Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 685 Likes Search this Thread
06-27-2018, 07:47 AM   #646
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Not relevant to my comment. The KP has the same build quality, including metal body, that the K-3 family does.
I wasn't aware that the KP had a mag alloy body. Thanks for the correction. The card slot critique stands, though.

**Upon doing a little research, it looks like the KP isn't quite the same build quality as the K3 family. It looks like it is a combo mag alloy/polycarbonate body.

Last edited by neokind; 06-27-2018 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Updated
06-27-2018, 07:57 AM   #647
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not relevant to my comment. The KP has the same build quality, including metal body, that the K-3 family does.
I stand corrected but that still leaves quirky ergonomics with the vertical front E-dial wheel and single card slot
06-27-2018, 08:00 AM   #648
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I stand corrected but that still leaves quirky ergonomics with the vertical front E-dial wheel and single card slot
So the front dial is different? I barely noticed once I started taking pictures with mine!
06-27-2018, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #649
Pentaxian

I'm not sure why you need something in the K-3 line to replace K-50. I see the KP as a more than adequate K30/50 replacement.
The KP's ergonomics & other missing flagship features were the deal breaker for me. I've already played around with one & it didn't do nothing for me. There's nothing wrong with it. It's a great camera with slightly better AF, IBIS, & much better IQ for its intended crowd, but I'm not the intended crowd. Heck, I'll even take a K-70 over the KP. I'd rather do a mirrorless camera instead if I was looking at something similar to the KP.

I much prefer the build, speed, feel, & heft of the K-3II. The K-3II feels perfect in my hands. More perfect than the K-50 & the Nikon D7200 that I use at times. My guess is that the K-3II replacement will have far more excellence & win in every respect.

06-27-2018, 02:51 PM   #650
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
If that is tapioca, it is.
It should be oats, porridge, image off the web.

---------- Post added 28-06-18 at 07:54 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
If that is tapioca, it is.
it should be oats, porridge, image off the web
06-27-2018, 03:26 PM   #651
Pentaxian

Honestly, you guys are being really picky. I remember all the upset when the K-3ii didn't have an OnBoard Flash. Unless you're getting spectacular service from your current camera, you are missing out if you wait determinedly for a camera with certain features, and not knowing what else will be packaged with those features - all the good photos you are forfeiting right now

Two quotes from the PF review

Pentax KP Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

"While we still consider the Pentax K-3 II to be the APS-C flagship model due to features such as higher burst speeds and dual SD slots, as this review will show, the Pentax KP actually surpasses the K-3 II in image quality and customization options and it doesn't lag far behind the K-3 II in ruggedness. "

"The Pentax KP feels solid in the hand as the body is made of magnesium alloy on top of a stainless steel chassis. The top plate and prism house, though, is polycarbonate, but that doesn't take anything away from the overall impression of a sturdy camera."
06-27-2018, 04:53 PM   #652
Veteran Member

Honestly, you guys are being really picky. I remember all the upset when the K-3ii didn't have an OnBoard Flash. Unless you're getting spectacular service from your current camera, you are missing out if you wait determinedly for a camera with certain features, and not knowing what else will be packaged with those features - all the good photos you are forfeiting right now
Fair enough. If someone were to need to upgrade, I wouldn't recommend waiting for an unannounced body. The K3ii or KP would both be excellent choices. But, if I was looking to upgrade from a K5 or K3, and wanted a 'flagship' camera in their tradition, I wouldn't consider the KP to be the one to fill that slot. Again, it's not to diminish the KP. I'm sure it's an excellent camera, and I've really only heard good things about it.

06-27-2018, 05:52 PM   #653
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Honestly, you guys are being really picky. I remember all the upset when the K-3ii didn't have an OnBoard Flash. Unless you're getting spectacular service from your current camera, you are missing out if you wait determinedly for a camera with certain features, and not knowing what else will be packaged with those features - all the good photos you are forfeiting right now[/I]"
Have you ever handled a K-3/K-3II at all? If you had then you would know the difference. Every control falls readily at hand. For instance when I move my forefinger from the shutter button to the front e-dial I don't have to lift it off the camera and bend it at a weird angle the way it appears you have to do with the KP. Its just a smooth quick movement. Reaching the ISO and EV compensation buttons is a slight move back from the shutter button. Other buttons are just as easily accessible. I haven't handled the KP as of yet but from what I have seen its just not as ergonomically efficient a the K-3/K-3II. It (KP) can definitely autofocus better and does have better IQ but I'm willing to wait to see what comes out from Pentax. My 4 yr old almost brand new K-3 still has me loving it.

