Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2018, 06:07 AM - 2 Likes   #616
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dear Pentax: Please put both the GPS and the pop up flash in your next iteration of the K-3. Just so good friends and fellow Pentaxians don't argue with so much passion over one or the other and instead take their energy and focus it towards great photography!

06-19-2018, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #617
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ellicottva Quote
Dear Pentax: Please put both the GPS and the pop up flash in your next iteration of the K-3. Just so good friends and fellow Pentaxians don't argue with so much passion over one or the other and instead take their energy and focus it towards great photography!
...they could put one on the hump on the top, and make a similar hump on the bottom.
Then you'd need a gyroscopic sensor like on smartphones, so the camera could tell which side you're holding up, and turn one on an the other off
06-19-2018, 07:41 AM - 3 Likes   #618
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
...they could put one on the hump on the top, and make a similar hump on the bottom.
Then you'd need a gyroscopic sensor like on smartphones, so the camera could tell which side you're holding up, and turn one on an the other off
LOL! Love it!

And what about mirroring all the controls on the bottom of the camera, too. That way left-handed people will finally have a DSLR made from them. Pentax could grab 10% of all camera sales overnight!
06-19-2018, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #619
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
And what about mirroring all the controls on the bottom of the camera, too. That way left-handed people will finally have a DSLR made from them. Pentax could grab 10% of all camera sales overnight!
I'm assuming this is a joke.

I've always been left handed - my parents observed I threw toys out of the playpen with my left hand, so they never tried to change me - but many years ago I learned conventional camera controls, and I doubt I could learn otherwise now.

06-19-2018, 08:44 AM   #620
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I'm assuming this is a joke.

I've always been left handed - my parents observed I threw toys out of the playpen with my left hand, so they never tried to change me - but many years ago I learned conventional camera controls, and I doubt I could learn otherwise now.
I'm right-handed.
But I tie my necktie with my left hand
06-19-2018, 08:09 PM - 1 Like   #621
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ellicottva Quote
Nah, they should remove them both to troll us all. And then include some feature none of us could have ever conceived, yet is destined to become critical for all future cameras. So easy!
06-20-2018, 02:47 AM - 2 Likes   #622
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I am ambidextrous.

When will they make a camera that accommodates me?

06-20-2018, 05:02 AM - 1 Like   #623
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I am ambidextrous.

When will they make a camera that accommodates me?
Speed Graphic- with 4 hands you can simultaneously swap film, change flash bulbs, set shutter/aperture, and focus. Use a bulb release so you can stomp on it to release the shutter.

In my opinion, the only individual who might not be able to adapt easily to current dSLR cameras is an individual missing a right hand. I say easily rather than impossible because it wouldn't be difficult to add a left side grip with a shutter release. Tripod socket mounted left-hand grips with a flash shoe on top used to be pretty common accessories. Once upon a time I had a reason to put a cable release on one and use my right hand to focus.

With today's electrical remote release (versus the older cable releases), it would be rather simple to mount a push button and wire it to the K-3 socket. Auto-focus, and multiple auto-exposure options take care of the rest.
06-20-2018, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #624
Pentaxian

I thought the flash vs GPS issue was hashed out years ago. I think it is time to agree to disagree and MOVE ON.
06-20-2018, 07:46 AM   #625
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
I thought the flash vs GPS issue was hashed out years ago. I think it is time to agree to disagree and MOVE ON.
What? and miss all the heated discussion?
06-20-2018, 08:14 AM   #626
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
But, debating that might give the number of posts needed to assure that a K-1 lottery will occur.
06-20-2018, 08:30 AM - 2 Likes   #627
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
But, debating that might give the number of posts needed to assure that a K-1 lottery will occur.
This person has spoken with the wisdom of the ages. Now I direct you ponder the most arduous task in the universe. Can you please get the Indiana Turnpike back in shape? PPPLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE?????????????????
06-20-2018, 08:49 AM   #628
Pentaxian

It's pretty amazing how passionately people will fight over (to me) peripheral issues such as built-in flash vrs GPS. I've shot a lot of macro with the built-in flash, and Pentax has often, historically, put reasonably powerful ones in their DSLRs. But seriously, do I care much? No. I care a lot more about the timeframe in which the K-3 replacement will come than I do about whether it will have built-in flash or GPS, or both, or neither even...
06-20-2018, 01:18 PM   #629

There is no need to remove one to keep the other. The only reason why K3II does not have flash is, that they simply reused the whole body and added horrible plastic dome at the top. That was design disaster driven ONLY BY COST SAVING MEASURES and nobody should try to explain how there is no place for GPS in camera body such huge as K7/K5/K3 line, while it can be perfectly fitted into tiny wristwatch. It easily can be placed under top LCD status display with zero impact on accuracy or usability.

K1 is 2010-2011 project, basically prototype that went to market and then was replaced by finished model called K1II.

Dan Rentea:

Considering your previous post: try to take picture of yourself in the bathroom with light switched off while having only camera body and lens. Then you'll quickly understand what is the difference between having some picture and having zero picture. Talking tales about ambient light is completely out of the scope and you missed the point obviously. And please don't try to "explain" to me how flash photography works or how to balance available light with flash. I know well what build in tiny unit is capable of and what one or more hot-shoe mounted flashes + external flashes can do.
If you work with softboxes then you can pack Cactus V6II triggers (that even enable you to use HSS) and do not bother with easily portable wireless flash commander. But the truth is, that for example AF540FGZ can reliably fire when triggered by commander IF YOU TURN THE LIGHT SENSOR TOWARDS THE CAMERA WITH COMMANDER. Logically if you just place the flash somewhere and lit its backside, it won't fire.
(+ there also is difference between slave1 and slave2, because of pre-flash intensity + duration and communication method. Long story shor: AF540FGZ switched to slave 2 with sensor facing camera can be fired outside at 15 meters by build-in pop up flash easily with no need of any other dedicated equipment)

Not to mention that for softboxes and serous shooting it is not usual to use hot-shoe flashes placed in softbox. Dedicated units with build-in radio and external power source are being used. But that is completely different story that has nothing to do with portable wireless solution that Pentax offered for ages and that was killed in K3II+K1 just to save some miserable $5 on unit production cost.

Last body was KP and it has its flash back. Reduced in power and size, but back. And I hope that some photographer returned to drive the design center instead of being ruled by accountants.

Last edited by xmeda; 06-20-2018 at 01:21 PM. Reason: update
06-20-2018, 01:25 PM   #630
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
This person has spoken with the wisdom of the ages. Now I direct you ponder the most arduous task in the universe. Can you please get the Indiana Turnpike back in shape? PPPLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE?????????????????
Well, the governor before Pence sold it .... and then that company went bankrupt ....