me personally - it's a must have option.

I can starting here a list in which cases I found it's a must have.

Flash is good. But yes, I understand the many photographers not need it, and most importantly, they do not know how to use it corectly.

Flash is a destroyer of ambient light, and many just don't use it because they're afraid to ruin their photos, with unwanted, and uncontrolable light.

--

Flash is very handy for many purposes, and it's a photographers tool.

Maybe someone doesn't want to shoot in 1/8000 sec speed, but I think the camera must have it.

It's a tool. And as a tool, it must be for everybody purposes, and needs.
Specially ones,

where your camera need extra light.

Flash is one of the main tools. And on board flash is a life saviour, many times.

So, dear mister

the camera features are not ment to be only your fantasy - its a rather tool for everybody who need such.
06-11-2018, 11:30 AM   #582
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
No, built in flash is not necessary.

With my *ist Ds, I used the built in flash - seven times. With my K10D, I used the flash 5 times. With my K20D, I used the flash twice - once just to see if it works.
Using built in flash gives the impression that the sun is coming out of the photographers forehead. The harsh shadows, flat light and red eye are dead giveaways that built in flash is being used.

Just ask yourself this - venturing off into pedantic land here - just how many "Professional" digital camera are equipped with a weak, little intrusive flash? I can't think of any brand that has equipped their high end bodies with a flash. And as for the attitude that built in flash is a good thing I suggest that you investigate how to use a speedlight when you need to use flash.

I am old enough to remember the days of 35mm SLR's, TLR's and rangefinders that did not have this new thing called a "hot shoe" and, you know, I do know how to use off camera flash in pure manual mode. I also have five off camera flashes but I rarely use them. As a matter of fact I have used them more times than all of the times I used the built in flash listed above. The first camera I bought with a built in flash was my Pentax SF-1 and the first accessory I bought was a external flash because the built in one was a joke.

I specifically bought the K-3II because of the GPS. I do not need to go through each image and add in geotagging information which while doable is a time sucking pain. On my last vacation I had to add in GPS information on less than 100 images, out of just over 6K images. Yeah, GPS is the way to go - kill the in camera flash - long live the (external) flash.
06-11-2018, 11:31 AM   #583
Pentaxian

Dear Mister "50 years" time is changed for good, and new techniques became available.
I mentioned 50 years only because you raised the issue of experience.
The camera I purchased 49 years ago had a hot shoe; I used flash bulbs in it first, but then this new technique called "strobe" came out.
If I remember correctly, the highest "ASA" {now} ISO film available then was 64, but eventually I was using 400 or higher, and today Pentax makes much higher values available.

I can understand your superirity without flash, because it's the thing you do know.... I have different technique, which many times include flash.

Flash is the thing I use... And for me personally - it's a must have option.

I can starting here a list in which cases I found it's a must have.
There is nothing inherently superior or inferior about flash - but the tiny point-source OnBoard Flash is inferior for many applications; it throws harsh shadows the few times it has enough power to influence anything. In most cases an external flash, often with something to further spread the light, is the preferred way.

Flash is good. But yes, I understand the many photographers not need it, and most importantly, they do not know how to use it corectly.

Flash is a destroyer of ambient light, and many just don't use it because they're afraid to ruin their photos, with unwanted, and uncontrolable light.
With photography we are recording light. Yes, flash destroys ambient light, and often ambient light is part of the story, so flash is changing the story. If that is what you want to do, that is great, but my main interest is in preserving the story.

Flash is very handy for many purposes, and it's a photographers tool.

Maybe someone doesn't want to shoot in 1/8000 sec speed, but I think the camera must have it.

It's a tool. And as a tool, it must be for everybody purposes, and needs.
Specially ones,

where your camera need extra light.

Flash is one of the main tools. And on board flash is a life saviour, many times.

So, dear mister

the camera features are not ment to be only your fantasy - its a rather tool for everybody who need such.
Lots of words here, but not an answer - no reason why you can't use a flash in the hot shoe.
06-11-2018, 11:41 AM   #584
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Lots of words here, but not an answer - .
and you did not understand neither of them

QuoteQuote:
no reason why you can't use a flash in the hot shoe.
yes, there is a reason. I dont want to use external. Because If I want to carry around some small thing, it would be not much better then on board one. Then why not use on board flash.

And if I go somwhere I usually carry a big one and pair it with on board to work together sometimes. . .. You must be the men with 5 hands, and 3 more pockets then rest of us

One more thing,

Flash is not necceary destroyer of ambiant light, if you can use it right.

People often dont know how to use it, and external flash is not any better, if you do not know how to handle it. And many don't.

So once again,

For those kind of folks on board TTL flash is a very handy.

did you understand now ?
06-11-2018, 12:03 PM   #585
Pentaxian

and you did not understand neither of them

And if I go somwhere I usually carry a big one and

So once again,

For those kind of folks on board TTL flash is a very handy.

did you understand now ?
I've understood you all along - and totally disagree.

QuoteQuote:
One more thing,
Flash is not necceary destroyer of ambiant light, if you can use it right.
People often dont know how to use it, and external flash is not any better, if you do not know how to handle it. And many don't.
Any time you add light to a scene, you are over-riding the light that was already there - you are changing it.

QuoteQuote:
yes, there is a reason. I dont want to use external. Because If I want to carry around some small thing, it would be not much better then on board one. Then why not use on board flash.
All OnBoard Flash units are tiny point-source things. They all create harsh shadows. Period.