Larry
06-27-2018, 05:56 PM   #654
Pentaxian

Have you ever handled a K-3/K-3II at all? If you had then you would know the difference. Every control falls readily at hand. For instance when I move my forefinger from the shutter button to the front e-dial I don't have to lift it off the camera and bend it at a weird angle the way it appears you have to do with the KP. Its just a smooth quick movement. Reaching the ISO and EV compensation buttons is a slight move back from the shutter button. Other buttons are just as easily accessible. I haven't handled the KP as of yet but from what I have seen its just not as ergonomically efficient a the K-3/K-3II. It (KP) can definitely autofocus better and does have better IQ but I'm willing to wait to see what comes out from Pentax. My 4 yr old almost brand new K-3 still has me loving it.

Larry
I haven't handled a KP yet either. The only two bodies I've handle are my Q-7 and my K-30, and I managed to adjust to both of them ... in fact, I alternate between them with no issue. I should add that I am a very deliberate shooter - I make changes slowly and carefully, and rethink what I'm doing over and over again. I'm not convinced that most photographers need instant adjustment. If you're happy with your K-3, then just keep loving it - in fact, why even think of another?
06-27-2018, 07:26 PM   #655
Veteran Member

Larry
Moving from the K-x to the K3ii took some time to learn the new capabilities and controls. It was bigger, heavier, and more sturdily built. It definitely felt 'professional' compared to the more consumer graded K-x. There were some added external controls that took some time to adjust to using. But, once I got the hang of it I really only shot manual in just about every setting. I really liked being able to rapidly adjust the exposure to compensate for changing light without having to move the viewfinder from my eye. I realize that everyone shoots differently, but for those who want this type of control and performance, it's hard to find outside of a package like the K3ii or K1. That's why I think there's eagerness for a crop sensor successor to the K3. Of course there are other options, but none meets these needs outside of the K1 while retaining access to the collection of great glass that Pentax has designed for aps-c.
06-27-2018, 07:31 PM   #656
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I haven't handled a KP yet either. The only two bodies I've handle are my Q-7 and my K-30, and I managed to adjust to both of them ... in fact, I alternate between them with no issue. I should add that I am a very deliberate shooter - I make changes slowly and carefully, and rethink what I'm doing over and over again. I'm not convinced that most photographers need instant adjustment. If you're happy with your K-3, then just keep loving it - in fact, why even think of another?
Well before I kick the bucket, I plan to buy one more Pentax. I want one with at least better AF and tracking than the K-3 which I have learned to adapt to and get reasonable photos from. I've toyed with buying a K-1 but that means a few new lens and for me being retired I'm just not prepared to do.

Larry

---------- Post added 06-27-18 at 09:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by neokind Quote
Moving from the K-x to the K3ii took some time to learn the new capabilities and controls. It was bigger, heavier, and more sturdily built. It definitely felt 'professional' compared to the more consumer graded K-x. There were some added external controls that took some time to adjust to using. But, once I got the hang of it I really only shot manual in just about every setting. I really liked being able to rapidly adjust the exposure to compensate for changing light without having to move the viewfinder from my eye. I realize that everyone shoots differently, but for those who want this type of control and performance, it's hard to find outside of a package like the K3ii or K1. That's why I think there's eagerness for a crop sensor successor to the K3. Of course there are other options, but none meets these needs outside of the K1 while retaining access to the collection of great glass that Pentax has designed for aps-c.
I agree whole heartedly!!

Larry
06-27-2018, 08:35 PM   #657
Veteran Member

Well before I kick the bucket, I plan to buy one more Pentax. I want one with at least better AF and tracking than the K-3 which I have learned to adapt to and get reasonable photos from. I've toyed with buying a K-1 but that means a few new lens and for me being retired I'm just not prepared to do.

Larry
I was in the same boat...except the kicking the bucket part, I hope! With no K3ii successor on the horizon, and needing some upgraded features (AF, FF, etc) I would have to sell off my DA lenses and buy new FA glass to move to the K1. So, I ultimately decided to go mirrorless with Sony after hanging out with a pro photographer during a photo session in May. I didn't want to move from Pentax (and Sony glass is WAY more expen$$ive), but the results he was getting in session and directly out of camera were incredible. I was sold. He was shooting an A7riii as his travel camera and was really impressed with it. Seeing as most of his commercial work is with Hasselblad kit, it meant a lot to hear that. I am tempted to hold on to some of my Pentax lenses though because I have always loved what they offer. I may end up buying the K3 successor as a backup. Who knows?
06-28-2018, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #658
Pentaxian

Maybe Adam will give you a K-1 .... then the money you would have spent on camera could go to lenses instead.
06-28-2018, 12:38 PM   #659
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe Adam will give you a K-1 .... then the money you would have spent on camera could go to lenses instead.
Yeah if he would just give me a minute or so heads up before he opens the raffle maybe I could win one! If not I'm not even going to bother, the traffic will probably overwhelm the servers.

Larry
06-28-2018, 12:41 PM   #660
Veteran Member

Yeah if he would just give me a minute or so heads up before he opens the raffle maybe I could win one! If not I'm not even going to bother, the traffic will probably overwhelm the servers.

Larry
Did he state in which section of the site it would be created?